AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 7, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #8,042 of 10,196
I aready miss my NHs after my family gathered for Canadien thanksgiving.
I should hide NHs for potentual abuse.
It's hard to explain why I cared so much for NHs.
Maybe it is so unique, and so revealing.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #8,043 of 10,196
I aready miss my NHs after my family gathered for Canadien thanksgiving.
I should hide NHs for potentual abuse.
It's hard to explain why I cared so much for NHs.
Maybe it is so unique, and so revealing.
Dare I ask, what happened?

Oct 7, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #8,045 of 10,196
tgive.jpg

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #8,046 of 10,196
The Nighthawks sound wonderful out of the Sony NW - WM1A from the balanced output!

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #8,047 of 10,196
Nighthawk flying in the night

it is amazing flight in the dark.
it might have greater freedom in the dark than in the light.
it seems more focused in the sound without disturbing ambient noise of light.
it resolves everything and identifies anything without brightness.
I love the flight.

NH0.jpg

[edit]Sorry for deleting other photos.
I was not sure that they might be copyright infringement possibility.
Photos through googling can be problem for copyright?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #8,049 of 10,196
I'm looking for a Nighthawk Carbon's cable. Let me know if You have a spare one and You're in Europe.
You might have more option when you can find hd-700, he-560 v2, he-400i v2, he-4xx, hex.v1, or he-1000 v1, which are all compatible with NH or NOs.
However in some case the housing of 2.5mm male trs jack to headphone cup can be too large to fit into your Nighthawk or owl.
When you inspect the frame of 2.5mm jact on those photos on store front, you can select smaller size one and will be good.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #8,050 of 10,196
NHs, the most underrated phones.
The most resolving phones in unusual way, so that your brain might be overloaded in many instances.
Usually known-high resolving phones have bright-shifted, whereas NHs dark-shifted high resolution, and this confuses many people.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #8,051 of 10,196
Just got my NH for 3 days. I had to admit for the first couple of songs it sounded really weird, so I put it away and left to do something else. A few hours I came back and put on the headphones, and this time the strange feeling is gone, and from then on it all sounded natural to me. I guess my brain adjusted really fast..

Right now listening to it with Hugo 2, and I really enjoy this pairing. The H2's high-mid and treble is a bit too resolving for me, so I usually couldn't do anything else while listening with my headphones plugged into H2; but last night I listened with NH for 3 hours when playing Nintendo Switch, never felt being distracted, and still felt the music around me. I can't say it sounds like speakers, but to me it definitely FEELS like speakers in a way it lets the music surrounds you instead of pushing the music into your ears, like some "neutral" headphones.

I'm glad that I grabbed the chance to get a NH before it's sold out. I think I've just got the ultimate relaxing headphone (and it's probably the most comfortable headphones I've tried, really like the headband design). The only thing I don't like is the cable. I don't really have any problem with thick cables (once a Grado fanboy), but I don't like the sticky feeling, and it picks up dirt so easily. Anyway it's just a small problem. At $299 this is really the bargain of the year.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #8,052 of 10,196
I should be receiving my NH in the next few days (touch wood!). Really looking forward to hearing this headphone as most feedback I've read, stirs me deeply.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #8,053 of 10,196
I should be receiving my NH in the next few days (touch wood!). Really looking forward to hearing this headphone as most feedback I've read, stirs me deeply.
I too have been stirred by them and when I heeded their stirring I was not disappointed. I have them paired with Burson Play and this pairing is so awesome. I think it has the upgraded dac that is in the dragonfly red which pairs really well with the nighthawk but it is a phenomenal class A amp. Out of the box and even after burn in it is on the bright side which is such a great match for the Hawks.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #8,054 of 10,196
@Fasterball - Nawwww....a match made in heaven right there! This will be my second attempt at attaining the legendary NH's, the first time, the package never arrived, very unfortunate.

Good to hear another Nighthawk lover though, does anyone know where Skylar went to after his stint with AQ?

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #8,055 of 10,196
@Fasterball - Nawwww....a match made in heaven right there! This will be my second attempt at attaining the legendary NH's, the first time, the package never arrived, very unfortunate.

Good to hear another Nighthawk lover though, does anyone know where Skylar went to after his stint with AQ?
Definitive Technology
https://www.linkedin.com/in/skylargray

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back