AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,591 of 10,196
I've tried the Shure 1540 pads on the Nighthawks not long after getting them, did notice a drop off in the bass. I preferred the thicker sound of the stock pads.

Has anyone tried the Sony UDA-1 with the Nighthawks? I have a unit coming in soon, planning on using it as a DAC only after I get a new amp later next month, but am curious if the Nighthawks sound good on the built-in amplifier. 

The Shure pads are Alcantara pads, I would try the complete velour pads.

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,593 of 10,196
Repost of #1512:

It's completely reversible and only the replacement pads get slightly damaged when you rub holes in them........and even then you can still use the pads for other headphones;

Here's the Nighthawk ear pad frame:

You just put the pad on the frame:

Once on the frame, you rub out the holes over each post:

Once that's done, you snap each ear pad on and you're ready to go:

I rubbed out each hole so it would be pretty snug.........I suppose I could have cut out holes with scissors but putting the pads on the frames seemed easier than measuring the distance between each hole. Also notice that in the 2nd pic the Nighthawk stock pads already have holes in them, so if you want them back on it's pretty easy.

That Brainwavs purple hybrid pad shown in the pictures sounds very bad, and i don't mean that in a good way!

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,594 of 10,196
Thank you inthere and JMC for the information. Some of the nighthawks magic peeked through when I tried them at the store, but I think I'm going to ask if I can borrow them for a couple of days to see how they sound with my equipment at home. I also often get stressed when Im trying out gear at a store, like I have to give a well rounded and coherent judgement after I'm done.

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,595 of 10,196
Thank you inthere and JMC for the information. Some of the nighthawks magic peeked through when I tried them at the store, but I think I'm going to ask if I can borrow them for a couple of days to see how they sound with my equipment at home. I also often get stressed when Im trying out gear at a store, like I have to give a well rounded and coherent judgement after I'm done.

Smart idea. Get them home, use your equipment, your music, in your setting, and then make your judgement. Maybe you won't like them, probably you will. But trying them at home is the ABSOLUTE best way to know for sure. Good luck.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,600 of 10,196
There's a new review of the NightHawks on Headfonics: http://headfonics.com/2015/12/the-nighthawk-by-audioquest/​

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,601 of 10,196
There's a new review of the NightHawks on Headfonics: http://headfonics.com/2015/12/the-nighthawk-by-audioquest/​

Sounds like he didn't burn the nighthawks in. The bass on my pair has decreased to the point where you could think it was a different headphone from out of the box, and the mids have come out as well. I was really suprised he criticized the depth of the sound stage, to me it sounds perfectly in line with the width and height.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,602 of 10,196
I can't share the same enthusiasm for the velour pads. The sound is noticeably thinner even though I acknowledge the extension of the sound stage. What is most disappointing is the comfort - the material is not even that soft. My HD598 pads even feel better. I'll give it more time but it looks like 20 bucks wasted.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,603 of 10,196
I've never really believed in burn in, but the Nighthawk's might have changed that sentiment.  They really do sound different than when I initially bought them.  The bass has definitely decreased and they overall sound more open and less muddy.  This is not to say however that they are a completely new headphone.  They are still dark and smooth, but with less extremes.  

That said, I think I may sell them due to the sound leakage.  For some reason my roommate doesn't enjoy hearing my music :)  If anyone wants them let me know!

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,604 of 10,196
Sounds like he didn't burn the nighthawks in. The bass on my pair has decreased to the point where you could think it was a different headphone from out of the box, and the mids have come out as well. I was really suprised he criticized the depth of the sound stage, to me it sounds perfectly in line with the width and height.

There is no evidence of any burn in in headphones. The headphones do not change but rather you just get used to their frequency response because that is what the brain does. Listen to the HD600 for a month and you'll think the Nighthawk has a recessed midrange and bass that bleeds into the mids. Most people don't find the Nighthawk to be a neutral headphone. It's a good headphone but I wouldn't want one unless I was going to be using EQ.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

If people aren't happy with their headphones after a week then they should return them. These stupid posts saying you need X hundred hours of burn in are awful and just make it worse for everybody else. The number of hours of burn in always seems to get higher and higher with defensive fanboys always ready to leap in with a higher number if someone doesn't like the headphone. Post-purchase rationalization hurts everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back