AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,281 of 5,890
Is it an issue of the T800 shell pressing on the lower part of the ear? Or the nozzle pressing inside the ear? The T800 shell is quite large, but there are no sharp edges that poke the ear for me.
You can try using longer nozzle eartips like spinfits that may elevate the shell away from contacting the ear. But do note different eartips may affect the sound signature. YMMV.

its a combo of both but more the little bump by the MMCX connector. Giving the smallest silicon tips a try at the moment instead of the Mercury Foams small.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,282 of 5,890
Seems like this T800 is extremely popular here

Can anyone who owned many iems give me a comparison?
Since nobody has replied to you yet, i'll give my short assessment of what most people would try to compare to.

vs Andromeda: If the Andromeda (not Gold) were the benchmark, then the T800 would be around 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Andromeda's soundstage is a bit wider. I like the sparkly treble on the Andromeda more. But low bass is slightly better on the T800. Vocals I enjoy more on the Andromeda. But overall, the T800 is a great deal at $300. I would keep either one and be happy.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,283 of 5,890
Since nobody has replied to you yet, i'll give my short assessment of what most people would try to compare to.

vs Andromeda: If the Andromeda (not Gold) were the benchmark, then the T800 would be around 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Andromeda's soundstage is a bit wider. I like the sparkly treble on the Andromeda more. But low bass is slightly better on the T800. Vocals I enjoy more on the Andromeda. But overall, the T800 is a great deal at $300. I would keep either one and be happy.
Thanks mate, I'm happy to lose 1/10 and save $700

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,284 of 5,890
Thanks mate, I'm happy to lose 1/10 and save $700
haha exactly

I'd be happy with keeping the T800 if my andromeda sells. Other way around as well.

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,286 of 5,890
I want to ask how goes T800 with Ibasso Dx150?Its a good match?I think it has 0.3 ohm output impedance.
0.3 is perfect

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #2,290 of 5,890
I guess I am ready to post a comparison between Fiio Q5 + AM3D THX AAA module vs E1DA 9038S. Stock module of Fiio Q5 AM3A is not being compared due to the hassles and difficulty (screwing-unscrewing) to switch between modules.
PDV2 is left out from this comparison because IMO the application for PDV2 is different from those of Q5 and 9038S. PDV2 is more suited for stationary desk use while Q5/9038S can be portable with mobile.

IEMs:
Audiosense T800 8BA stock tips, Nicehck 8 core copper cable. TinHiFi P1 planar.
Mostly T800 is used for this comparison. Regardless Q5 or 9038S, P1's bass sound enamic and rolled off. Hence P1 stays with PDV2, where pEQ from HPToy app can bring it up to enjoyable level. T800 has Harman tuning and I find it not needing EQ, for me. Stock tips, stock filters are used, personal preference after trying multiple tips and filters.

Source:
Android Tidal HiFi/Masters & Spotify. Stock app is used. PC/Mac as Hi-res sources are left out due to the portable nature of Q5/9038S.
I also use UAPP bit perfect mode to stream true 24/96 Tidal MQA Masters but due to lack of volume control present on 9038S, full volume output will destroy my ears/T800. Hence I resort to stock app to regain volume control.

Song list, including but not limited to:
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
Sabrina Claudia - Truth Is
Led Zepplin - Stairway To Heaven
Thibaut Garcia - La Catedral III Allergo Solumne
Tsai Ching - The Ferry
Faye Wong - Tian Kong (Sky)

Size: ✔ 9038S
There is no doubt about this. Without battery, the USB thumb drive sized 9038S wins hands down. Current generation of 9038S allows single cable operation without Y splitter hence it is great to be attached to a phone to replace the long gone headphone jack!

Features: ✔ Fiio Q5 THX
Zero doubt. Hands down, Q5 THX wins. By having larger size, Q5 has multiple inputs (USB/Coax/Opt/Line in/BT) and multiple output (3.5mm lineout/3.5mm SE HP out/4.4mm BAL out). Q5 also has hi/low gain and bass boost switch, while 9038S only gives you USB input and 2.5mm BAL output.

One caveat: Q5 tends to rob source device's battery by forcing back charging, unless special DAC USB cable with no power wire is used.
I tested 9038S battery drain from my phone when I was on a 50min flight, it took away around 10% charge from my OnePlus 5. then again please take my words with a grain of salt as my OnePlus 5 is 2 years old and its battery has definitely degraded, IMO.

Sound Quality:

DIsclaimer: These two are so close in SQ comparison it is scary. What I will be stating below are in comparison terms, by no means they represents the true meaning of the words I use. Again, they both are scary close.

Bass: ✔ 9038S
There is more 'boom' and more 'surrounding' feeling from 9038S's bass. While Q5 THX's bass feels 'faster' and more 'analytical', and 'a step backwards' compared to 9038S.

mids/vocals: ✔ Fiio Q5 THX
Both have really nicely presented mids and vocals. I can tell vocals are a small step forward in Q5 THX compared to 9038S. 'Clear' will be the word i use here. In comparison 9038S is a little 'veiled' but really, 'veiled' is NOT a term to describe 9038S.

Highs/treble: ✔ Fiio Q5 THX
I feel there is more 'air' presenting from Q5 THX for female sopranos and hi hats etc.

Others:
Resolution and instruments seperation are slightly better with Q5 THX IMO. Not like 9038S is all muddy, I just feel Q5 THX gets the very slightest edge. Soundstage wise ... it is difficult for me to tell. I think, IEMs don't really give much soundstage in comparison to full sized open headphones, the feeling is still quite 'in your head' regardless which DAC used. Q5 THX gives an 'airy' feeling to the stage while 9038S' stage sounds more 'surrounding' and more 'engaging' with its fuller bass.

Conclusion:

So which one do I choose?
If I know I will move, but will be stationary when I am listening to music, I will be choosing Fiio Q5 THX. Occasionally BT feature is really awesome to have when you want less cables dangling around! I just wish it has LDAC like Q5S.
If I know I will be on the move from places to places (eg trains, buses etc), with music playing from my pocket, I will be choosing 9038S. IMO, both are keeper.

I feel surprised and at the same time i feel scary how a $70+ DAC can be so close to a $500+ portable setup. Do I think I am getting a lot more for paying for the $500+ Fiio Q5 THX? Honestly.... not really....! I am 100% sure if this A/B comparison was done blinded, I would 100% fail to differentiate and identify them. That is how close they both are. Applause to E1DA for managing to produce such high quality device at such reasonable price!

I have spoken to another fellow enthusiast who also owns Q5 THX + 9038S but he pairs them with Fearless Roland. He claims 9038S is superior in driving his Roland (?!?!?!). so... The above impression/comparison you just read is completely subjective as no blinded test was conducted, and I can be totally influenced by prejudicial perceptions, please keep that in mind.

10364838.jpg
10364839.jpg

If you want to know more about 9038S or other E1DA DACs, consider heading to E1DA discussion thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e1d...-pdv2-9038s-9038d-9038x-hifitoy-hptoy.915835/

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #2,291 of 5,890
I'm cable sceptic...if the thing doesn't fall apart I think everything sounds the same.
Mostly with you. But with these IEMs I do hear an audible difference between pure copper vs SPC. SPC is brighter and what may contribute to the argument that the T800 is overly sibilant. Pure copper on the other hand tames the treble, which to some may cause the earphones to lose some of its sparkle. I personally prefer the copper sound signature but it's worth hearing both and deciding for yourself.

Now where I'm totally with you is a $20 copper cable vs a $100+ copper cable. Just give me the $20 cable and call it a day.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,292 of 5,890
I guess I am ready to post a comparison between Fiio Q5 + AM3D THX AAA module vs E1DA 9038S. Stock module of Fiio Q5 AM3A is not being compared due to the hassles and difficulty (screwing-unscrewing) to switch between modules.
PDV2 is left out from this comparison because IMO the application for PDV2 is different from those of Q5 and 9038S. PDV2 is more suited for stationary desk use while Q5/9038S can be portable with mobile.

IEMs:
Audiosense T800 8BA stock tips, Nicehck 8 core copper cable. TinHiFi P1 planar.
Mostly T800 is used for this comparison. Regardless Q5 or 9038S, P1's bass sound enamic and rolled off. Hence P1 stays with PDV2, where pEQ from HPToy app can bring it up to enjoyable level. T800 has Harman tuning and I find it not needing EQ, for me. Stock tips, stock filters are used, personal preference after trying multiple tips and filters.

Source:
Android Tidal HiFi/Masters & Spotify. Stock app is used. PC/Mac as Hi-res sources are left out due to the portable nature of Q5/9038S.
I also use UAPP bit perfect mode to stream true 24/96 Tidal MQA Masters but due to lack of volume control present on 9038S, full volume output will destroy my ears/T800. Hence I resort to stock app to regain volume control.

Song list, including but not limited to:
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
Sabrina Claudia - Truth Is
Led Zepplin - Stairway To Heaven
Thibaut Garcia - La Catedral III Allergo Solumne
Tsai Ching - The Ferry
Faye Wong - Tian Kong (Sky)

Size: ✔ 9038S
There is no doubt about this. Without battery, the USB thumb drive sized 9038S wins hands down. Current generation of 9038S allows single cable operation without Y splitter hence it is great to be attached to a phone to replace the long gone headphone jack!

Features: ✔ Fiio Q5 THX
Zero doubt. Hands down, Q5 THX wins. By having larger size, Q5 has multiple inputs (USB/Coax/Opt/Line in/BT) and multiple output (3.5mm lineout/3.5mm SE HP out/4.4mm BAL out). Q5 also has hi/low gain and bass boost switch, while 9038S only gives you USB input and 2.5mm BAL output.

One caveat: Q5 tends to rob source device's battery by forcing back charging, unless special DAC USB cable with no power wire is used.
I tested 9038S battery drain from my phone when I was on a 50min flight, it took away around 10% charge from my OnePlus 5. then again please take my words with a grain of salt as my OnePlus 5 is 2 years old and its battery has definitely degraded, IMO.

Sound Quality:

DIsclaimer: These two are so close in SQ comparison it is scary. What I will be stating below are in comparison terms, by no means they represents the true meaning of the words I use. Again, they both are scary close.

Bass: ✔ 9038S
There is more 'boom' and more 'surrounding' feeling from 9038S's bass. While Q5 THX's bass feels 'faster' and more 'analytical', and 'a step backwards' compared to 9038S.

mids/vocals: ✔ Fiio Q5 THX
Both have really nicely presented mids and vocals. I can tell vocals are a small step forward in Q5 THX compared to 9038S. 'Clear' will be the word i use here. In comparison 9038S is a little 'veiled' but really, 'veiled' is NOT a term to describe 9038S.

Highs/treble: ✔ Fiio Q5 THX
I feel there is more 'air' presenting from Q5 THX for female sopranos and hi hats etc.

Others:
Resolution and instruments seperation are slightly better with Q5 THX IMO. Not like 9038S is all muddy, I just feel Q5 THX gets the very slightest edge. Soundstage wise ... it is difficult for me to tell. I think, IEMs don't really give much soundstage in comparison to full sized open headphones, the feeling is still quite 'in your head' regardless which DAC used. Q5 THX gives an 'airy' feeling to the stage while 9038S' stage sounds more 'surrounding' and more 'engaging' with its fuller bass.

Conclusion:

So which one do I choose?
If I know I will move, but will be stationary when I am listening to music, I will be choosing Fiio Q5 THX. Occasionally BT feature is really awesome to have when you want less cables dangling around! I just wish it has LDAC like Q5S.
If I know I will be on the move from places to places (eg trains, buses etc), with music playing from my pocket, I will be choosing 9038S. IMO, both are keeper.

I feel surprised and at the same time i feel scary how a $70+ DAC can be so close to a $500+ portable setup. Do I think I am getting a lot more for paying for the $500+ Fiio Q5 THX? Honestly.... not really....! I am 100% sure if this A/B comparison was done blinded, I would 100% fail to differentiate and identify them. That is how close they both are. Applause to E1DA for managing to produce such high quality device at such reasonable price!

I have spoken to another fellow enthusiast who also owns Q5 THX + 9038S but he pairs them with Fearless Roland. He claims 9038S is superior in driving his Roland (?!?!?!). so... The above impression/comparison you just read is completely subjective as no blinded test was conducted, and I can be totally influenced by prejudicial perceptions, please keep that in mind.

10364838.jpg
10364839.jpg
Do you have hiss whit the q5 thx when not playing music whit the t800

And did you compare both whit 3.5 mm ?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,293 of 5,890

This post should be stickied at the first page of this thread! (not sure if this forum can do stickies).
Thanks for putting a TOTL benchmark to compare with the T800 (there's been many similar posts asking for comparisons with the T800).

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #2,294 of 5,890
So going back to T800 and Andromeda. Andromeda does have more treble but I find the T800 to sound slightly more tamed but with great extension. Low end is no comparison, T800 has the tightness, kick, rumble and detail. Mids go to the Andros but just slightly as they are more forward but the T800 I hear a bit more detail... Maybe due to the 4BAs. The Andros do have a wider soundstage but the T800 I feel a sense of more depth. Instrument seperation is suprisingly close while Imaging I feel the T800 might be a lil better. Andros do have slightly better resolution but for some strange reason I hear more detail in the lows and mids on the T800 while the treble on the Andros win a bit. Andros are great for analytical listening but the treble still bothers my ears slightly, but foams help out a lot and I love them with foams, seriously love them. T800 have everything else I want, low end, great mids and great extended treble while not sounding boring. A good quality SPC cable keeps the treble but tames the peaks while tightening the low end.
Andros
Lows : 9.0 / 10
Mids : 9.6 / 10
Highs : 9. 5 / 10
Soundstage Width : 9.5 / 10
Sounstage Depth : 9.3 / 10
Imaging : 9.2 / 10
Clarity/Resolution : 9.5 / 10
Detail : 9.3 / 10
Price to performance 6.2/10
Total : 74.9 / 80 without Price to Performance.

T800
Lows : 9.5 / 10
Mids : 9. 3 / 10
Highs: 9.2 / 10
Soundstage Width : 9.0 / 10
Soundstage Depth : 9.5 / 10
Imaging : 9.3 / 10
Clarity/Resolution : 9.3 / 10
Detail : 9.5 / 10
Price to performance : 10 / 10
Total : 74.6 / 80 Without price to performance

This is from my ears. We all hear differently but I am an extremely picky person when it comes to audio. Yes the Andros are slightly better in the long run but is it by much? To me... Hell no. Is it a bad buy? No, it is worth the price but to see a company pull of a $300 iem performing that well?.... I don't know anymore. For me I personally prefer how the T800 sound, fuller lows, more impact, more rumble and more detail. Mids and highs are still amazing. It amazes me how an iem can have such an amazing low end with still crystal clear resolution and heapssss of detail. While the Andromeda are amazingly clear but that fun that the T800 give is lost a bit to much for me. Both are amazing iems, the Andros do hands down look nicer and feel nicer but the T800 are still gorgeous. But the price to performance is just way to good on the T800. And bringing the lows slightly lower with eq brings the mids a bit more forward too :wink:.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #2,295 of 5,890
Do you have hiss whit the q5 thx when not playing music whit the t800

And did you compare both whit 3.5 mm ?

Using T800,
Zero hiss with Q5 + AM3D THX.
Faint, minimal, easily ignored hiss with 9038S
Output impedance 9038S 0.05Ω ; THX 1.5Ω
What THX wizardry is happening to defy logic?!

Sorry, did not test with 3.5mm, since there is no 3.5mm jack on 9038S for me to compare to, and I didnt want to plug-unplug the tight MMCX of T800, I was worried that I might make something loose/break something if i keep swapping cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back