AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #7,321 of 10,196
Who is rocking these headphones with Lotoo Paw Gold Diana? What are your thoughts?

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #7,322 of 10,196
Oh boy...round 2 with cable issues for me. Had the original, thick cable replaced once last year due to the audio dropouts from the 3.5mm end. Now one of the 2.5mm ends is the source of the same issue. I've been careful too, both times. Gonna try to evoke my warranty again, while I still got it. Might have to also consider buying my own 3rd party cable at this point. Disappointed again :pensive:...

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #7,323 of 10,196
Just got these. I do not understand the inclusion of the "backup" thin cable. It sounds like my kids' volume limited Hello Kitty headphones...seriously it is terrible. (With the regular thick cable they sound great and very unique, that is for another post.)

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #7,324 of 10,196
Just got these. I do not understand the inclusion of the "backup" thin cable. It sounds like my kids' volume limited Hello Kitty headphones...seriously it is terrible. (With the regular thick cable they sound great and very unique, that is for another post.)

Hello Kitty is awesome, don't make fun of that. LOL

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #7,325 of 10,196
Chiming in with new impressions: I started using my Project Polaris to power the NH with the protein leather ("Boost") pads. There's an adjustable switch on the Polaris that rolls off excessive high frequencies, starting at around 9-10kHz. I set mine on medium bandwidth, which is a very slight roll-off (for those familiar with the Polaris: I have a Mellow unit).

This, to my ears, makes the protein leather pads sound much more natural. Months ago, I had reported that these pads sounded closed-in, wonky and fatiguing. I guess the highs were to blame for most of that. With this bandwidth setting, treble extends smoothly, in a more linear fashion, and I do not find them fatiguing at all.

If anyone finds the protein leather pads too fatiguing or unnatural sounding, you might want to give EQ in the highs a try !

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #7,326 of 10,196
Hi,

I own a Mojo and just ordering the NW Carbon to pair with it.

Someone here could confirm that they match?

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #7,327 of 10,196
Hi,

I own a Mojo and just ordering the NW Carbon to pair with it.

Someone here could confirm that they match?

Do you mean NH Carbon? If so, they come pre-installed with the protein leather(boost) earpads which slightly enhance the treble. To obtain, at least to my ears, a balanced sound signature that simulates a pair of speakers in a room, you must separately purchase the hybrid earpads which originally came with the NH woods. FYI, the original NH woods came with a simulated wood grain paint job on the ear cups. As for the NH Carbon's matching with the Mojo, at least to my ears, they do quite nicely.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #7,329 of 10,196
you must separately purchase the hybrid earpads

Do you mean "better" than the two kind of earpads that I will find inside in the stock (could you link me the "hybrid")? I'm a little afraid about the highs, I mean, Mojo has them a little roll off and for what I read the NH has a warm signature.

Perfect match

I'm in the willing to replace totally "Asus E1 > HD650" with "Mojo > NH" so I really hope so :)

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #7,330 of 10,196
Do you mean "better" than the two kind of earpads that I will find inside in the stock (could you link me the "hybrid")? I'm a little afraid about the highs, I mean, Mojo has them a little roll off and for what I read the NH has a warm signature.

FYI, the original NH woods which have a simulated wood grain paint job on it's ear cups "only" come with the hybrid earpads while the NH Carbon's which have a dark charcoal grey semi-metallic paint job on it's ear cups come with two sets of earpads, the protein leather and the microsuede. Like I have already said before, I prefer the hybrid earpads because they provide the most balanced sound signature of the three and give me the impression that I am listening to a pair of speakers in a room. FYI, replacement earpads typically cost $50 usd.

Please see the links that I have posted below as they will describe the three different earpads. On the other hand, you may like the protein leather earpads that come pre-installed with the NH Carbon's because they slightly enhance the treble. Hope this helps.

http://www.audioquest.com/earspeaker_accessories/hybrid-earpads
http://www.audioquest.com/earspeaker_accessories/protein-leather-earpads
http://www.audioquest.com/earspeaker_accessories/microsuede-earpads

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #7,332 of 10,196
Does anyone have impressions on the Nighthawks with ifi Micro idsd black label?

I have listened to them through my ICAN SE which is supposed to be pretty similar to the BL. The 3D settings don't do a whole lot for the headphone which already has a nice 3D presence on your head, but the Xbass can really turn them into bass thumpers (beyond already being good in the low end.) I have only done about 2 hours or so of listening and that was last week so don't want to give any false impressions beyond that based on memory, I do remember thinking they sounded great though for what that is worth. :)

I have a BL I just have not tried them on it yet....may give that a go next week when I am off work.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #7,333 of 10,196
Ifi Audio Ican micro works great..even non se version... so BL is definately pairing very well

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #7,334 of 10,196
It sounds good but the iDSD black is not the best match IMHO. Sound is a little dense and narrow (soundstage). After I heard what I was missing I couldn’t go back to that combo. Still regret selling it tho :.b

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #7,335 of 10,196
FYI, the original NH woods which have a simulated wood grain paint job on it's ear cups "only" come with the hybrid earpads while the NH Carbon's which have a dark charcoal grey semi-metallic paint job on it's ear cups come with two sets of earpads, the protein leather and the microsuede. Like I have already said before, I prefer the hybrid earpads because they provide the most balanced sound signature of the three and give me the impression that I am listening to a pair of speakers in a room. FYI, replacement earpads typically cost $50 usd.

Please see the links that I have posted below as they will describe the three different earpads. On the other hand, you may like the protein leather earpads that come pre-installed with the NH Carbon's because they slightly enhance the treble. Hope this helps.

http://www.audioquest.com/earspeaker_accessories/hybrid-earpads
http://www.audioquest.com/earspeaker_accessories/protein-leather-earpads
http://www.audioquest.com/earspeaker_accessories/microsuede-earpads

VERY thank you, I will read accurately. Now I am using the “treble” boost leather one in stock just to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back