AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon or NightHawk Carbon?
Jul 4, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #46 of 52
Hi Satir, I'm currently using a NightOwl (a loaner)I do like the sound signature, comfort is also excellent and like you I'm middle age guy so I found this model to be sonically comfortable for my "old" ears. Can you recommend a cable to substitute the Audioquest fat cable?

Would this one work?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=29515&seq=1&format=2

Any update on this cable working with the NH Carbon? I just ordered. Does it work well?

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #49 of 52
No problem. I'll find out myself in the next couple of days when both the headphones and the aftermarket cable arrives. Thanks for the follow-up.

I own the Nightowl and strongly recommend to upgrade/change the cable. With the original AudiQuest cable the NO sounds okay, but I always had the feeling of some kind of unrealistic “pressure” on my ears. It was not relaxing to enjoy music.
As I m in DIY and have build many cables and components myself, I did a DIY headphone cable myself:

1 pcs. 3,5mm Stereo-plug to connect to Mojo (12€).
6m of 0,2mm/24AWG UPOCC Copper Neotech wire w PTFE insulation, 24€ (makes 1,5m cable).
2 pcs. 2,5mm Mono-plugs, 8€.

Slightly hand twisted and wrapped with PTFE to keep in place.

For less than 50€ the NO now shows its total potential, more dynamic, boomy bass is gone and now full clear defined bass notes, lower mid range cleared up, highs are without silbiance and no more fatigue, soundstage opened up. From time to time I always try the original cable, to make sure I’m not biased since the diy cable is my baby.
But I can not listen for one complete song with the original cable and have to change back.

The Neotech UPOCC wire is one of the best you can get with lowest distortion and information loss.

The Moon Audio cables may come close to this. I do own a Black Dragon USB cable and liked it between my source and Mojo.

However, that had been replaced by a JCAT Signature USB cable which is superior in all aspects.

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #50 of 52
I own the Nightowl and strongly recommend to upgrade/change the cable. With the original AudiQuest cable the NO sounds okay, but I always had the feeling of some kind of unrealistic “pressure” on my ears. It was not relaxing to enjoy music.
As I m in DIY and have build many cables and components myself, I did a DIY headphone cable myself:

1 pcs. 3,5mm Stereo-plug to connect to Mojo (12€).
6m of 0,2mm/24AWG UPOCC Copper Neotech wire w PTFE insulation, 24€ (makes 1,5m cable).
2 pcs. 2,5mm Mono-plugs, 8€.

Slightly hand twisted and wrapped with PTFE to keep in place.

For less than 50€ the NO now shows its total potential, more dynamic, boomy bass is gone and now full clear defined bass notes, lower mid range cleared up, highs are without silbiance and no more fatigue, soundstage opened up. From time to time I always try the original cable, to make sure I’m not biased since the diy cable is my baby.
But I can not listen for one complete song with the original cable and have to change back.

The Neotech UPOCC wire is one of the best you can get with lowest distortion and information loss.

The Moon Audio cables may come close to this. I do own a Black Dragon USB cable and liked it between my source and Mojo.

However, that had been replaced by a JCAT Signature USB cable which is superior in all aspects.

Thanks for the help. I agree the bass is sometimes a bit overwhelming, in a manner I find hard to describe, This is especially true with my desktop system as opposed to my iPad an AQ Dragonfly Red.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #51 of 52
I just bought a pair of NightOwl carbon, I actually ordered the Nighthawks but the shopkeeper sent me the NOs, I kept them for a week but I don't like closed headphones, I'm thinking of sending them back to the shop and having them sent the NHs. .... or is there someone out there who would exchange ...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back