AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 26, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,741 of 2,529
Well that was painless. The shop I purchased them from had another pair in the back, even though the rep that originally helped me told me the display unit I purchased was the only one they had - whatever.
My custom balanced cable just arrived. I have a question though. It has no left / right indicators, only a red dot on one side. Does the red dot indicate right channel?

Apr 26, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #1,742 of 2,529
Well that was painless. The shop I purchased them from had another pair in the back, even though the rep that originally helped me told me the display unit I purchased was the only one they had - whatever.
My custom balanced cable just arrived. I have a question though. It has no left / right indicators, only a red dot on one side. Does the red dot indicate right channel?

Yes, unless they are sadists, the red should be right. You can also test this in Windows in sound properties.

Good to hear your problem is solved. Did they test to see what was the matter with the old unit?

Apr 26, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,743 of 2,529
Yes, unless they are sadists, the red should be right. You can also test this in Windows in sound properties.

Good to hear your problem is solved. Did they test to see what was the matter with the old unit?
Thank you. No testing, they just exchanged cans for me. I was about half way to full burn in - ouch

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,744 of 2,529

Red for right, for sure.

BTW, I have the original NightHawk and I noticed a significant sonic improvement when I upgraded to a balanced cable. With my HE-400i, I'm not able to tell the difference between between singled-ended and balanced so I think there must be something about the AQ drivers that makes them sing over XLR. Surprising, too, because the 400i requires so much more power.

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #1,745 of 2,529
Red for right, for sure.

BTW, I have the original NightHawk and I noticed a significant sonic improvement when I upgraded to a balanced cable. With my HE-400i, I'm not able to tell the difference between between singled-ended and balanced so I think there must be something about the AQ drivers that makes them sing over XLR. Surprising, too, because the 400i requires so much more power.
Gonna listen tonight. Looking forward to it

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #1,746 of 2,529
@Mhog55
Glad to hear you got a new pair. I am also looking for a balanced cable for mine. Please let us know, once you get some head-time with them, how they sound in balanced vs SE. I agree about the 400i, but push some decent power through and they sure do sound sweet.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,747 of 2,529
@Mhog55
Glad to hear you got a new pair. I am also looking for a balanced cable for mine. Please let us know, once you get some head-time with them, how they sound in balanced vs SE. I agree about the 400i, but push some decent power through and they sure do sound sweet.
Listening to the Owls balanced is similar to what I get balanced with other cans. A little better separation with some greater treble extension. Using the suede pads, I feel these cans are relatively balanced. I didn't pick up much difference from the low end, but I have my sub bass up about 2 dbs. Seems to have a little more breathing room, and brings a bit better sense of realism - not that the Owls sound artificial to begin with. With balanced, I'm hearing a greater sense of depth (nothing crazy), and they seem to be a bit more dynamic. One of the things I like about this headphone, just dynamic enough without bringing to much to the table. Not overly forward or aggressive, but just right. I have my 99 Classics for that. These are just a really nice listen, and balanced kicks it up a notch. They responded quite nicely imo. I did have to drop the 1 and 2 K two dbs from my EQ settings with the 3.5mm in balanced. I'm not sure how much the cable itself is making a difference, but I spent a little more than I normally would. It's a cable from Artic cables.
20190426_161816_HDR.jpg

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #1,750 of 2,529
The ultrasuede pads are much better than the pleather pads. Snare drums just do not sound correct with the pleather pads, even when combined with EQ.
As stated all over this thread, you NEED the hybrid pads. They complete the headphones. I have a pair for both my Hawk and my Owl

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #1,752 of 2,529
Best and easiest place to order?
If in the United Syates, CALL audioquest customer service while they still have them

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,753 of 2,529
I forget if it was the nighthawk or the owl, but it was a closed headphone. It sounded really odd, like tunneling sound through the cups. Mids have this really weird sound and sound-stage is quite small, and I've heard closed-backs with bigger sound-stage. It's generally not a good sounding headphone.

I really don't even understand why even bring it up to an audiophile headphone forum. I wouldn't even consider it a audiophile level headphone performance.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #1,754 of 2,529
I forget if it was the nighthawk or the owl, but it was a closed headphone. It sounded really odd, like tunneling sound through the cups. Mids have this really weird sound and sound-stage is quite small, and I've heard closed-backs with bigger sound-stage. It's generally not a good sounding headphone.

I really don't even understand why even bring it up to an audiophile headphone forum. I wouldn't even consider it a audiophile level headphone performance.
Sounds more like the Hawk from my experience. Not sure what you even mean in that last paragraph, so I'm not going to respond. My Owl sounds absolutely nothing like what you describe.

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #1,755 of 2,529

To each his (or her) own.................we all have opinions and you don't get the NightOwl / Nighthawk. That's one man's opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back