AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,756 of 10,196
She has a good voice but she really needs to stop hard breathing on the mic, yeesh. 

So I'm listening to the album and... I don't know what you're talking about with guitars sounding like basses. What exactly am I supposed to be hearing? Her vocals are very lush and apparent, the bass drum has a pleasant thud to it, and the sibilance is annoying enough that I'll bet it would be near unlistenable on a brighter headphone. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,758 of 10,196
  Here's one that is an example https://play.spotify.com/artist/07r7OPIALkj6Icaoj4Kf5l

The headphones that you mentioned before are all analytical. If you look at something like the LCD-2F where it's linear through to the treble with a slight bump that an example of a headphone that has minimal exaggerations, less so than the NH IMO. 

I assume the song you're talking about is "Radioactive" I just picked the one with the guitar. Anyway, the notes on the guitar in the 125-200z range are bumped in the recording, so that's what you're hearing on the Nighthawk. On my Ether C, I don't hear that bump because the Ether C is recessed in that area.........intentionally. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,759 of 10,196
It's on quite a lot of tracks with the acoustic guitar. I tried to send some individual songs but couldn't do it. I'm using the HD650 and Mrspeakers Ether with the NH's and it's quite apparent. 

I'm also noticing the NH tries to fit everything in like it's all crammed in and everything feels more congested(stock pads) HD650 feels more natural a bit less sub bass more coherent. Mrspeakers Ether sounds the worst in terms of tone though, weak bass impact and no vocal weight, 

The NH sounds the least coherent but I like it better than the Ether. I hear bass boost on pretty much everything but I don't mind it for certain music. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,760 of 10,196

I assume the song you're talking about is "Radioactive" I just picked the one with the guitar. Anyway, the notes on the guitar in the 125-200z range are bumped in the recording, so that's what you're hearing on the Nighthawk. On my Ether C, I don't hear that bump because the Ether C is recessed in that area.........intentionally. 

It was a different song but that one I also hear exaggeration in the bass. What program is that? interesting. I would love to use that on other tracks.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,761 of 10,196
  It was a different song but that one I also hear exaggeration in the bass. What program is that? interesting. I would love to use that on other tracks.

LOL. that "exaggeration" is in the recording, i just showed you. If you *don't* hear that exaggeration, your headphone has recessed low mids. The program is a Waves plugin called PAZ Analyzer but you can also use PAZ frequency. 

*edit* link to PAZ Analyzer:

http://www.waves.com/plugins/paz-analyzer

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,762 of 10,196

LOL. that "exaggeration" is in the recording, i just showed you. If you *don't* hear that exaggeration, your headphone has recessed low mids. The program is a Waves plugin called PAZ Analyzer but you can also use PAZ frequency. 

I will compare to live music. I mainly listen to a lot of Japanese vocals and rarely listen to live. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,763 of 10,196
  I will compare to live music. I mainly listen to a lot of Japanese vocals and rarely listen to live. 

If you mean recorded live music that still won't really help out because it's still every bit as subject to the recording quality. The various classical albums I've been trying out prove this pretty darn well.

I'd love to see more analysis of tracks like the above, though. I've been doing it and I'm really surprised by how often what the spectrum analysis shows matches what I'm hearing. I'd be listening to music before and thinking "this sounds pretty even with some nice bass thud" normally, but the spectrum shows a MASSIVE bass tilt. Headphones were flattening them.

You know what would be a VERY interesting test? Play some tracks for someone through the Nighthawks and then show them images of various spectrum analyses and ask which they think represents what they were hearing. See how often they pick the right one. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,764 of 10,196

Yeah Dave, I prefer the stock pads also, the velour pads are nice too, but they thin out things a lot a I find I lose impact on some of my favorite stuff. The velour pads are a very sweet sound though and it's a radical change from the stock pads. 

Yes, I like the impact and warmth of the stock pads, but I didn't mind the velour.  But when I bought the NH I was also looking for a warmer sounding HP which still remained detailed.

What I find surprising is the that some posters find the mids/vocals to be recessed on the NH.  I only find this to be the case in bass heavy songs.  Most of the music I listen to sounds lush, rich, and natural to me using the NH.  I tried listening to  Olivia Newton-John's "You're the One That I Want" and the vocals did sound recessed as the song is heavier in the bass, so I just changed to a different song. It probably would have been better with the velour pads.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,765 of 10,196

This track is a beautiful track(if you into this type of thing) I actually think the Nighthawk plays this one really well could you see if your program picks up any bumps in the vocals as this is one of the only tracks it does;t sound recessed in 
https://play.spotify.com/album/6LlN8ySfiZfCIF2Emda5XI

Track 7 and also track 3 sounds correct.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,766 of 10,196

Just remember that live music is very different from recorded music. 

The Nighthawk is faithfully reproducing the recording, Your Ether and my Ether C are not. They are boosting the treble and removing the low frequencies. Your HD650 and my EL-8 are doing the same thing, but not as much. 

You may like the sound of the HD650 better, but no way is it more accurate than the Nighthawk..................you just don't like accurate. It's like seeing your favorite model airbrushed as opposed to seeing the unretouched photo with her stretch marks revealed. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,767 of 10,196

You may like the sound of the HD650 better, but no way is it more accurate than the Nighthawk..................you just don't like accurate. It's like seeing your favorite model airbrushed as opposed to seeing the unretouched photo with her stretch marks revealed. 

So, I get stretch marks with the NH's? Hmm, I might have to rethink things... 
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,768 of 10,196

This track is a beautiful track(if you into this type of thing) I actually think the Nighthawk plays this one really well could you see if your program picks up any bumps in the vocals as this is one of the only tracks it does;t sound recessed in 
https://play.spotify.com/album/6LlN8ySfiZfCIF2Emda5XI

Track 7 and also track 3 sounds correct.

LOVE ALL THE TRACKS! Thanks for that! I was just on the Ether C thread trying to explain that video game music and sounds were really good now because everyone was saying don't buy Ethers for gaming.....................I think spending money for game sound is an even better reason for buying great headphones than just listening to music. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,770 of 10,196
Final Fantasy 11 and 13 had unbelievable music too, is there a new single player coming out soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back