AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2,521 of 10,196
When I first tried the Hawks the bass sounded downright smothering. Nowadays if you tried to "brighten" them I'd tell ya to quit messing with my music, haha.

FWIW I'd argue the NH is perfectly "balanced" out of the box. If you prefer brightening it up a tad, then by all means to do, but man they are oh so sweet with the leathers.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #2,522 of 10,196
I've put a good few hours through these now over the weekend - made possible by the fact that not only are they uber comfortable but they're just so easy/non-fatiguing to listen to. Very pleased with my purchase.! 
beyersmile.png

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #2,525 of 10,196
The Nighthawks sound great, but I'm frustrated at the poor quality of the cables. Have ordered some better ones from Moon Audio. Hopefully, I'll have more positive things to say about them when those arrive. Anybody know where I can get some velour pads that fit for these headphones?

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,526 of 10,196
I purchased a pair from a local dealer but unfortunately they have a slight channel imbalance so I'm gonna have to return them. I read a post that stated the same and that it went away after further use but I'm not taking a chance on that.

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,527 of 10,196
  I purchased a pair from a local dealer but unfortunately they have a slight channel imbalance so I'm gonna have to return them. I read a post that stated the same and that it went away after further use but I'm not taking a chance on that.

With as much as these cost, if there are any issues, return them immediately. 

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #2,528 of 10,196

With as much as these cost, if there are any issues, return them immediately. 

Agree. There's been very little to suggest that this could be normal so best to get a replacement pair

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #2,529 of 10,196
Agree re. the silver cable; mine hasn't dealt too well with being in storage - there's a little fraying on the wrap and a couple of square kinks and twists that aren't going to go away.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,532 of 10,196
I'd be interested to hear the NH with the new Dragonfly Red. I'm currently using the Mojo which I really rate but the form factor of the Red (if it can deliver somewhere near the performance of the Mojo), would make it hard to resist!

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,533 of 10,196

@kimragone Something to test if you are experiencing channel imbalance:

Make sure the earpads are completely snapped into the earcup and not loose. If they are not tightly snapped in, a leak can occur which will greatly reduce performance.

So far, we have only had one report of channel imbalance, and this was the problem. One earpad was not snapped in all the way. As we build these headphones, our driver matching and in-line testing is extensive. Though it wouldn't be impossible for a channel imbalance, it is improbable. The earpads are the first thing to check. If it is a driver problem, we will take care of you.

Also, you can always contact our support if ever you have any problems. We're fast, and if the support people are stumped, your email comes right to me.

info@audioquest.com

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,534 of 10,196
Hey Skylar, I remember reading something about the liquid wood pieces being replaceable/changeable? Is that the case? Mine's got a chip in it and I'm looking at hassle-free ways of getting that remedied. XD

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #2,535 of 10,196
  Hey Skylar, I remember reading something about the liquid wood pieces being replaceable/changeable? Is that the case? Mine's got a chip in it and I'm looking at hassle-free ways of getting that remedied. XD

Yes, the earcups are easily changeable. I implemented brass threaded inserts molded into the liquid wood so that the baffles and grilles are affixed with long-wearing machine screws. That means part fitment can be more tightly controlled and disassembly/reassembly can be done many times with consistency and almost no wear.

Technically, by opening up an earcup, you have voided your warranty. But between us dweebs cool kids on Head-Fi, AQ is not known for being sticklers about that kind of stuff.
Real talk: if NigthHawk fails due to our workmanship, we will make it right. If NightHawk fails due to something you did, (for instance: modding, abuse, attempted repair, cat attack, etc.) we'll still repair it or help you repair it, but at your expense.

I don't want to discourage anyone from self-repairing. You own the product; it's your right.

Anyway, to do this repair, you need a replacement earcup, a screwdriver, and a plastic spudger tool.
I recommend a phillips PH1 bit for the 4 baffle screws and a PH0 bit for the 3 grille screws.
The best spudger tool is an authentic Menda #35622 (the knock-offs will break).

Contact our support info@audioquest.com and tell them you talked to me on Head-Fi. We can offer two options: (a) we sell you the earcup and you do the repair or (b) we do the repair. If we do the repair, it will be more expensive due to shipping and labor. If you want to do the repair, we can't validate the acoustics and guarantee that your headphone is back to A1 condition. But unless you're a total butterfingers, it's hard to screw up. We will give you all the knowledge needed to repair. I intentionally designed the assembly process to be easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back