AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #8,626 of 10,194
I have the original Nighthawks and love them. I really want to pickup a pair of the NightOwls to compare.

There’s never been a better time. The prices are very good.

I’ve had mine since November and I use it daily. Great closed-back.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #8,627 of 10,194
After having spent some more time with this odd bird I keep coming back to the word: natural. Disregarding the frequency response there’s something there..something that echoes real life sounds in that you feel the bottom of every note..the individual - sometimes erratic moving harmonics render in THE most natural way I’ve ever experienced over a dynamic headphone.
It’s basically the piano that gives it away. I often miss the beautiful black abyss of the bottom end of a piano over headphones. I find it rather difficult to convey in words, but there is a fullbodied and information-packed “aura” attached to almost any key and chord on the piano...in real life.
What I get with this high flying bird is something akin to that; a thing that stirs within in oh so beautiful a manner. Having run through 80+ headphones during the last couple of years, and listened to thrice that, I still feel this carbon based fowl, along with the Ollos, takes me the closest to Horowitz’ lap.

What more? Yeah...sure. Once your brain gets a handle of the darker coffe-like presentation it starts noticing the small details - the cough in the back at the studio/the raspy emanation of a pick scraping at an upright bass-guitar string..and the world opens up - it’s as if someone opened up a window in your head and now you get air and this incredible almost tangible soundstage.
Right there..you’re wearing the most comfortable speakers imaginable.
The bird has found it’s nest, that’s for damn sure!

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #8,629 of 10,194
After having spent some more time with this odd bird I keep coming back to the word: natural. Disregarding the frequency response there’s something there..something that echoes real life sounds in that you feel the bottom of every note..the individual - sometimes erratic moving harmonics render in THE most natural way I’ve ever experienced over a dynamic headphone.
It’s basically the piano that gives it away. I often miss the beautiful black abyss of the bottom end of a piano over headphones. I find it rather difficult to convey in words, but there is a fullbodied and information-packed “aura” attached to almost any key and chord on the piano...in real life.
What I get with this high flying bird is something akin to that; a thing that stirs within in oh so beautiful a manner. Having run through 80+ headphones during the last couple of years, and listened to thrice that, I still feel this carbon based fowl, along with the Ollos, takes me the closest to Horowitz’ lap.

What more? Yeah...sure. Once your brain gets a handle of the darker coffe-like presentation it starts noticing the small details - the cough in the back at the studio/the raspy emanation of a pick scraping at an upright bass-guitar string..and the world opens up - it’s as if someone opened up a window in your head and now you get air and this incredible almost tangible soundstage.
Right there..you’re wearing the most comfortable speakers imaginable.
The bird has found it’s nest, that’s for damn sure!
You impressions are identical to mine, it's such a satisfying headphone - Comfort, pleasing aesthetics and a sound signature like no other headphone on the market!

This is not medicine for when you are feeling sick! More-so, Mum/Dad's chicken soap to comfort you, while you are sick!

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #8,630 of 10,194
I both dig and dislike the analogy with comfort and soup, but maybe that’s because I associate such imagery with geriatrics who’ve lost the power to chew:p
Listening to Shuggie Otis’ masterpiece Inspiration Information over the fowl has me prancing through the jungle like a black panther on the prowl. The vivaciousness and raw feel of the bottom end just grabs a hold of the primal parts to me..and I end up moving about in ways that echo what James Brown would have been doing if he had been an extra in Footloose.

Edith: One thing though..switching back n forth between headphones can get a little crazy with the hawk in the house. It kinda reminds me of owning an Ultrasone. If you’ve burned in the upstairs cockpit with either Hudson Hawk or a PRO2900 for a while and then swap to..well just about any other headphone, everything will seem dull and lifeless.
Conversely going the other way round can make the bird sound like small transistor radios playing from two bathtubs strapped to your face.
Only for a bit though..then you hear something subtle and the music opens up like origami.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #8,631 of 10,194
I just placed the order for some nighthawk carbons. I'm really looking forward to them. I tend to like darker sounding headphones especially when I want to rock out as neutral ones just get shrill after a very short time at elevated volumes. Hopefully the nighthawk will satisfy me. In any case, greetings to all the fellow nighthawk owners here! :)

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #8,633 of 10,194
I see that they are selling Nighthawk Carbons from the Listen Up Warehouse with full warranty for $230. They are returns i believe. A good price? Excitement factor on 1-10 with 10 being Yowser?

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #8,634 of 10,194
Anyone have a link to a decent alternative cable they're using for the NH (relatively cheap) -- on fleabay there seem to be either $15 Chinese options or $150 fancy options, nothing in between. Something likely to be well made in the $30-$40 range would be nice.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #8,635 of 10,194
Anyone have a link to a decent alternative cable they're using for the NH (relatively cheap) -- on fleabay there seem to be either $15 Chinese options or $150 fancy options, nothing in between. Something likely to be well made in the $30-$40 range would be nice.

I'm pretty sure the hd700 and some hifimans use the same little 2.5mm plugs that the nighthawks do, I'd look in that direction

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #8,636 of 10,194

I am very happy with my Forza AudioWorks HPC Mk2 cable. Select the Hifiman/Oppo endings. They are 95 EUR (101 for 1.5m) now but definitely a nice cable. I had bought a 30 EUR one from Amazon before and it was better than the stock one, but still a "coily" mess after a week or so. I think it's worth spending a bit more and having something that sits properly between the amp and you.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=105

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #8,638 of 10,194
I see that they are selling Nighthawk Carbons from the Listen Up Warehouse with full warranty for $230. They are returns i believe. A good price? Excitement factor on 1-10 with 10 being Yowser?
That's the same company that was selling them for $150 originally. I got one from them and mine was new in the box. You could tell they were never even unpacked but it was missing the 1/4" adapter and the adapter cleaning cloth (from my experience those adapters are junk anyways). I'm very impressed with the NH so far. Best $150 I've spent in a long time.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #8,639 of 10,194
This looks nice and in your price range.
https://www.amazon.com/KK-Cable-Com...1773616&s=gateway&sr=8-7-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

I'm actually thinking of getting it myself. Its pretty sad that a company like audioquest that literally made their reason of existence ridiculous cables for audiofools and bling fanatics, will not even make a balanced cable as an option for there own headphones. Is that irony?

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #8,640 of 10,194
20190310_180501.jpg

Hoarding up the NH and NO. 1 OG NH, 2 NO, 1 black NH and another OG NH on the way from the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back