AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 6, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2,912 of 10,196
Thanks to all of you guys and gals I got the Silver Dragon one week ago. I have both the NH and the PM2. I found my PM2 sounds just too sweet with the SD cable so I am about to take delivery of Effect Audio cable that cost almost $1K. DHL might get it to me by tomorrow morning. I can't wait. I can't believe I bought a cable that's more expensive then the actual headphone that will be attached to it. All because of reading these threads. I also bought Labkable of HK and that should get to me maybe Friday. Then I will have 3 cables with two cans to go with them. I might just get the Edition X next month from HK since the X uses the same cables. Crazy??? Thanks a lot guys. I will burn in then post impressions after 4 days with the new Effect Audio cable and the Nighthawk.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,913 of 10,196
Thanks to all of you guys and gals I got the Silver Dragon one week ago. I have both the NH and the PM2. I found my PM2 sounds just too sweet with the SD cable so I am about to take delivery of Effect Audio cable that cost almost $1K. DHL might get it to me by tomorrow morning. I can't wait. I can't believe I bought a cable that's more expensive then the actual headphone that will be attached to it. All because of reading these threads. I also bought Labkable of HK and that should get to me maybe Friday. Then I will have 3 cables with two cans to go with them. I might just get the Edition X next month from HK since the X uses the same cables. Crazy??? Thanks a lot guys. I will burn in then post impressions after 4 days with the new Effect Audio cable and the Nighthawk.

How did the silver dragon V3 sound with the NH? I'm getting mine in Thursday.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #2,914 of 10,196
1k on a cable? Why? I can understand headphones but paying 1k for no sonic improvement is madness. I've heard many cables over the years and there's only good cables and bad cables. You might aswell spens the money on better headphones like the LCD-2.

Also burning in a cable is pointless you wonr hear a difference. I feel you've been influenced by some serious hyperbole you poor sole.

I believe he heard a good enough difference with the silver dragons so decided to get the 1k cable. I've always been a believer in cables ever since my speaker days...

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #2,915 of 10,196
My NH was brand new. The SD cable was mostly playing with the PM2 which is 2 weeks older. Now the NH is just now starting to fire on all kinds of music and this really took some burn in. Now the sound on the PM2 improved so much even between the 2 stock cables they came with. Same to be said with the NH. This makes me pull the trigger on 2 more cables from two different companies. This is why it's fun with all this. I read, I get moved by what I read, I buy, I listen, I buy some more. Might not be all good. But it sure is good clean fun. When DHL gets here I will be using the new stuff with the PM2 and Silver Dragon will park next to the Hawk. I will post in 2 days to see what really sounds great and what maybe not really so. Thanks.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,917 of 10,196
can anyone tell me how the nighthawks would compare to the audeze LCD2? i feel there's a lot of conflicting info - like lot of people on reddit saying the nighthawks sound just muddy and terrible, but lot of people here on headfi seem to love it - basically i am treble sensitive and i prefer a warmer sound -  my headphone of choice is the sennheiser hd650 but they are very uncomfortable for me.\would the nighthawks be a good comfortable replacement for my hd650? (planning to use with o2odac) 

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,919 of 10,196
I've had the Nighthawks for almost a year now and the more I listen to it, the more I have come to dislike it. The source of the problems with the NH are the pads. I switched out the stock pads many months ago for HM5 hybrids to open the sound, let the NHs breathe. The bass bloom is gone and along with it, most of the muddiness, creating a more balanced signature (relative to stock). The sound stage is still very narrow like a closed can though but it still sounds Nighthawkish with NH tones. I've tried to switch back to the stock pads many times and every time, it's a disaster. Like another person said, you can get used to the signature but if you plan on listening to other headphones as well, you'll want to swap out the pads. I don't care what any of the fanboys say, I think the NHs are bad with the pads. Big upgrade from HD650s in terms of comfort but also a sidegrade or downgrade in terms of everything else.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,920 of 10,196
  Like another person said, you can get used to the signature but if you plan on listening to other headphones as well, you'll want to swap out the pads.

Some of us might say this is because the other headphones are the ones that need the new pads. :wink:

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,921 of 10,196
I've had the Nighthawks for almost a year now and the more I listen to it, the more I have come to dislike it. The source of the problems with the NH are the pads. I switched out the stock pads many months ago for HM5 hybrids to open the sound, let the NHs breathe. The bass bloom is gone and along with it, most of the muddiness, creating a more balanced signature (relative to stock). The sound stage is still very narrow like a closed can though but it still sounds Nighthawkish with NH tones. I've tried to switch back to the stock pads many times and every time, it's a disaster. Like another person said, you can get used to the signature but if you plan on listening to other headphones as well, you'll want to swap out the pads. I don't care what any of the fanboys say, I think the NHs are bad with the pads. Big upgrade from HD650s in terms of comfort but also a sidegrade or downgrade in terms of everything else.

Sigh. I quite like (aka love) the NH sound with the stock pads. But I have those damned hm5 hybrid pads on my mt220's staring me in the face. Are you gonna force me to do some pad swapping? Keep in mind I am very lazy lol.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #2,922 of 10,196
Sigh. I quite like (aka love) the NH sound with the stock pads. But I have those damned hm5 hybrid pads on my mt220's staring me in the face. Are you gonna force me to do some pad swapping? Keep in mind I am very lazy lol.

It's not quite so simple to swap pads on the NH due to the insert with tabs (means punching holes in pad lips). So before going to that trouble I held the hybrid pad on one side and compared the sound to the stock side. Major difference indeed, and the hybrid pad sounded promising enough that I started punching holes and they are on the NH's now. I won't comment too much without listening for a few days, but something tells me I'll be buying another pair of hybrids to replace the ones I stole off of the mt220's.

inthere, have you tried the hm5 hybrid pads on the NH's?

Edit: Wow, I'm really digging this.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #2,923 of 10,196

It's not quite so simple to swap pads on the NH due to the insert with tabs (means punching holes in pad lips). So before going to that trouble I held the hybrid pad on one side and compared the sound to the stock side. Major difference indeed, and the hybrid pad sounded promising enough that I started punching holes and they are on the NH's now. I won't comment too much without listening for a few days, but something tells me I'll be buying another pair of hybrids to replace the ones I stole off of the mt220's.

@inthere, have you tried the hm5 hybrid pads on the NH's?

Edit: Wow, I'm really digging this.

Yeah, I tried the hybrid pads but didn't really get into them nearly as much as the velour pads. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,925 of 10,196
The SDs lift the NH veil of darkness a bit (and let's face it, it's there, as much as I like the NH). I find the mids/vocals pop more with the SDs vs the stock. I'm generally skeptical of aftermarket cables (except for Moon's SD mini-cables, which are great for interconnecting rig components), but in this case I think it does make a significant difference.

Just got it in and it does lift the darkness a bit. But not to a point it takes away the sisgnature. I'm still waiting for it to fully burn in but I'm liking the sound so far. Setup sounding close to high end atm.

Lifatec Optical cable -> Chord Mojo -> Silver dragon V3 -> Audioquest Nighthawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back