AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,326 of 10,196
Heh,he,he... iIt's been kind of "In the know" secret that's finally becoming more recognized that "Soundtrack Albums" can contain some really interesting music in terms of melodic development & Orchestral contrasts , The great thing about this music is it has a great potential for introducing people to a less structured but equally enjoyable type of Orchestral music.

From what I've been able to pick-up in most of the threads I've been reading about the NH's sound characteristics this music appears to fit pretty naturally into their sonic represtational "wheelhouse". It appears to me that a lot of sound signature that people like to assign as deficient in the NH sound more to me like the reasons I'm really not interested in listening to the music genres that point to these "flaws". I know what well recorded Non-Studio recorded music Acoustic music should sound like .

The heavily modified Senn.HD800 headphones that I'm using may just be my "End Game" phones, but it took a lot of "work" to make them stop trying to impose their "voicing" on the music I listen to..I may just have to see if Audioquest didn't make the same mistakes Sennheiser made in trying to make mediocrely recorded music sound better.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,327 of 10,196
One instrument that blew me away more than anything else when using the NHs is trumpet.  It's frequency is high enough that the strong mid-bass doesn't kick in, leading to a super smooth and clean sound which when combined with the NH's dark signature, means there's also an absence of sibilance.  It's just sounds soooo good.  

For example (I know people don't like Chris Botti for whatever reason, but this track emphasizes my point):

alternatively: https://open.spotify.com/track/1D1NsFNa4jA347uW2Iimtn

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,328 of 10,196
Heh,he,he... iIt's been kind of "In the know" secret that's finally becoming more recognized that "Soundtrack Albums" can contain some really interesting music in terms of melodic development & Orchestral contrasts , The great thing about this music is it has a great potential for introducing people to a less structured but equally enjoyable type of Orchestral music.

From what I've been able to pick-up in most of the threads I've been reading about the NH's sound characteristics this music appears to fit pretty naturally into their sonic represtational "wheelhouse". It appears to me that a lot of sound signature that people like to assign as deficient in the NH sound more to me like the reasons I'm really not interested in listening to the music genres that point to these "flaws". I know what well recorded Non-Studio recorded music Acoustic music should sound like .

The heavily modified Senn.HD800 headphones that I'm using may just be my "End Game" phones, but it took a lot of "work" to make them stop trying to impose their "voicing" on the music I listen to..I may just have to see if Audioquest didn't make the same mistakes Sennheiser made in trying to make mediocrely recorded music sound better.

Do you have any recommendations of some good orchestral music?  I've listened to some classical here and there throughout the years, but I've been slightly overwhelmed by how much quantity and variety there is.  

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,330 of 10,196
Heh,he,he... iIt's been kind of "In the know" secret that's finally becoming more recognized that "Soundtrack Albums" can contain some really interesting music in terms of melodic development

Do you have any recommendations of some good orchestral music?  I've listened to some classical here and there throughout the years, but I've been slightly overwhelmed by how much quantity and variety there is.  

For Film music, there's always Hans Zimmer, Miklos Rozsa, Bernarnd Hermann (He did a lot of the music for the Hitchkock films) , Jerry (can't think of his last name; He did the music from the "Cowboys"), etc.,

This is the obvious film music , but there is plenty more . Just try to think of any "memorable" music from a film than Google that film to find out who was used to compose the music. The interesting thing is that a lot of "Traditional" Classical composers may have some film music to there credit , as it may have been a good paycheck to do some work in this less structured format !

(Then there's the really obvious Orchestral music such a Beethoven, Ravel, Holst, Resphighi, Rachmaninov ;
Other than Beethoven , I would try the "Tone Poems" of the others first rather than the Symphonies.. For an uplifting sonic spectacular with some beautiful inner movement writting you might try Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances. Happy listening discovering this music)

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #1,331 of 10,196
For Film music, there's always Hans Zimmer, Miklos Rozsa, Bernarnd Hermann (He did a lot of the music for the Hitchkock films) , Jerry (can't think of his last name; He did the music from the "Cowboys"), etc.,

This is the obvious film music , but there is plenty more . Just try to think of any "memorable" music from a film than Google that film to find out who was used to compose the music. The interesting thing is that a lot of "Traditional" Classical composers may have some film music to there credit , as it may have been a good paycheck to do some work in this less structured format !

(Then there's the really obvious Orchestral music such a Beethoven, Ravel, Holst, Resphighi, Rachmaninov ;
Other than Beethoven , I would try the "Tone Poems" of the others first rather than the Symphonies.. For an uplifting sonic spectacular with some beautiful inner movement writting you might try Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances. Happy listening discovering this music)

Wow!  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Now I just need finals to be over to be able sit back, relax, and do some serious listening.  Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back