AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon or NightHawk Carbon?
Apr 16, 2018 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

superfrognyc

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon or the NightHawk Carbon, at $399 a piece they are a now a bargain but which one should I get? (decisions, decisions!)

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 52
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon or the NightHawk Carbon, at $399 a piece they are a now a bargain but which one should I get? (decisions, decisions!)

FWIW, I tried both on Saturday and didn't like either. Maybe consider the Meze 99 Classics at $300.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 52
I tried the AudioQuest NightOwl I liked the sound signature (exciting sound) this coming from the focal Elear (good sound but so uncomfortable) and the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow open. I found the NightOwl to be more "fun" that these two more expensive headphones. But now I'm wondering if the open AudioQuest might be better than the closed version...

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 52
I tried the AudioQuest NightOwl I liked the sound signature (exacting sound) this coming from the focal Elear (good sound but so uncomfortable) and the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow open. I found the NightOwl to be more "fun" that these two more expensive headphones. But now I'm wondering if the open AudioQuest might be better than the closed version...
Get em' both. Buy the NightOwl and pick up a used Nighthawk.

Bern

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 52
Tempting Bern, but I heard they have a close sound signature so buying both might be overkill :wink:
They do. Nighthawk a bit more... special, but itsi not a complete night and day difference. Nightowl not your typical closed back. Sound still feels it's not just radiating off the back wall, feeling much less enclosed than most closed back headphones.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 52
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 52
Hi Satir, I'm currently using a NightOwl (a loaner)I do like the sound signature, comfort is also excellent and like you I'm middle age guy so I found this model to be sonically comfortable for my "old" ears. Can you recommend a cable to substitute the Audioquest fat cable?

Would this one work?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=29515&seq=1&format=2
I am also interested in this area...was thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD700 OEM cable. Has anyone went this route? I prefer the 1/4 connector without the adapter.

Bern

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 52
@Satir

The beguiling sound is a great way to phrase the Nightowl. It is very different from most headphones at first but the sound is addicting if you like it. I recommend using the hybrid pads (can be bought from audioquest directly.) boost pads have too much treble and suede are so bloomy, the hybrid is a great compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back