AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #5,491 of 10,196
  Makes sense, for me I noticed the Nighthawk fatigued me more and sounded harsher with long term listening than the headphones mentioned, and didn't sound quite as good tonality and timbre wise to me. I actually like the darker and smoother NH sound and it isn't why I grew to lose my love of the Nighthawk, it's more tonality and fatigue reasons. 

To me the NH is basically the only headphone I tried so far, that does not fatigue me even after many hours of listening (4-5hrs+). I can't even imagine, how someone can call the NH harsh. Interesting.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #5,493 of 10,196

Well, I finished giving the NightHawk a final chance. (This time with the Mojo.)

It basically sounds like the mutant offspring of the HD 800 and V-MODA Crossfade LP. Quite good technical performance, but the frequency response is unbelievably bad...one of the worst I've ever heard.

I know exactly what instruments and voices sound like, and this is so far away from accurate sound I can't stand it. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could possibly perceive this as anything remotely resembling neutral.

I actually bought the NightHawk because I was hoping it would be something I could comfortably listen to with everything, including bad recordings...but it's not even that.

I enjoy it with some songs, and on occasion it sounds fine by pure luck...but it sounds totally lo-fi far too much of the time.

EQ didn't fix it. (I tracked down settings others used, and spent hours doing it myself.)

The Mojo didn't fix it. (Though I must say, it's an amazing DAC.)

The nasty reflections/resonances are worse than most fully closed-back headphones.

And the softness of certain aspects has become annoying to me.

I was going to write up an in-depth post with all of my impressions, and spent hours taking notes...but it's not even worth bothering with.

About the comparison to the STAX SR-207...there is no comparison. STAX simply sounds like real instruments. (Relatively, not literally.)

And the HD 800 annihilates the NightHawk in every way I can think of. (It has issues too, but not nearly as many. With EQ I wouldn't be too surprised if it became my favorite headphone.)

By the way...the Koss KTXPRO1 is technically inferior to the NightHawk and HD 800, and considerably so...but tonally (without EQ) it's much more balanced and true to life than either of them (though not nearly as balanced as the STAX)...and it only costs $10! I noticed far more of the improvements of the Mojo with the KTXPRO1 than with the NightHawk.

Bye bye, NightHawk. I hope I never have to listen to you again! </3

Well, each to their own, I guess. NH is not for everyone. I would like to mention two things though.
As I am sure you know, our ears need time to adapt to new headphones, new sound signatures. Adapting to NH takes significantly longer, than adapting to any other headphone I tried. It is a common recommendation to give NH 4-5 days without listening to anything else. (I also made a superficial verdict when I first met NH.)
Second thing that I find a bit weird, is that you prefer a cheap headphone to many of the great ones. Is it not, that you are just used to that sound signature?
Anyway, we hear things differently, and there is nothing wrong with that. But we do need to be careful, how we express a negative opinion.
Enjoy your Koss KTXPRO1!

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #5,495 of 10,196
Well, I finished giving the NightHawk a final chance. (This time with the Mojo.)

It basically sounds like the mutant offspring of the HD 800 and V-MODA Crossfade LP. Quite good technical performance, but the frequency response is unbelievably bad...one of the worst I've ever heard.

I know exactly what instruments and voices sound like, and this is so far away from accurate sound I can't stand it. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could possibly perceive this as anything remotely resembling neutral.

I actually bought the NightHawk because I was hoping it would be something I could comfortably listen to with everything, including bad recordings...but it's not even that.

I enjoy it with some songs, and on occasion it sounds fine by pure luck...but it sounds totally lo-fi far too much of the time.

EQ didn't fix it. (I tracked down settings others used, and spent hours doing it myself.)

The Mojo didn't fix it. (Though I must say, it's an amazing DAC.)

The nasty reflections/resonances are worse than most fully closed-back headphones.

And the softness of certain aspects has become annoying to me.

I was going to write up an in-depth post with all of my impressions, and spent hours taking notes...but it's not even worth bothering with.

About the comparison to the STAX SR-207...there is no comparison. STAX simply sounds like real instruments. (Relatively, not literally.)

And the HD 800 annihilates the NightHawk in every way I can think of. (It has issues too, but not nearly as many. With EQ I wouldn't be too surprised if it became my favorite headphone.)

By the way...the Koss KTXPRO1 is technically inferior to the NightHawk and HD 800, and considerably so...but tonally (without EQ) it's much more balanced and true to life than either of them (though not nearly as balanced as the STAX)...and it only costs $10! I noticed far more of the improvements of the Mojo with the KTXPRO1 than with the NightHawk.

Bye bye, NightHawk. I hope I never have to listen to you again!

I also own the HD800 and other headphones of a similar level and I personally think the NH sounds more natural than the HD800. The HD800 is good headphone technically but it has a massive 6K peak that just ruins everything. The NH has a 9K peak but it's not that big and the bass does balance it out nicely. It sounds like you prefer bright headphone with that overwhelming sense of clarity. Personally my HD800 are my gaming headphones as I prefer the more lush, warm bassy NH. The NH isn't perfect and the treble could be a bit smoother but I rarely hear a smooth treble on anything that isn't a well driven HD650.

The timbre of the NH is typical Biocellulose sound to my ears .

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #5,496 of 10,196
To me the NH is basically the only headphone I tried so far, that does not fatigue me even after many hours of listening (4-5hrs+). I can't even imagine, how someone can call the NH harsh. Interesting.
There's a few peaks mainly a 9K peak that can be botherson to some. The more someone listens to a headphone the more the person will start to filter out things like boosted bass so any peaks and roughness will be easier to hear. I get what Kman meant. He does seem to like Beyers though which are the definition of rough! Different peaks affect different people.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #5,497 of 10,196
[COLOR=000000]Wow.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]This[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]post[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]was penned from an inkwell of the blackest negativity. If you had[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]couched[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]your[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]criticisms[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]with[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]a few thoughtful[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]qualifiers and caveats, I might[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]have shrugged and[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]conjured[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]forth[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]that[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]p[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]opular[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]platitude here on Head-Fi.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000](Yo[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]u know:[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]“We all hear things differently.”[/COLOR][COLOR=000000])[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]But, boy-oh-boy, you loaded your post with[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]the most[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]dyspeptic language[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]. Did the Nighthawk[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]swoop-up[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]your cat[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]or something[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]? Or do you simply despise all nocturnal birds?[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]I too “know what instruments and voices sound like” and[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]to my ears,[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]the Nighthawk[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]sounds[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]more “life-like” than many headphones I've owned, including the HD800,[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]which, btw, I still admire despite its overly analytical character. To each his own, I suppose.  [/COLOR]
All comments are welcome. It seems you are the negative one. I personally appreciate all comments and criticisms are always the best because it helps designers improve their products. The NH isn't perfect and I personally would love to see the NH return with a smoother treble and slightly less mid bass to show off that impressive speed for those who can't hear past the NH's mid bass.

I do think the NH Carbon fixed some issues. The Carbons do bring vocals a bit more forward and tame the bass slightly(Boost pads) but it also shows off the treble roughness a bit more. I'd characterise it has mostly a smooth listen as the treble isn't some dry peaky mess, more tizzy than harsh.

Oh yeah for those interested in Nightowl impressions I got to hear a friends NO for a week. It has a more classic Biocellulose sound to it, some upper end aggression,bit more immediate and quick.

Compared to NH Classic I would say if you put Boost pads on your NH and dial the mid bass down a bit you are close to NO. It's more closed in(obviously) but does image accurately, better than NH classic due to the less mid bass masking the treble.

Micro detail is good quality is par with the Fostex THX00 with similar dynamics(NO is a slightly more refined driver)Treble roughness is similar to THX00 and timbre is similar. I'd say if you own a Fostex variant and like the comfort I'd personally save your money but if you are in the market for a closed/semi closed phone the NO with its better comfort, accessories would be a better choice.

Compared to NH Carbon the NO isn't as spacious, doesn't image as well. Micro detail and dynamics are similar I'd give the NO the edge in physical impact, less soft more immediacy. The NH has always had some aggression in the treble that was hidden behind its bass giving it a more relaxing character but with both NH-Carbon and NO you get to hear it more. Again neither are TH900 metallic aggressive but images a headphone that can play gentle but get aggressive with the right track.

NO is for those who want a NH Carbon without the leakage(at least not as much) NH Carbon is IMO for those that want the most up-to-date version of the original NH and don't mind trading a bit of bass presence for a slight boost in vocal presence and some of that aggression let loose.

I think in time Skylar could easily come out with a 1K plus product that would be a contender in the higher price point. I think the Nighthawk and Nighthowl successor will always go against the grain of what's considered the norm for sound. I personally love it but many will always be critical. I think we are too far gone in that we have all become wimps to bass. Everyone wants linear planar bass that has no impact or rolled off to S*** bass like the Grado line. I'm glad Skylar has tuned his headphones to have bass it brings back the fun. Accurate headphones won't exist(not for a while anyway) because there's always trade off's.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #5,498 of 10,196
i somehow corrected the rough treble by doing some modification.Removed the diffusing white paper of back of the driver and also the circular felt material.After that i pasted Aluminium sound deadner which control the huge bass and taming the treble.Now my nighthawk sounds damn natural with balanced tuning.Soundstage now feel real earlier its bit narrow to me with mojo.

The thicker cable is copper one;even if we buy another copper cable it will not tame the treble drastically.Thats my point.Resolution wise nighthawk is a very capable headphone;now i am enjoying its true potential.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #5,500 of 10,196
  i somehow corrected the rough treble by doing some modification.Removed the diffusing white paper of back of the driver and also the circular felt material.After that i pasted Aluminium sound deadner which control the huge bass and taming the treble.Now my nighthawk sounds damn natural with balanced tuning.Soundstage now feel real earlier its bit narrow to me with mojo.

The thicker cable is copper one;even if we buy another copper cable it will not tame the treble drastically.Thats my point.Resolution wise nighthawk is a very capable headphone;now i am enjoying its true potential.

Interesting. Don't suppose you have any measurements? would love to see what areas it tames. Your mods sound like my dream headphone. The NH driver has always been extremely capable. If I grow the balls I might attempt to mod my NH Carbon.

I've always sued the HD650 has my standard for lower mids all the way through to the treble just cohesive, no dips, peaks or tizzy-ness. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #5,501 of 10,196
rough treble on the NH? Smooth as silk to me, but just goes to show everyone hears differently. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #5,502 of 10,196
  I am enjoying mine from Impact. Wait was around 4 weeks, nice quality. I bought the Type 6 copper litz, 6 foot,Balanced, what did you order ?
Mine looks just like this one except it has 2.5 mm plugs for NightHawk. http://www.imgrum.net/media/1336004711815361689_1973140804

It's called Type 6s and looks like this: https://img0.etsystatic.com/137/0/11020447/il_570xN.973487912_hb0u.jpg
I ordered in black color and a length of 9ft.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #5,503 of 10,196
There's a 9K peak then it goes up and down before and after that gives then a rough tizzy timbre. The Mid bass does mask this to a degree so it's understandable that many won't pick it out.

It does show up in measurements as well

It's by no peaks horrible Beyerdynamic or Grado like peaks just a bit tizzy and rough, lacking smoothness and coherency.  It's not as bad as it certainly can be. NH distortion is legit!

HD800 for comparison

Large 6k peak, upper mids a little dip, adds to the spaciousness but overall a bright headphone although very balanced minus the massive peak for a fully open dynamic headphone. I have done some tone sweeps and and they pretty much match the 800 and NH to a tee.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #5,504 of 10,196
To me the headphone with non fatigue treble is Hd 650. @EdwardPL Now my nighthawk similar level of treble smooth like hd 650.
To me nighthawk is tizzy.

The mod is reversible if you do not like it.

If you feel mid is less prominent then remove the black circular felt around the driver.
i feel there is too much midbass compared to subbass;so i removed the diffusing white paper.Now subbass has excellent punch.
Now my headphone back driver looks like fig-2.
Now the most important part ;paste surgical tape on the wooden cup;it is excellent for taming any treble issue and midbass bump reduction.
Earlier instrument slightly forward to me and now its more relaxed.

Thats all done. @EdwardPL i do not have measurement device;so i cannt do that.if you done a measurement after this mod;then will be great.so that we do not have to live with nighthawk unsatisfied.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #5,505 of 10,196
Not only do different people hear differently, but most hear what they want to hear. We can't help but interpret what our "sensors" are telling our brain. Everything we perceive is our interpretation of the input put through our physical and mental filters. It's very difficult for humans to be totally objective and the reason that freq response graphs don't always represent what we hear in a product. It's likely that many of us could choose a headphone that has promise, read a few glowing reviews, decide that we like it & live happily ever after with them. Would save a lot of money too. Not what the industry wants either. I've decided to like the NHs & hopefully they will sound better & better as I convince my brain that they are perfect. 
It's not easy living with my brain. :wink:

kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Back