AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2,416 of 2,528
The SW remixes of Yes are controversial in the sense that some like them, others not....but I think most agree that the sound is quite good on the remixes - as is usual, with SW, in my experience. I often like his work, as artist as well as producer, and have no prejudice.

I tested some more. With interesting results.

1 Using the Qobuz 24 - 96 download that I purchased and transferred to my Fiio x3g2 DAP. Comparing the Nighthawk and Nightowl. I found both very good, good enough to get the sense of Wilsons remixes compared to the original Yes albums. But also, quite different.

2 Listening to my recordings of the original Yes vinyl albums, made in DSD format (vinyl rips), made seven years ago. I have not listened much to these, and was impressed that the recordings sound so good, but then again, I used a very good recording chain (Lyra Atlas cart, Io phono preamp), although with a less good recorder (Korg) than the one I use now (Tascam). This is certainly an interesting alternative to the SW remix, although with some shortcomings. These recordings have more atmosphere, while the SW remix in the dowloaded PCM file is more "detailed" and "analytical". It is nice to have both alternatives!

3 I found that both the hawks and the owls benefited by better amplification than what the Fiio x3 can deliver on its own. The Denon DA10 does a nice job, and can be transported easily. However the Audiotailor Jade OTL headphone amp is a clear winner with both headphones.

4 The cable plays a role. My owl came with a short thick cable, the hawk with a ca double length thinner cable. If I plug the short into the hawk it sounds more like an owl. Higher sound level, more detail, more in your face. And vice versa, the long cable makes the owl sound hawkish. My guess is that these two cables were developed specifically for each model.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #2,417 of 2,528
Had regretted selling my Nightowls last year and have managed to track down another pair in good condition 2nd hand.

However, they will just come with the stock pads, and I preferred the NO with the hybrid pads. Am I right in thinking the default Nighthawk pads are the same as the hybrids? All good if so, as I have some Nighthawks (although I could swear its pads are not as deep as the hybrid ones were...).

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #2,418 of 2,528
Had regretted selling my Nightowls last year and have managed to track down another pair in good condition 2nd hand.

However, they will just come with the stock pads, and I preferred the NO with the hybrid pads. Am I right in thinking the default Nighthawk pads are the same as the hybrids? All good if so, as I have some Nighthawks (although I could swear its pads are not as deep as the hybrid ones were...).
The hybrid pads were not the stock ones, you had to source them elsewhere.

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #2,420 of 2,528
What is the verdict now, regarding the Nightowl (and Nighthawk)? Quite nice, but seldom used?

Jun 21, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #2,421 of 2,528
What is the verdict now, regarding the Nightowl (and Nighthawk)? Quite nice, but seldom used?
Very musical. A fun listen.

But many will say that’s wrong.

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #2,422 of 2,528
Very musical. A fun listen.

But many will say that’s wrong.
Lol. Still one of my very FAVORITE headphones. I just wish the bass hit a little bit harder/deeper, and the hawk would be perfect for me. Love my hawks with Sony Wm1z and Still looking to find an upgrade worth me dropping money on. Still using my near shredded hybrid earpads, lol.

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #2,423 of 2,528
The owl and hawk sound good with a variety of sources, but clearly benefit from good amps. They sound amazing from my tube OTL headphone amp, Audiotailor Jade. Quite good also with various solid-state amp outputs including Teac nt-505 and Tascam Da-3000 (but hey, where is the tube magic?). For portable, Denon da-10 beefs up the presentation, when connected between the source (dap or phone) and headphones, although not strictly needed. Throughout, even with low grade amplification, I am able to hear nuances in the best digital formats (DSD native from Fiio x3ii), recordings, etc. with these headphones.
However, for one reason or other, I don't use them much, just now and then. The main reason is that I mostly prefer listening to music through speakers.
As for which is best, hawk/owl, I don't know, I like both, and keep the owl at home and the hawk at our cottage.
Owners of these headphones should try how they sound with a tube headphone stage. You may be surprised.

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #2,424 of 2,528
Just to clarify, I don't believe in any 'tube magic' but it should be mentioned that the Jade sounds excellent with NOS (Telefunken) tubes, although great with stock tubes also. I was surprised at the difference from solid state outputs that should be good, from Teac NT-505, and Tascam DA-3000. I think many tube headphone amps, even with stock tubes, outperform the typical mid-level solid state headphone output today. But I have not seen it tested.
One might think, since the headphones are in the region "comfortable", "lush", "not irritating", rather than "analytical", giving them "soft" tube input should not give a benefit, it could even bring them further into a blurry presentation. However it doesn't work that way.

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,425 of 2,528
Verdict is I still wish I'd never sold my Nightowl and am still on the hunt for one (ideally with hybrid pads).

Very fond of my Nighthawk - wouldn't say I use them often but when you're in the right mood it can be an incredible experience. Such a weighty and rich sound.

Jun 28, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #2,426 of 2,528
I still use my Nightowl Carbon regularly. Usually for casual bedside listening. I wonder whatever happened to the designer Skylar Gray.

Jun 28, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #2,427 of 2,528
I still use my Nightowl Carbon regularly. Usually for casual bedside listening. I wonder whatever happened to the designer Skylar Gray.

Working for a speaker company called Sonance according to LinkedIn

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,428 of 2,528
Has anyone had issues with the elastic band disintegrating or losing elasticity yet? Trying to get my buddy into a pair of these probably Night owls. He just got a Magni Heresey and isn't into headphones but now has the amp sooo...

@oghoter Steven Wilson Yes remixes are not my thing. I really enjoy the Tull remixes (theyre basically my go to versions) but the Yes remixes sound wrong to me, musically.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #2,429 of 2,528
Has anyone had issues with the elastic band disintegrating or losing elasticity yet? Trying to get my buddy into a pair of these probably Night owls. He just got a Magni Heresey and isn't into headphones but now has the amp sooo...

@oghoter Steven Wilson Yes remixes are not my thing. I really enjoy the Tull remixes (theyre basically my go to versions) but the Yes remixes sound wrong to me, musically.

I've seen some of them where the headband did start to disintegrate. They don't last forever and can't get parts for it either unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back