AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 11, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #10,096 of 10,194
Thanks for confirming - thought as much. Got a 2nd hand pair of OG Nighthawks on the way (started regretted selling my Nightowls) which will have the hybrids but ideally I'd have a spare set to hand. Could grab some of the leather pads as those still seem to be available...
I hear ya. Several times I've considered buying another pair of Nighthawks or Nightowls from eBay just to get the pads lol. But at least you can make aftermarket ones work.

Jan 11, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #10,097 of 10,194
The Nighthawks arrived and...I'm impressed. Isn't quite scratching the Nightowl itch - they're doing something different. Way more fun than the NOs. Extremely musical. Some pretty cool imaging and staging going on. Looking forward to sinking tonnes of hours into these. But think I might also grab another pair of NOs at some point - really wish I hadn't sold mine. If anyone has a pair (with hybrid pads) that they're looking to flog, hit me up :smile_phones:

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #10,098 of 10,194
The Nighthawks arrived and...I'm impressed. Isn't quite scratching the Nightowl itch - they're doing something different. Way more fun than the NOs. Extremely musical. Some pretty cool imaging and staging going on. Looking forward to sinking tonnes of hours into these. But think I might also grab another pair of NOs at some point - really wish I hadn't sold mine. If anyone has a pair (with hybrid pads) that they're looking to flog, hit me up :smile_phones:
I own both cans. After originally buying hybrid pads foe the NO after many hours on both, I actually prefer the pleather (boost) pads with the NO and use hybrid pads exclusively on NH. This gives es the greatest difference in overall sound presentation. The NO are always more forward and sound more like your typical headphone, but I love them both, immensely. I keep telling myself I want Z1r, but I juT don't see myself picking up another headphone. I'm iem most of the time, but my nightbirds are the only headphones I listen to.

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #10,099 of 10,194
I own both cans. After originally buying hybrid pads foe the NO after many hours on both, I actually prefer the pleather (boost) pads with the NO and use hybrid pads exclusively on NH. This gives es the greatest difference in overall sound presentation. The NO are always more forward and sound more like your typical headphone, but I love them both, immensely. I keep telling myself I want Z1r, but I juT don't see myself picking up another headphone. I'm iem most of the time, but my nightbirds are the only headphones I listen to.
Honestly the closest thing to the Nighthawk soundwise I heard is probably the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3, it's the reason I let go of my Nighthawk Carbon's as I found it an upgrade. Also no more support in terms of replacement parts with the Nighthawks/Owls. Still sad no new headphones from Audioquest will come out.

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #10,100 of 10,194
Honestly the closest thing to the Nighthawk soundwise I heard is probably the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3, it's the reason I let go of my Nighthawk Carbon's as I found it an upgrade. Also no more support in terms of replacement parts with the Nighthawks/Owls. Still sad no new headphones from Audioquest will come out.
I prefer it that way tbh @kman1211, Skylar made something pretty special, passed AQ the ball and they humbled. I personally don't associate the NH to Audioquest, rather the maker/creator himself.

Still awesome to hear people are still interested in these beautiful birds and giving them a go. Feels like people have mellowed and actually appreciating the unique tuning nowadays.....back in the day, it was a very polarizing headphone, probably still!

Would love to hear the T1 Gen 3 one day, my Amiron's are still going strong though.

nighthawk2.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #10,103 of 10,194
Same question, anyone?

NH is awesome headphones, paper drivers have no alternative for live instruments music and vocal
Go back a few pages....I took mine apart for da team! Had a spare beyerdynamic head pad laying around, works a treat and still does to this day! Others have used different methods. Good luck finding OG parts mate! :slight_smile:

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #10,104 of 10,194
My headband was starting to 'flake away' so I went with the Dekoni 'Choice Suede Replacement Headband for Beyerdynamic Headphones'. It fits nicely over the stock headband and has a plush feel to it.

IMG_0228.JPG

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #10,105 of 10,194
I recently sold my nightowls on eBay. Was never a huge fan. Hope they go to a good home.

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #10,106 of 10,194
I just got a pair of the original non carbons few months back. With velour HM5 pads, they are really good. Stock pads, the bass shelf is too dominant.

I think reviews killed this headphone. Of course it used stock pads for those. I never considered these until I found this thread and how pads really change the sound.

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #10,107 of 10,194
I just got a pair of the original non carbons few months back. With velour HM5 pads, they are really good. Stock pads, the bass shelf is too dominant.

I think reviews killed this headphone. Of course it used stock pads for those. I never considered these until I found this thread and how pads really change the sound.
Welcome to the fold Vormhat! :beerchug:

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #10,108 of 10,194
Welcome to the fold Vormhat! :beerchug:
Thank you! I have a bit of experience with the bio drivers. I recently sold the TH-X00 Ebony, they sounded great but the stock pads suck and larger pads tend to suck out the bass they're known for. Also, I got an offer I couldn't refuse not long after the Nighthawks. They're the lesser known IBasso SR1 which are so far excellent ... these also use a variation of a bio-cellulose driver.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #10,110 of 10,194
Can you buy the original pads for Nighthawks somewhere? Old ones are starting to crumble.
Unfortunately no, you might be able to buy second hand or pads from a place like brainwavz. You can try to remove the plastic piece from your old pads and attach the new pads to it. That’s what I’m planning to do when my pads go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back