AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #6,196 of 10,196
Just wanna post my EQ settings. Its a mix of the most up to date settings of Dale and Fanny's settings which he posted earlier, IMO combining the best of two worlds without destroying the NH signature.

Give it a try (software is Equalizer APO with Peace). Be sure to set pre amplifying to -3.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #6,197 of 10,196
  Great review! Since it came out i pulled the trigger on a pair and i love them.

Are you going to keep both or do you feel the Z1R and NH fills a too simular role?

Thanks. I'll be keeping both. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #6,198 of 10,196
I can whole heartedly recommend the ifi-audio iDSD Micro Black Label, it is great, I run it with the iPurifier 2 and an AQ Pearl cable.  It works well with my NH and my EL8s as well as the Beyer DT1990, good sounding solid DAC clean and low noise.

Hi, yes, that one is definately in scope. In the end there are 4 devices which seem to be more or less in the same ball park: Chord Mojo, Oppo HA-2SE, RHA Dacamp and the iFi iDSD Micro. And I think I wouldn't be dissapointed with any of them. The RHA however got also a very positive review of a Dutch site from someone who's serious about this stuff. And it has a balanced plugin which seems fun to experiment with.

But, I had some conversation with Venture Guy. What if you're not the type to sit still, but you'd rather move around while listening to music....?

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6,199 of 10,196
That's a good point.  MIght need some battery power to do so. :)
That was why I went with the ifi iDSD.  I almost went to the iDAC2 and iCAN SE, but can't move around with that.  Tied to the mains.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #6,201 of 10,196
Hi, yes, that one is definately in scope. In the end there are 4 devices which seem to be more or less in the same ball park: Chord Mojo, Oppo HA-2SE, RHA Dacamp and the iFi iDSD Micro. And I think I wouldn't be dissapointed with any of them. The RHA however got also a very positive review of a Dutch site from someone who's serious about this stuff. And it has a balanced plugin which seems fun to experiment with.

But, I had some conversation with Venture Guy. What if you're not the type to sit still, but you'd rather move around while listening to music....?

3 of the 4 contenders are in the $550-$600 range with the Oppo HA-2SE coming in at $300. if cost is a factor, go with the Oppo. I chose the Oppo as that is what I was willing to spend on a headphone DAC / amp and I truly enjoy the sound I hear with the NH as well as the shape and form of the chassis.

If the 'best' $500-$600 DAC / hp amp is the most important factor, then it may well be one of the other 3 albeit at about 2X the cost. 

While I enjoy listening to the NH headphones, I don't find the need to spend a lot of $$$ on this part of my audio experience..........at least not at this point being only a short distance down the headphone rabbit hole!!!!!

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6,202 of 10,196
3 of the 4 contenders are in the $550-$600 range with the Oppo HA-2SE coming in at $300. if cost is a factor, go with the Oppo. I chose the Oppo as that is what I was willing to spend on a headphone DAC / amp and I truly enjoy the sound I hear with the NH as well as the shape and form of the chassis.

If the 'best' $500-$600 DAC / hp amp is the most important factor, then it may well be one of the other 3 albeit at about 2X the cost. 

While I enjoy listening to the NH headphones, I don't find the need to spend a lot of $$$ on this part of my audio experience..........at least not at this point being only a short distance down the headphone rabbit hole!!!!!

If I may ask, how do you use it? Do you tie it to a smartphone ore something like that? (When I'm going to walk around with two separate devices I'm certain I'm going to drop one at some point)

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #6,203 of 10,196
Judging by how well the E11k drives it, I wont be surprised that the E17k will drive it well also. I havent heard the mojo or others, in the upper tier of portable dac/amps, but the little fiio does pretty good with the Nighthawk. i use it with a LOD on my ancient Ipod Touch, and it is a definite improvement over the Ipod by itself.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #6,204 of 10,196
If I may ask, how do you use it? Do you tie it to a smartphone ore something like that? (When I'm going to walk around with two separate devices I'm certain I'm going to drop one at some point)

I use the HA-2SE with an iPod.
The Oppo is about the size of an Android or iPhone and comes with 2 silicone bands to strap the 2 devices together. I sometimes use it with just the iPod and others times with line out from the Oppo (using the Oppo DAC) into a Garage 1217 tube amp.
The HA-2SE has been one of my best 'bang for the $$$' audio purchases in some time..............as well as the NH's!

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #6,205 of 10,196
I am now a Nighthawk owner.  My amp/dac combo is out for repairs, so just listening through my PC...  I have owned a few headphones, but I have to say that these render music in a way that has me not missing my speakers so much.  That is a huge compliment.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #6,206 of 10,196
I am now a Nighthawk owner.  My amp/dac combo is out for repairs, so just listening through my PC...  I have owned a few headphones, but I have to say that these render music in a way that has me not missing my speakers so much.  That is a huge compliment.

Welcome! It's only going to get better for you :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #6,209 of 10,196
  NH owners, what is your next upgrade? Are you going after Fostex Th900 / Z1R or possible some Audeze?

Hmmm, I bought the AKG 872, that wasn't an upgrade, even at double the price, great soundstage but a bit thin and bass light with boosted slightly strident mid treble. Bought the Focal Utopia, nice bass, awesome clarity and imagery, at the end of the day it sounded better out of my tube amps than my GS-X mk II because things sounded a bit aggressive going solid state, this is being discussed on the Utopia thread now. Problem is though while you gain treble smoothness and warmth going with tubes you lose SS clarity-wise with the trade-off. 

I let 18 people (mostly music industry) compare the NH with the Utopia and every single one preferred the NH.

I pre-ordered Mr. Speakers Aeon but i won't see it before May. 

LCD-4 is coming hard even though it's very heavy so I can't listen to it for long periods. Beautiful sound though. 

I'll give the Z1R some time at Can Jam NY tomorrow and if it's sweet I'll buy it.

But right now I don't know anything that an upgrade for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back