AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,161 of 10,196
Judging the Hawk by a 30 minute test is useless anyway. It's one of the very few headphones that really needs time. 

Also, trying to claim the LCD2f has more "impact" is just dumb, I'm sorry. Yes it extends lower but that's because planars always do, but the impact isn't as visceral, end of transaction. This is what I'm talking about with audiophiles and bass. You get an amazing bassier headphone and everyone who's conditioned to view treble as good and bass as bad says it sounds like a "cheap" headphone because they just equate bass with Beats quality without having the ability to hear the actual improvement. 

But hey, headphones are a personal thing, if people don't like 'em... don't buy 'em. Skylar and AQ did something magical here but it's fine if some prefer the more "standard audiophile" tunings.

The Hawk website brings up a good point vis a vis frequency graphs: sticking two microphones at ear level does not translate to how it actually sounds on your head because it doesn't take into account ear canal travel nor head resonance. Just because a headphone measures in a straight line flat with microphones doesn't mean it SOUNDS straight line flat. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,162 of 10,196
  Judging the Hawk by a 30 minute test is useless anyway. It's one of the very few headphones that really needs time. 

Also, trying to claim the LCD2f has more "impact" is just dumb, I'm sorry. Yes it extends lower but that's because planars always do, but the impact isn't as visceral, end of transaction. This is what I'm talking about with audiophiles and bass. You get an amazing bassier headphone and everyone who's conditioned to view treble as good and bass as bad says it sounds like a "cheap" headphone because they just equate bass with Beats quality without having the ability to hear the actual improvement. 

But hey, headphones are a personal thing, if people don't like 'em... don't buy 'em. Skylar and AQ did something magical here but it's fine if some prefer the more "standard audiophile" tunings.

The Hawk website brings up a good point vis a vis frequency graphs: sticking two microphones at ear level does not translate to how it actually sounds on your head because it doesn't take into account ear canal travel nor head resonance. Just because a headphone measures in a straight line flat with microphones doesn't mean it SOUNDS straight line flat. 

That is true, people also need to try them on numerous different systems to also get a good idea of their sound.

I honestly found many planars don't have great impact unless you listen loud. Something about the Nighthawks tuning seems to freak some people out, it's rather odd. I think it's more than it having a good amount of bass compared to many offerings.

All I know is that I know good and natural sound when I hear it, and the Nighthawks sound really good and natural.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #2,164 of 10,196
  i don't have a powerful amp so i have a question, can you make the NH basshead can with EQ and powerful amp on high volumes without distortions, can they take a lot of juice without problems?

Easily. I had them on a Lyr 2 in the past and they took the all the power without issue and EQ'ing them brought out a lot more bass.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,168 of 10,196

You use the NH in the studio, how is durability on these, i am concerned about silicon suspension of the cups in a long run

Hmmmm, since you asked, my cup did come loose at the airport and my Nighthawk fell onto the hard floor..........but I am really hard on headphones and have destroyed many, including 4 HD650's. I DJ with mine and basically take them with me everywhere.

Now the Nighthawk is modular and the cup was supposed to snap back into place-but it didn't
; it connected ok but I didnt hear the snap and was concerned it may come loose again so I sent it back to Audioquest requesting that they fix it because I didn't want to lose 800+hours of burn in. 

Customer service would have been instant but the headphone went from Amsterdam too California then back to me in Manchester England, lol-when Skylar heard what happened he wanted to repair it himself!

Anyway I got them back and they sound great.

I just noticed this posting about the durability concerns of these headphones & I believe that if you place the NH (Inside of its case) into an SKB microphone hard shell case (which is actually designed to be a "flight case") you will never again worry about damaging your headphones.

While the NH case is just fine if you don't travel around that much , it really doesn't offer much protection from an accidental drop of several feet onto a hard surface. With the SKB case you will have the option of using the foam lining already supplied inside the case or just removing it all & placing the NH inside of it nicely padded case directly into the SKB case. Just take the NH case with you into the Pro Audio section of a Guitar Center or Sam Ash Music store & you can size up which case is the right size.

The case is a bit on the expensive side ($50-$60) but it's a virtually indestructible case that will absolutely protect whatever is placed inside of it from any worst case mishap scenario that you could imagine occuring for the lifetime of that item. When I saw a picture of the NH case the first thing that came to mind was that it appears to be an extremely easy retro fit directly into the SKB case (It's a shame you didn't have one of thes cases to place your Senn HD650 into)

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,169 of 10,196
Recently picked up a very slightly used pair of Nighthawks and while I haven't spent much time with them, I've liked what I've heard so far. Off my Gustard H10/X12 setup, I really enjoyed most everything I threw at it. People have mentioned that these are very "musical" cans and I agree. Also thought that on multiple recordings, male vocals sounded amazing.

I've never gone about burning in a pair of headphones, but I'm willing to give it a shot with the Nighthawks reading about how much they benefit. Any recommendations on how best to accomplish this? Thx.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,172 of 10,196
I just noticed this posting about the durability concerns of these headphones & I believe that if you place the NH (Inside of its case) into an SKB microphone hard shell case (which is actually designed to be a "flight case") you will never again worry about damaging your headphones.

While the NH case is just fine if you don't travel around that much , it really doesn't offer much protection from an accidental drop of several feet onto a hard surface. With the SKB case you will have the option of using the foam lining already supplied inside the case or just removing it all & placing the NH inside of it nicely padded case directly into the SKB case. Just take the NH case with you into the Pro Audio section of a Guitar Center or Sam Ash Music store & you can size up which case is the right size.

The case is a bit on the expensive side ($50-$60) but it's a virtually indestructible case that will absolutely protect whatever is placed inside of it from any worst case mishap scenario that you could imagine occuring for the lifetime of that item. When I saw a picture of the NH case the first thing that came to mind was that it appears to be an extremely easy retro fit directly into the SKB case (It's a shame you didn't have one of thes cases to place your Senn HD650 into)

Yeah, I don't transport them in the case, I wear them around my neck if i'm not listening them. I may start but not positive about that

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #2,173 of 10,196
Recently picked up a very slightly used pair of Nighthawks and while I haven't spent much time with them, I've liked what I've heard so far. Off my Gustard H10/X12 setup, I really enjoyed most everything I threw at it. People have mentioned that these are very "musical" cans and I agree. Also thought that on multiple recordings, male vocals sounded amazing.

I've never gone about burning in a pair of headphones, but I'm willing to give it a shot with the Nighthawks reading about how much they benefit. Any recommendations on how best to accomplish this? Thx.

"Burn in" with just about any component will occur naturally with any play time that you put on what you are attempting to do this to.

While I'm definitely of the opinion that Burn in is beneficial, it really isn't that critical of a process to undertake if you're finding the amount of musical synergy that you are at this stage. If you'd like to "speed up" the process a bit you can do so by letting any musical source play for as many hours as you're comfortable with unattended at a moderate volume.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,174 of 10,196

I don't agree either, they sound pretty balanced to my ears. I got to spend a lot of time with them over several long-ish visits to my friend's hi-fi store.

I do think there are better sounding, if less comfortable  'phones at half the price though.

Which headphones have you found that sound better? (This is an honest question. The lack of tone in written word might make that sound like a disbelieving question, but it's not 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #2,175 of 10,196
I just noticed this posting about the durability concerns of these headphones

Yeah, I don't transport them in the case, I wear them around my neck if i'm not listening them. I may start but not positive about that

Hmmmm.... Do you think wearing them "around your neck" might just impact how durable any headphone might be ? ( He, he,he ... It's a good thing AQ support is as quick to fix things; You're probably making sure the guys working in support have jobs, right ?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back