AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 6, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #436 of 2,528

Where are you located? IDK if there are any Best Buy near you (You need the one's with Magnolia outlets in them) but they do carry them, if that helps.

Plenty in Arizona - wait...I've never seen one of these at the Magnolia sections...Hmm...I think I know where there might be a demo in this case. Time to take a trip to Scottsdale; plenty of money there and that store seemed to have the largest selection of headphones to demo. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #437 of 2,528

You guys are terrible friends you know that? 
wink.gif

Well, I figured I might as well give it a go and hear them for myself. Kinda funny on the Meze topics those people over there prefer the 99 Classics (which kinda makes sense). Pity I can't find a place that's got a demo unit around here. Let's see what happens. 

Oh and I've been reading about 150 hours of burn time? 

Yeah, you definitely want significant burn in time on the NightOwls. I went for the full 150 myself (just as I did on my NightHawks), and felt it was well worth the wait.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #440 of 2,528
  Plenty in Arizona - wait...I've never seen one of these at the Magnolia sections...Hmm...I think I know where there might be a demo in this case. Time to take a trip to Scottsdale; plenty of money there and that store seemed to have the largest selection of headphones to demo. 

The Magnolia might not have it one display, but they should stock them (and give a demo if you ask). They'd be smart to have them on out for demo, though.

Good luck!!

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #442 of 2,528
First thing you have to consider is *how much* of a change you want from the HD800S. The ebony and NO are both warm, but the NO is further away from the sound of the HD800 than the ebony. Also consider that the ebony is semi-open while the NO is fully closed.

I'm definitely not looking or assuming I will be getting the same as my setup at home.

If anything I'm looking for something less analytical and warmer. That said I really do enjoy space/air and detail.

I've ordered a Bimby and Jot stack to test out at the local store and I'll probably bring my home stack to see how different it all is. A much more closed option from the HD800S is a big plus as they're basically a pair of speakers my girlfriend can hear readily down the hall!

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #445 of 2,528
Just got the owls. Is the 150 hr recommended burn-in a brain burn-in or driver burn-in?

Depends who you ask :D

Audioquest would certainly claim driver

There's definitely some difference at the start though I haven't noticed anything since about 30. They sounded horrific out of the box but that freed up pretty quickly.

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #446 of 2,528
Depends who you ask :D

Audioquest would certainly claim driver

There's definitely some difference at the start though I haven't noticed anything since about 30. They sounded horrific out of the box but that freed up pretty quickly.

k :D
Well, I prefer to ask you guys who actually experienced the burn-in time! In what way was it horrific initially?

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #447 of 2,528
Extremely muddy. First time I've ever thought muffled was a fully apt word for headphone sound. There were a few simple mid/treble focused songs where it didn't show but I really couldn't enjoy much for else for the first hour or so. Maybe it was brain burn in, who knows?

Anyway I did notice the soundstage started to sound a decent amount larger and the music more focused in the first day or two but nothing since. I'm personally not convinced by these but don't have them long enough to have made up my mind completely.

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #448 of 2,528
Could someone explain the sonic difference between the pleather and microsuede pads and which one leaks the most? There seems to be an issue with the official documentation.
Just coming back from Canjam. Splent good amount of time at Audiogram booth swapping pads. The pleather pads create the best deal, give the largest quantity of tight full bass. For music with good bass lines, these are a must. Hip hop, r&b, even country with decent amount of bass. The microsuede pads give an almost muffled/bloated sound to the bass of hard hitting notes. HOWEVER, When listening to music genres where the instruments are the stars, Jazz, blues, classical,etc. The microsuede pads lessened the bass impact to give an overall more neutral sound signature, whereas the pleather pads gave bass that is pleasant but north of neutral. Bass does not bleed into other frequencies, it's just nice and impactful. Microsuede gives a more level neutral sound for non bass heavy music

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #449 of 2,528
Has anyone found a more compact hard-shell carrying case that can fit the NightOwls? I was browsing through eBay, but I have no idea which case will have the best fit.

Thanks for any help.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #450 of 2,528
Listened to the Nightowl at canjam this weekend and loved them. I listened through my DFB, their DFR and jitterbug, and their Violectric amp. Very comfortable all around. Currently using pm-3, but if $700 was in the budget, the nightowl would probably be my next headphone purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back