AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon or NightHawk Carbon?
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #31 of 52
I have the Nighthawk and Nightowl (“closed” but not 100%, there is still a small hole supposedly)
The Nighthawks leak considerably, but less than fully open HPs.
If you play something at high volume people around you will know what you are listening to.

The Nightowls still leak somewhat, definitely much more than the Sennheiser Momentum 2 I had.
Similarly both headphones will let sound in, NH more than NO, and at high volume I can’t hear any outside noise anymore.

But both are kind of outstanding visually with the relatively big ear cups and the wire arch above your head. I want them to be portable, but I have never considered wearing them on the road.
Thanks for the reply. I have B&W P7W for the office, and Beyerdynamic Amiron Home for home use. I am pleased with both. I just ordered the NH for listening while walking outdoors, which the others are not well suited for. At this price point, it is hard to resist.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #32 of 52
Thanks for the reply. I have B&W P7W for the office, and Beyerdynamic Amiron Home for home use. I am pleased with both. I just ordered the NH for listening while walking outdoors, which the others are not well suited for. At this price point, it is hard to resist.

Yes, at the current pricess the NH is a really interesting option.
Just let them break in before making a judgement, they really change a lot.
And your brain also needs to get used to them. Supposedly they also are very revealing of the source.

Tell us what you think when you have them!

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #33 of 52
Yes, at the current pricess the NH is a really interesting option.
Just let them break in before making a judgement, they really change a lot.
And your brain also needs to get used to them. Supposedly they also are very revealing of the source.

Tell us what you think when you have them!
Ok, so you have both NH and NO. I have read some contradictory reviews. Between the two, which has stronger bass? Which has the warmer sound signature? Would you not recommend NO for classical music listening? Are the ear pads identically shaped for both NO and NH?

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #34 of 52
Ok, so you have both NH and NO. I have read some contradictory reviews. Between the two, which has stronger bass? Which has the warmer sound signature? Would you not recommend NO for classical music listening? Are the ear pads identically shaped for both NO and NH?

The NH is very nice for classical, it opens up a bigger stage, feels more like a concert hall, more liquid. The bass is nice and full but a little loose.
It is very „musical“/„emotional“ to me.
The NO is a bit drier, more upfront, closer, punchier, with less mid bass warmth and a little more deep base.
Technically the NO is said to be the „better“ HP, but the NH has something special.

But take my opinion with a pinch of salt, I dont have that much experience with headphones. Check betula‘s review and comparison of NH and NO, that‘s the best I have seen.

Oh, and I forgot to answer that: the pads are identical in size.
I followed betula's conclusions and put the NH hybrid pads on the NO which really tames the treble a bit and put the "boost" protein leather pads on the NHs.

Spoiler: she sold the NO and kept the NH :)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #35 of 52
Did you get your NightHawks yet?
I am at the office, listening to

through Chord Mojo and NightOwls... WOW :L3000:
It feels like a mix between a really good speaker based stereo system and really being there in the room with the musicians.
Especially noises from the audience sound so real I keep checking that there's noone around me. Great soundstage.
My NOs have more than the 150 hours burn in now and sound supremely smooth and real. No harshness.
(with the NightHawk's hybrid pads)

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #36 of 52

It feels like a mix between a really good speaker based stereo system and really being there in the room with the musicians.
Especially noises from the audience sound so real I keep checking that there's noone around me. Great soundstage.
My NOs have more than the 150 hours burn in now and sound supremely smooth and real. No harshness.

I kept the NH carbon and I used them with iFi nano black (great combo) Thanks for the audio tracks referral I will listen to these beauty tonight.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #37 of 52
Just chiming in here. The two headphones are definitely more similar than they are different. I own and am keeping them both if not only because they’re not going to be made going forward.

I slightly prefer the nighthawks because of a bit more midbass emphasis and a slightly smoother overall listen in terms of the treble, which I like.

The comfort Is identical and also the soundstage seems the same to me on each.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #38 of 52
How much more does the nighthawk leak sound compared to the owl?

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 52
how much were these headphones going for before they audioquest said they quit making HP? For some reason i thought they were always $400-$500

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #40 of 52
How much more does the nighthawk leak sound compared to the owl?
I own both NO and NH. I actually use the NO at my office job, and my co-workers can hear my music only when they are about two feet away, and faintly at that. The NH leaks noticeably, but I still use it for taking walks...if I use it on a city bus it goes unnoticed. I also own Amiron Home, and the NH leaks only a small fraction of the BAH. Is short, both NO and NH leak less sound than I was led to believe before purchasing. I should note that I listen almost exclusively to classical music, but near the loudest setting that a Sony Walkman NW-A45 will allow.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #41 of 52
how much were these headphones going for before they audioquest said they quit making HP? For some reason i thought they were always $400-$500
$699

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #42 of 52

I have the Mojo and AudioQuest Dragonfly Red and I vastly prefer the Red with my 2015 Wood Nighthawks. The Mojo *might* resolve a tiny bit more, and I suspect that is the case, BUT... It also has a flatter, less engaging, more 1-dimensional soundstage than the Dragonfly Red. I really dig the Sabre Dac in the Red because of its ability to isolate and kind of make small "rooms" for each instrument in the soundstage. Not only can you hone in on an instruments location and outlines easier but each instrument also seems to have that extra bit of richness in tone that makes it more tangible.

I don't know if it's just the pairing with Nighthawk or whatever, but either the Red is just an insane performer for the money or the Mojo is majorly overhyped. I suspect it's a little of both.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #43 of 52
I have the Mojo and AudioQuest Dragonfly Red and I vastly prefer the Red with my 2015 Wood Nighthawks. The Mojo *might* resolve a tiny bit more, and I suspect that is the case, BUT... It also has a flatter, less engaging, more 1-dimensional soundstage than the Dragonfly Red. I really dig the Sabre Dac in the Red because of its ability to isolate and kind of make small "rooms" for each instrument in the soundstage. Not only can you hone in on an instruments location and outlines easier but each instrument also seems to have that extra bit of richness in tone that makes it more tangible.

I don't know if it's just the pairing with Nighthawk or whatever, but either the Red is just an insane performer for the money or the Mojo is majorly overhyped. I suspect it's a little of both.
Wow, now that is a surprise!
I love the Mojo to a large extent for it’s soundstage and separation, and it is hard to imagine how the DFR can beat it in this aspect. One thing I noted though is that the Mojo sound best with live recordings, since it really reconstructs the venue, with incredible depth.
My interpretation is that Chord DAC technology excels in reconstructing information, while conventional DACs add more of their flavor of interpretation to make music sound good.

What music are you listening to?
And how do you like the NightHawks?

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #44 of 52
Wow, now that is a surprise!
I love the Mojo to a large extent for it’s soundstage and separation, and it is hard to imagine how the DFR can beat it in this aspect. One thing I noted though is that the Mojo sound best with live recordings, since it really reconstructs the venue, with incredible depth.
My interpretation is that Chord DAC technology excels in reconstructing information, while conventional DACs add more of their flavor of interpretation to make music sound good.

What music are you listening to?
And how do you like the NightHawks?

Yes it really is surprising. Now to be clear, they're not worlds apart, but enough for me to tell a difference If I look for it, and I inevitably do. I just enjoy myself more with the Red, in combination with the Nighthawk specifically.
For me personally, presentation is everything!
As you mentioned, I also think it's a flavour/characteristic of the Sabre DACs.
Chord was more occupied with absolute detail in the Mojo. I've heard that upgrading to Hugo 2 yields an immense boost in transparency and soundstage size so I think I would enjoy that one quite a bit.

I have a playlist of well recorded music that I occasionally visit, but for the most part I listen to Electronic music without the dance part!

I've found that the Nighthawk makes virtually any song listenable because it constructs a song in a way that's meant to be taken for what it is and not analyzed, if that makes sense.

I've had mine for over 2 years now and I proclaimed them to be my endgame shortly after I got them, but the novelty has faded a little I must admit.

Spoiler alert, I'm a believer in cables.

I've theorized that it's because the AudioQuest cable that came with broke on me and ever since then I've had a more difficult time picking up on spatial cues.
AudioQuest claims their cables improve timing so it could be that... *Shrugs*

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #45 of 52
Fully agree on the NightHawks, they really let you enjoy the music instead of scrutinizing it! The timbre is also very good IMHO better than the NightOwl. The Hawk just sounds more realistic with especially piano (I used to play the piano, so I think I am more sensitive to how it sounds) The Owl has a better defined bass through, and makes for a great closed HP with a very good soundstage for a closed design.
I also love the depth of the soundstage of the Hawks I get with the Mojo, which can even portray a whole church!
Hard for me to imagine the DFR beating the Mojo in that area.
I also have a 2Qute (Hugo 1 DAC w/o HP amp) in my stereo system and the main difference I hear in comparison to the Mojo is a more neutral and maybe even more detailed presentation.
But I have to say I didn't really compare critically, after I heard how the Mojo destroyed my previous €4000 DAC in the Stereo I got the 2Qute and ever since I am just enjoying the music, no matter on the stereo or with my portable solution.

It would be interesting to hear the DFR, but I am in no hurry, II am too much enoying what I have :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back