AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,448 of 2,529
I tested my Nighthawk some more.
Main result: I am happy with this, here at my cottage, and with my Nightowl (at home).
Secondly, there is no competition, in my systems, regarding the best sound from both: the Audiotailor Jade OTL headphone amp, with 1 6as7g output and 1 12ax7 tube. Especially with NOS tubes (RCA and Telefunken, in my case). This is way better than anything I hear from various solid state outputs (second best: Teac NT-505, third: Tascam DA-3000). So if you have these phones you should try them with a good tube headphone amp. They deserve it.
Thirdly, testing some s-state outputs here at my cottage, I am thinking: the problems I hear are mainly due to the mediocre amplification (and digital source), not the headphones. I find that they sound marginally better from the headphone output of my Thinkpad T14 than from my Huawei pro30. Some more space, volume. This is listening to Qobuz streaming. But it is peanuts compared to the difference from the Jade (at home). I get irritated by the limits of digital, mainly. Yet I also think: the headphones "mask" the problems quite well. I guess that is part of the reason why they are described as "comfortable".
I notice, after some testing, that the leather-like pads I have gets sweaty and are maybe not the best for the sound. Can someone remind me, what are the best, and how to get them?
I agree with statements above that the Nightowl has a slightly more "modern" or upfront sound. I also know that the cable plays a role (short owl cable is better). But like I said, a main difference is the amplification.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #2,449 of 2,529
@kreggurree get second hand original Chord Mojo just ensure that either battery is ok or you can easly get a replacement. Another option is to buy Mojo 2 but this one is more expensive. Both Mojos have great synergy with AudioQuest cans and Mojo 2 DSP can be worth additional cost if you like to EQ a bit elevating sound SQ another notch or so.
So Mojo's are around £150 second hand. Would you say anything I can get for less would likely be a minimal upgrade compared to my M1 MacBook Pro's internal DAC?

Are there cheaper non portable options? The level of portable I care about most is less in my pocket and more moving around the house.

Any way I have been testing some Sony XM5's (which I know are no contender) but they proved to me that I can clearly hear big difference with the Nightowls. For sound they are only marginally better than my AirPods Pro. So I imagine I will be sending them back and sticking with the pods for ANC and commuting, which might free up the MOJO cash.

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #2,450 of 2,529
So Mojo's are around £150 second hand. Would you say anything I can get for less would likely be a minimal upgrade compared to my M1 MacBook Pro's internal DAC?
I honestly believe that the original Mojo is a steal at that price. It was a steal even at its original retail price as it could beat DACs priced much higher.

The only caution with it is the battery. Just make sure you look into how much a replacement battery might cost you.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #2,451 of 2,529
I honestly believe that the original Mojo is a steal at that price. It was a steal even at its original retail price as it could beat DACs priced much higher.

The only caution with it is the battery. Just make sure you look into how much a replacement battery might cost you.
Well one of the items I was following sent out a £135 offer. Worst case scenario is battery is shot and I have to spend £20 on a replacement. Absolutely a re-sellable price if I think the sound difference is not worth the price.

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2,452 of 2,529
Re-purchased a pair of these (pretty much like-new). Very glad I did. One of the best closed backs ever.

Now to somehow find some of the old hybrid pads...

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #2,453 of 2,529
Follow-up question: I'd asked this once before, but there seems to be conflicting info within this thread on this. Anyone know whether the hybrid pads that came with the OG Nighthawk were the same as those sold separately for the NO? Looks like a few itt have said they're the same, but I seem to recall the hybrid pads I had for my NO (which I bought from AQ direct) might have been shaped differently vs the hybrid pads that came with the original NH, but my memory could well be playing tricks on me...

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,454 of 2,529
Follow-up question: I'd asked this once before, but there seems to be conflicting info within this thread on this. Anyone know whether the hybrid pads that came with the OG Nighthawk were the same as those sold separately for the NO? Looks like a few itt have said they're the same, but I seem to recall the hybrid pads I had for my NO (which I bought from AQ direct) might have been shaped differently vs the hybrid pads that came with the original NH, but my memory could well be playing tricks on me...

The hybrid pads available for sale separately were the same as the OG Nighthawk pads. For reference, confirmation from Audioquest's product page

https://web.archive.org/web/2018021...est.com/earspeaker_accessories/hybrid-earpads

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #2,455 of 2,529
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,456 of 2,529
This makes for an incredible pairing with the Cayin RU7...highly recommended!

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #2,457 of 2,529
I can imagine it sounds good with the Cayin. My Huawei p30 pro phone seems to lack digital out, however. I could use the RU7 with my laptop, maybe,

Aug 30, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #2,459 of 2,529
The Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen sounds the most like the NightOwl out of all the NightOwl alternatives I tried (believe me, I've been trying to find one). I don't know that it would provide better sound leakage though. Nothing has the same combination of comfort and sound as the NightOwl--it's one of a kind. Every alternative has major compromises.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #2,460 of 2,529
The Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen sounds the most like the NightOwl out of all the NightOwl alternatives I tried (believe me, I've been trying to find one). I don't know that it would provide better sound leakage though. Nothing has the same combination of comfort and sound as the NightOwl--it's one of a kind. Every alternative has major compromises.
after some search i find some alternatives

ndh20

ultrasone master

hi-x60

anyone heard those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back