AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #9,496 of 10,196
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #9,497 of 10,196
I've got a pair of Brainwavz hybrid oval here with me. Holding them up together they seem to be a good fit. I'm not saying you should use hybrid, that's all I have here with me, but oval seems to be the one to go for size wise.

IMG_20200907_103730.jpg
Thanks for the response HipHipScribe. Do you happen to know which size we'll need to be buying? I'm not too familiar with Brainwavz, however the XL pads m

Thanks for the response HipHipScribe. Do you happen to know which size we'll need to be buying? I'm not too familiar with Brainwavz, however the XL pads might be too big for the nighthawks.

Cheers again.
Here's the Brainwavz oval hybrid pads on the Nighthawk earpad plates. Fit absolutely fine, and the sound is fine. But you lose the special part of the sound signature that makes the Nighthawk individual! So I think pleather would be a better option (or lambskin from someone like Dekoni).
IMG_20200916_130455.jpg
IMG_20200916_130506.jpg

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #9,499 of 10,196
Hi everybody :) Sorry if this has been asked in the 632 previous pages, lol (I've checked the 1st page but I've seen nothing).
I have just acquired a brand new pair of Nighthawk Carbon at a great price. :)
I'll start listening to them as they come, progressively breaking them in, and hopefully everything will be just fine.
However, just in case I wanted to spice things up, I was wondering if there is some kind of "reference" EQ/PEQ preset for this cans.
I have checked the Oratorio website and the NH (classic or carbon) are not on the list. The only preset I've found was at Dale Thorn's website.
Thanks in advance !

I use this simple EQ profile on the RME ADI-2 DAC for the Nighthawk and it makes them really enjoyable.

Band 1 : G -4.0 F 230 Q 0.7
Band 2 : G - 3.0 F 600 Q 0.5
Band 3: G +6.0 F 950 Q 1.0
Band 4: G +2.0 F 3.0k Q 1.0
Band 5: G +2.0 F 5.0k Q 1.0

The great thing with the RME is that with the click of a button on the remote (or dial) you turn parametric EQ off and hear the difference. Without EQ this headphone really is too dark. It's the only headphone I EQ.

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #9,500 of 10,196
Hi, I bought a new NightOwl a year ago. I couldn't get on with him. The highs were too bad and too unclear, the bass was too weak. I was sad and disappointed. I sold him. Two weeks ago I was able to buy a first generation NightHawk for a very affordable price. I am still completely fascinated by him and can hardly believe it. I had read that NightOwl and NightHawk are not that different. For me they are far apart. The NightHawk sounds crisp and clear. Nice bass, not too strong. Exactly how I wanted it to be. Has anyone of you have similar experiences?

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #9,501 of 10,196
Hi, I bought a new NightOwl a year ago. I couldn't get on with him. The highs were too bad and too unclear, the bass was too weak. I was sad and disappointed. I sold him. Two weeks ago I was able to buy a first generation NightHawk for a very affordable price. I am still completely fascinated by him and can hardly believe it. I had read that NightOwl and NightHawk are not that different. For me they are far apart. The NightHawk sounds crisp and clear. Nice bass, not too strong. Exactly how I wanted it to be. Has anyone of you have similar experiences?
Original Nighthawk and nightgown come with different ear pads. This is what makes the biggest difference. I own both. You were listening to the Iwl with the boost pads, which do just that, boost the treble. The original hawk comes with the hybrid pads. I have hybrid pads on my owl too. Still more closed in than the Hawk, and a little more forward, but they the "harsh" highs and allows for louder volume to bring out more of the low end

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #9,503 of 10,196
Hi All,

Apologies in advance, this is me asking a question because I don't have time to find the answer!
My beloved hawks need new pads. I think I am limited to Brainwavz (Dekoni is not available where I live).
Do the standard ovals keep the signature the same? Or should I be looking at velour or....?
Are the angled pads worth considering? Do they make much difference to presentation (and more importantly, do they place too much stress on the suspension?)?

Thanks in advance for all light shone on this! Still using my hawks every day at work and still loving them!!!

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #9,504 of 10,196
Hmm...so I had some Brainwavz leather/vinyl lying around (bought to put on some aging ATH M50s) and so popped them on.
I'm not convinced. I can't really tell you what's changed but I do feel that the reproduction has been affected. It's almost like there's a bit less warmth but then also mids/highs have lost a little clarity. We're talking small amounts, but still.

Any recommendations for third-party earpads that retain the original Nighthawk sound? I liked my cans the way they were...

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #9,505 of 10,196
Hmm...so I had some Brainwavz leather/vinyl lying around (bought to put on some aging ATH M50s) and so popped them on.
I'm not convinced. I can't really tell you what's changed but I do feel that the reproduction has been affected. It's almost like there's a bit less warmth but then also mids/highs have lost a little clarity. We're talking small amounts, but still.

Any recommendations for third-party earpads that retain the original Nighthawk sound? I liked my cans the way they were...

Here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...-leather-pads-new-sealed.944051/post-15904052

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #9,506 of 10,196
Glad I bought an extra pair of the original Hawk pads when I did, still have plenty of life in the ones that came with the headphones, so should be set for a while.
Also, after 4 years of ownership of these wonderful headphones, I can say, they still have that stink, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #9,507 of 10,196
Oct 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #9,508 of 10,196
I use this simple EQ profile on the RME ADI-2 DAC for the Nighthawk and it makes them really enjoyable.

Band 1 : G -4.0 F 230 Q 0.7
Band 2 : G - 3.0 F 600 Q 0.5
Band 3: G +6.0 F 950 Q 1.0
Band 4: G +2.0 F 3.0k Q 1.0
Band 5: G +2.0 F 5.0k Q 1.0

The great thing with the RME is that with the click of a button on the remote (or dial) you turn parametric EQ off and hear the difference. Without EQ this headphone really is too dark. It's the only headphone I EQ.
Used a similar EQ profile when I had mine, it really allowed for a much nicer vocal presentation and lifted some of the veil on the mids.

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #9,509 of 10,196
Shure 1540 pads are highly recommended as third party pads for not loosing much of the dark and bassy character of the original nighthawk hybrid pads. I even prefer them over these and even a little bit over the the Brainwavz hm5 hybrids.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #9,510 of 10,196
Oh man, thanks so much! CONUS only means Canada or North America, right? I'm not eligible :frowning2:
But really appreciate the link CF! Thank you so much!
See if you can't get a NA based member willing to receive them and forward them onto you. You might pay some extra in shipping for the second leg of the journey to you, but at least you would get them. Do you have a good online relationship with any such member here? If so maybe ask if they would be willing. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back