AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #2,371 of 10,196
Woo, that's a great deal, where?

I can definitely attest to the excellent deals on eBay. Although, when dealing with sellers online (specifically eBay and Craigslist) you can run into a few shady characters, I will say that I did find a fairly priced, sub-six hundred dollar pair of Nighthawks on eBay that seemed to be in good condition when I received them and have been excellent thus far.

Interestingly enough, the Nighthawk seems to be going for around four hundred on eBay - take or give - which, in retrospect, yields some pretty good savings on the MSRP of six hundred. So far, to my knowledge, most of them seem to have been in pretty good condition. Overall, I'd say around four to five hundred is a pretty good used price for the Nighthawks, depending on the condition.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,372 of 10,196
  A friend of mine has the Mojo and the NH, maybe having lunch with him today and can ask his opinion of the setup.  I heard it briefly one time and was impressed, but then again I gravitate to a darker, less fatiguing sound to begin with.

I love the pairing myself. In fact it's made me so happy that for the first time I find myself having no desire to try anything else.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,373 of 10,196
I love the pairing myself. In fact it's made me so happy that for the first time I find myself having no desire to try anything else.

Addiction Diagnosis:
In addition to a preoccupation with using and acquiring the abused substance, the diagnosis of addiction is based on five criteria:
loss of willpower
harmful consequences
unmanageable lifestyle
tolerance or escalation of use
withdrawal symptoms upon quitting

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,374 of 10,196
Do not get the Mojo just for the NH, it makes NH very aggressive- totally change of character (something like a th900) - much prefer the IDSD Micro to Mojo for Nighthawk

To be honest, not quite TH900-like actually. yes it does sound more slightly aggressive, but not U-shaped like the TH900 though. I'm using NH with mojo and I love how it sounds.. for now.
The bass impact on mojo is actually quite thin, but there's still bass in it. Pair it with nighthawk, you'll get a good snappy bass impact with quite short decay. Short enough for me to enjoy DnB actually :D.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #2,375 of 10,196
To be honest, not quite TH900-like actually. yes it does sound more slightly aggressive, but not U-shaped like the TH900 though. I'm using NH with mojo and I love how it sounds.. for now.
The bass impact on mojo is actually quite thin, but there's still bass in it. Pair it with nighthawk, you'll get a good snappy bass impact with quite short decay. Short enough for me to enjoy DnB actually
biggrin.gif

Yes, the sound is catchy and detailed - but some find it fatiguing after a while

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #2,377 of 10,196
Being overwhelmingly interested in the NH, I will be getting a pair in a few weeks !

Some time ago I was pretty certain I'd be removing the 3D screens as soon as I got these headphones, but I'm not so sure that I feel using totally open back headphones does'nt also interrupt the development of more complete acoustic harmonics for the sake of greater imaging information.... "Anymore", at least !

Being the "Tweaker"that I am ,I may end up taking them out at some point anyway, but I'll probably hold off doing it until after I see how things sound after about 200hrs of play time on them. I noticed that I can get the black Audeze Vegan earpads from B&H Photo for $62 the pair , so I'll be ordering them this week !

This "New Guy in Town" Hp appears to have a huge amount of "adjustable technology" to it & as a result of that It should.have a huge potential to not interfere with what my several $k playback equipment is already capably giving me .

Oh well, let me go back & browse this whole thread again & have a few chuckles at some of the postings (& more than likely add a few more names to my "blocked" posters list ; I can only laugh at some comments for so long before they just become annoying) (if only you could edit the people that you're personally obligated to deal with on a daily basis)

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #2,378 of 10,196

I'm thinking seriously of picking up a Mojo now, El -- can you (and other owners) elaborate on what makes the combo so special?

best,

o

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #2,379 of 10,196
My only struggle thus far is finding some mid/low price IEMs to complement these things. The Nuforce NE800m are close but I'm not sure they're quite right.

Hurry up on the IEMs, Skylar!!

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #2,380 of 10,196
Welp.

After my 2nd day with these, I'm starting to mould some opinions.

Highs: I've never heard treble ever quite as "formed" quite like with these. Like, treble never seemed so dynamic, in songs it would only seem like one note, with these I'm really hearing a lot for the first time on the high end.

Bass: As with all open headphones, the sub bass (20-60hz) will always be lacking, you can certainly juice it with an EQ, but you end up boosting it by 8-12dbs and by that time, you can start to distort. I was hoping for more sub bass, but I got what was expected.
Now, moving onto 128-500hz or more specifically 150-350hz, I must've been listening to Speakers too much, because I forgot this region even existed. Most speakers have a hard time handling that range, because it's the low end of the bookshelves and the high end of the sub. So it's generally rolled off. So maybe it's because of that, but the 150-350hz region seems so incredibly boosted on these that it's almost painful when piano notes get to the lower end. I toned it down with an EQ, so it's not a big deal, maybe I'll get used to it eventually anyway.

Mids: I hate describing mids, it's such a large region. I'll let others do that for me.

Other things I've noticed are that, just like the Philips Fidelio X2 I came from, they're fairly loose, but not quite as. If you've got a decent sized head, you shouldn't have to worry, but as someone on the smaller side, they're certainly not tight. Which might not be a problem, because I wear glasses. So they definitely haven't given me any pain yet while wearing.

Looks, not that great while wearing, they still look a little odd, but they're still a beauty to stare at.

Overall, I'd say this is probably end-game for me. With burn-in, mental and otherwise, they should only sound better with time. There's just not enough wrong with these and going by the law of diminishing returns, I can't imagine it being remotely worth it to upgrade anymore.

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,382 of 10,196
  My RE-600 in balanced mode from my GOV2+ is pretty close, maybe give those a shot if you get a chance?

Can you compare those to the RE-400? I have the 400's and I can't say they sound particularly close...

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,383 of 10,196
Yup, the NH really has a break in - it took pretty long for me - about 200 hours stretched over 4 months

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,385 of 10,196
You were hoping for more sub bass? LOL it goes down to 10hz in a flat line and the bass is high in level...How can you want more sub bass? unless you want a bass head headphone

I do! However, there just aren't enough high-end bass-heavy headphones. And the ones I've tried are just too uncomfortable to use. Best bet would be like the Denon Ah-d7100, but they just don't have the SQ that you'd expect at their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back