AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #9,512 of 10,196
Shure 1540 pads are highly recommended as third party pads for not loosing much of the dark and bassy character of the original nighthawk hybrid pads. I even prefer them over these and even a little bit over the the Barinwavz hm5 hybrids.
Could somebody please link the relevant pads ? Is it these ones ? I'm not sure.
I'm not talking about any noname replacement pad, but about the best replacement pads for a Nighthawk / Nighthawk Carbon, and eventually why we should pick them over the others.
Thanks !

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #9,513 of 10,196
Nov 23, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #9,514 of 10,196
Can anybody compare moon audio blue dragon cable to arctic cables , for example ion series, in terms of sound ? I want to upgrade my cheap cable I purchased immediatelly after receiving my nightowls . Or maybe recommend other brands . My budget is something about 150 euro.
My main goal is to improve sound as I think the build quality will be good on every brands at this price point . I also heard about Ted Allen cables and you can get his silver cable almost in the price of blue dragon , so if anybody can say something about them .

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #9,515 of 10,196
Hi guys, this question is about the Nighthawk Carbon, not the regular Nighthawk :
What is the best PEQ preset you have found for this headphone ?

I've already tried InnerFidelity's preset (which is for the Nighthawk, not the Nighthawk Carbon - I thought it'd be better than nothing)... but I didn't like it AT ALL, to the point where I wonder if there wasn't a problem with the measurements :rolling_eyes: I've read somewhere that InnerFidelity's presets tend to suffer from a systemic measurement issue that was never corrected, so maybe that was my issue here. Unfortunately Oratory hasn't been able to measure a NHC yet, so there are no presets for it.

If anybody has a working PEQ preset for the NHC, please feel free to share. Thanks ! :)

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #9,516 of 10,196
Hi guys, this question is about the Nighthawk Carbon, not the regular Nighthawk :
What is the best PEQ preset you have found for this headphone ?

I've already tried InnerFidelity's preset (which is for the Nighthawk, not the Nighthawk Carbon - I thought it'd be better than nothing)... but I didn't like it AT ALL, to the point where I wonder if there wasn't a problem with the measurements :rolling_eyes: I've read somewhere that InnerFidelity's presets tend to suffer from a systemic measurement issue that was never corrected, so maybe that was my issue here. Unfortunately Oratory hasn't been able to measure a NHC yet, so there are no presets for it.

If anybody has a working PEQ preset for the NHC, please feel free to share. Thanks ! :)

Does he occasionally measure headphones people send him if he hasn't measured that model yet, I wonder?

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #9,517 of 10,196
Does he occasionally measure headphones people send him if he hasn't measured that model yet, I wonder?
Oratory measures everything he can get his hands on, and he gladly accepts people sending him headphones for measurement purposes, as long as they cover shipping costs. This could be interesting for people living nearby (I believe Oratory lives in Austria but I'm not sure).

Now Amir from AudioScienceReview also accepts headphones for measurement purposes. He's in the US (Seattle area).

With that said, I'm surprised that nobody among the "big EQers" (Oratory, Jaako, Crinacle, Headphones.com...) has ever measured a NHC for EQing purposes. Bad luck I guess.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #9,518 of 10,196
Oratory measures everything he can get his hands on, and he gladly accepts people sending him headphones for measurement purposes, as long as they cover shipping costs. This could be interesting for people living nearby (I believe Oratory lives in Austria but I'm not sure).

Now Amir from AudioScienceReview also accepts headphones for measurement purposes. He's in the US (Seattle area).

With that said, I'm surprised that nobody among the "big EQers" (Oratory, Jaako, Crinacle, Headphones.com...) has ever measured a NHC for EQing purposes. Bad luck I guess.
Unfortunately the NightHawk Carbon was discontinued sometime ago. We sold through all of our stock almost a year ago or we would measure it. If AudioQuest has any extra pairs kicking around or someone wants to send one we'd be happy to get it on the rig though for @Resolve to measure and put in the database.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #9,519 of 10,196
Unfortunately the NightHawk Carbon was discontinued sometime ago. We sold through all of our stock almost a year ago or we would measure it. If AudioQuest has any extra pairs kicking around or someone wants to send one we'd be happy to get it on the rig though for @Resolve to measure and put in the database.
The NHC can still be bought here for 249 € incl. shipping, if it interests anyone. That's where I bought mine. At that price it's a steal. :)
Some other pairs are occasionally on sale @ eBay (new or used), although prices aren't necessarily more interesting.
I have the feeling that this headphone may become a collector item, selling as used for a higher price than the current "new" price. So IMHO there's no risk in buying it, it can be sold later for at least the same price.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #9,520 of 10,196
The NHC can still be bought here for 249 € incl. shipping, if it interests anyone. That's where I bought mine. At that price it's a steal. :)
Some other pairs are occasionally on sale @ eBay (new or used), although prices aren't necessarily more interesting.
I have the feeling that this headphone may become a collector item, selling as used for a higher price than the current "new" price. So IMHO there's no risk in buying it, it can be sold later for at least the same price.

Let me know if you know of any place selling the Nightowl brand new. I had an extra pair and foolishly sold it. Now I am down to one and having a backup for a discontinued product that I like so much sounds nice.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #9,522 of 10,196
After listening to the NH, it's harder to enjoy IEMs, even pretty good ones...
Has anyone come across an <300 USD IEM which comes close to the NH? (very low distortion, smooth, speaker-like sound)

Cardas Audio A8. Think they retail for $350 but I've seen them new for less than $300 before

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #9,523 of 10,196
Has anyone come across an <300 USD IEM which comes close to the NH? (very low distortion, smooth, speaker-like sound)

I am really enjoying the Blon BL-03, while it has significantly more bass than the NH, it has that something special timbre. While there is a huge hype-train about these right now, IMHO much of it is deserved because of the low price. They very much remind me of the Monster Turbine Pro Copper which back in the day were like $300.

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #9,524 of 10,196

Nope, since even if in terms of sound signature I would find something similar (ignoring price range for a moment) those IEMs would not provide me with AudioQuest comfort for session longer than 30 minutes.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #9,525 of 10,196
Nope, since even if in terms of sound signature I would find something similar (ignoring price range for a moment) those IEMs would not provide me with AudioQuest comfort for session longer than 30 minutes.

Well, there's something to be said in favour of IEM comfort, especially on a hot humid day....
Will not be able to use the NH for long periods during summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back