AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 13, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #6,346 of 10,196
  weird. Imo the Nighthawk has his strength in vocal oriented music and weakness in some metal tracks. i actually prefer the DT 1770 for metal, because drums and guitars just sound a lot punchier and cleaner. But i gotta say, i really really love my Nighthawks <3 and after like 150 hours of listening even metal sounds really good with them. It still improved even after 100 hours of break in.

My comparison was with the NH & HD 650 . The NH's just slams the drums and bass with so much more impact than the HD 650. The HD 650 excels with the voice and mids compared to the NH. That is what I hear anyway, your impressions may very well differ.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,348 of 10,196
Browsing through some old pages,i see that some have cable issues? and there is mention of new cables with original NH

Could someone explain what cable issues were those? Also, how do i know if i have new cable with my original NH ?

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #6,350 of 10,196
  Has anyone measured the differences between the pads yet?

Approximate but from the horse's mouth...or hooves:

Originally Posted by SkylarGray /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-SNIP-

I was recently PM'd about pads, and gave the reply below. This might offer some clarification.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #6,352 of 10,196
That just shows what the pads basically do it's not a FR graph.

Yeah I agree here.... I dont think the US pads have such a drastic roll off in the bass department at all. So I think the graph is just to give an idea that the US has a reduced bass and the boost has boosted treble

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #6,355 of 10,196
  Anyone?

With the original, woody-look NH comes a long 3m cable (along with a short, more durable one), which has a relatively fragile 3.5mm jack plug (and better sound quality according to AQ). Some NH owners (including me) had problems with this plug, but in each case the cable was replaced under warranty. With the new carbon NH there is a completely new cable which is thick and short (1.3m).

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #6,356 of 10,196
Just an observation I've made with my NightHawks. My pads are still not super-worn in.

If I purposefully depress the pads a few millimeters and reduce the air volume between driver and ear, aswell as seat the driver closer to my ear, the sound does become more enveloping, the treble looses the edge and feels more integrated and natural, the soundstage feels a bit deeper and more immersive, and the midrange is brought up.

I think I'll enjoy the NH even more as the pads become softer and more worn-in.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #6,357 of 10,196
  With the original, woody-look NH comes a long 3m cable (along with a short, more durable one), which has a relatively fragile 3.5mm jack plug (and better sound quality according to AQ). Some NH owners (including me) had problems with this plug, but in each case the cable was replaced under warranty. With the new carbon NH there is a completely new cable which is thick and short (1.3m).

​Thank you

My cable(one that supposedly sounds better) is about 2.4m long. So far I don't have any issues with it, but its only been a few hours of listening.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #6,358 of 10,196

​Thank you

My cable(one that supposedly sounds better) is about 2.4m long. So far I don't have any issues with it, but its only been a few hours of listening.

You are right, it is 2.4m, not 3. If you have no issues yet, and you will be careful with the jack plug, it will work just fine. The rubber coating of the plug implies, it is flexible to some extent. It is not. The trouble starts, if you bend it. Enjoy this fabulous headphone, like many of us! :)

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #6,359 of 10,196
You are right, it is 2.4m, not 3. If you have no issues yet, and you will be careful with the jack plug, it will work just fine. The rubber coating of the plug implies, it is flexible to some extent. It is not. The trouble starts, if you bend it. Enjoy this fabulous headphone, like many of us! :)

Thanks!
I like it paired with m9xx, but not so much with tube amps

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #6,360 of 10,196
It has been a long time now, does anybody recall if this is the suitable adapter for using various Audeze LCD 2.2 cable on our NH's?
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Hypershort-Audeze-Hifiman-Oppo-lcd-2-3-x-xc-pm1-pm2-pm-he-1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back