AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Feb 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #346 of 2,528
It's definitely true for me. The day I brought them home, I was sitting in the lounge listening (loud, but only comfortably so) and my wife sitting four feet away started singing along to the music. That was with the pleather. Maybe they don't seal very well to my head.
Honestly, because I don't care that much about isolation and have almost exclusively used open back cans, my expectations may be lower.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #347 of 2,528
Thought you guys might be interested in this post I made in the main Nighthawks thread...

Hi @nmatheis,

1. Could You please tell, what, let's say "configuration", of AudioQuest's headphones and pads sound most warm and bassy?

2. I own original NightHawks, prefer warm sounding to audiophile-analytical, but sometimes I feel lack of mid-bass and punch/kick at rock or electronic music.
Is it worth to consider Carbon/Owl or new pads to reach more bass and punch over original NightHawks? Or new released cans and pads rather are meant to satisfy lack of sibilance/harsh for audiophiles?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #348 of 2,528
I've had my NightOwl from about Sunday afternoon , so I'm guessing I've put maybe 60 hrs on them so far. Their Tonality & Dimensionality are very nice.

I think the title of this thread needs to be revised from the slightly offhanded compliment  of calling them a "closed back" NightHawk.

I won't get into my feelings about the whole Open Backed/Closed Backed capabilities again except to say that the NO breaks that mold !

Depending on what you listen to & how capable the source material & what's being used to listen to it is. This is with the Audeze MIcrosuede pads as the NO 'suede pads are only about 1/2 the thickness & their memory foam won't compress enough for a good head seal.

Yeah, I think the NO is a better headphone than the NH is. ( & this is with only how much break in time that is on them to this point)

(The original NH as I have heard the NH Carbon ; As well as the NO is working with my Music Library & the $10 to $12K of of playback equipment I'm running in front them I would have to really go completely out of my way to nitpick at what about them isn't working for me)

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #349 of 2,528
I hear the NH Carbon as a bit more refine than the NO. Both have a similar tonality and both are borderline bass-head headphones.I think the better air flow of the NHC give them that edge in control. Both good phones!

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #351 of 2,528
For those asking about our Perch headphone stand, it is now available for U.S. residents here:

shop.audioquest.com

If you are outside of the U.S., Perch will start to become available over the next one to two weeks from authorized AudioQuest dealers worldwide.

More info in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/838111/audioquest-perch-headphone-stand-available-now

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #352 of 2,528
Do the Night Owl isolate pretty well for a closed back?  Do they leak sound any?  I am considering the closed EL8 and find their isolation to be pretty good and don't seem to leak sound, but this was from a very brief audition in an Apple store in the middle of San Francisco.  I am just curious if theses would be any similar to the EL8 in those regards when I wanted a different sound.  I do not have the EL8 yet.  Plan on getting them in April.

Thank you

Riley

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #353 of 2,528
Can somebody please recommend me a good replacement cable (and a link) to the no? Couldn't get a link to the original manufacturer cable......Mine came with a balanced cable, and I don't have any equipment with a balanced connection!

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #354 of 2,528
If anybody could give me comparisons in sound between the NO and Mr. Speakers Aeon I would greatly appreciate it.  I have decided against the Audeze EL8 closed due to quality control issues and I can get better sound for roughly the same price according to some.  I loved the sound of the EL8 closed during a brief audition, but that probably was not long enough to get a realistic idea of how well I really enjoyed them.

Thank you

Riley

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #356 of 2,528
It came with it! Just looks like the regular aq cable but with a balanced connection at the end.....Contacted AudioAdvice to see if I can get the normal one but would like alternatives just in case

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #360 of 2,528
Can somebody please recommend me a good replacement cable (and a link) to the no? Couldn't get a link to the original manufacturer cable......Mine came with a balanced cable, and I don't have any equipment with a balanced connection!

Now I am *so* jealous!

Personally I would keep the balanced cable and reterminate it, or make an adapter. Or even buy a balanced amp! I loathe the 'normal' smartphone-enabled cable that AQ supplied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back