AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #5,746 of 10,196
  Ah Gotcha

Yeah I agree. I'm a big gamer so I generally run most headphone through a gaming test. Funny enough, all the headphones I enjoy for music have not been great at delivering that open space feel I like with games. The HD800 was the first headphone that can do that without selling me short on vocal, sub bass and other areas that headphones like the K701 variants , AD700's etc didn't give me.

I do like the NH for games, bass is great but when I want to travel Ard Skelliger in the witch I need that space, hear the wind in the distance and the sounds of natural as if I'm walking there myself. I think the NH and HD800 will keep me going for many years, infact; if they break I might buy them again lol

Hmmm... You must be using a "modded" HD800 !

If your HD800 ever break I may send you mine (they still have a bit of "Harmonic Thinness to them compared to my Microsueded NH... IMO, of course) (The K701 or where they 702 where absolutely missing enough lower bottom octave response to enjoy Orchestral Music very long; I would often feel like Beethoven must have felt (though it didn't stop him in the long run)

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #5,747 of 10,196

Headphones can only output what they hear & if that isn't up to snuff the majority of the reason is because the information presented to them wasn't sufficient enough for a better result.  

I pretty much agree with this. Amp/DAC should be on the same level of quality as the headphones. Otherwise you miss out quite a lot, and you do not use the full capacity of the better equipment.

Well ,thats a start, (& if you're talking about 'portable audio' & other then also listening to uncompressed lossless files may be as far as you can go with this), but I was talking about starting even bit before that if you're listening on a dedicated home based music listening system.

My system starts with my Equitech 1.5Q BPT line conditoner w/ I have plugged into a Promethean PowerFlo . I thought I'd been hearing a substantially low "Noisefloor" through the PSA PP600 I was listening through until I heard things through the Equitech. It's pretty strange when you suddenly realize that there is a level of quiet beyond what thought there was. The thing that grabs your attention is that there's a more palpable sense of Dimensionallity that you can't recognize what it is that you are now hearing. I'm talking about someone bumping into a music stand or sheet music pages being turned on an Orchestral stage occurring on a frequent basis (If the recording allows this type of inner detail). Like I've mentioned though, you don't realize what it is that is different until the level of this low level information hits you like a brick when you finally do realize what the sounds are (not the volume of these sounds, but the inclusion of this low level information gives you a sense of scale to music being performed in a live breathing space)

To be completely honest, I'll admit that this level of detail may not be that necessary to achieve dependent on how Dynamic the music genres you listen to on a recurring basis. Music that is based on Acoustical instrumentation will absolutely thrive with this kind of attention to detail. I usually don't care to listen to the Orchestral music I prefer to listen to elsewhere than at home . Live Concerts being the only real exception. Other types of Acoustic Music benefit equally well. If you're picking up a pattern that I don't stray far from these genres of Music you would be absolutely correct.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #5,751 of 10,196
If you live in the UK there is zero availability of the new Pads and no date of when they could be expected. How difficult can it be to distribute PADS'S?

Skylar's previous email regarding Pads was for USA Geography only.

It's not like you speak a hard to understand language in the UK. 
blink.gif

Then there's that pesky # Sterling to US $$$ conversion 
biggrin.gif
..................... and we can't forget Britex!!!  
confused_face_2.gif

It really shouldn't be that hard to buy these items and have them shipped to anywhere on the planet!

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #5,752 of 10,196
Just got my US pads and ran through all the usual tracks and I have come to the conclusion that it is a complete joke that these cost me $300! Especially when one considers that aforementioned Utopias sell for $4,000...

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #5,754 of 10,196
  Just got my US pads and ran through all the usual tracks and I have to the conclusion that it is a complete joke that these cost me $300! Especially when one considers that aforementioned Utopias sell for $4,000...

Perhaps I'm missing something and I'm confused, Venture Guy. 

Are you saying that the US pads are a joke?

What cost $300...............the NH?

No doubt something got lost in the post or I didn't get it..............or are the Utopia's the joke at $4K???

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #5,757 of 10,196

Ah Grasshopper!

I see now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

So did you find the US pads to your liking?

Well, yes Sensei, I did. 

If I want something that sounds about as good as my PMx2s, which means like a flat nearfield monitor, then Ultra Suedes.

If I want something that sounds like speakers, then Classics.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #5,758 of 10,196
  Well, yes Sensei, I did. 

If I want something that sounds about as good as my PMx2s, which means like a flat nearfield monitor, then Ultra Suedes.

If I want something that sounds like speakers, then Classics.

I guess that makes me a flat nearfied monitor lovin' guy

Thanks for playing the home version of "What's up with These Pads!",  Venture Guy!

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #5,759 of 10,196

I guess that makes me a flat nearfied monitor lovin' guy

Thanks for playing the home version of "What's up with These Pads!",  Venture Guy!

@EdwardPL was saying earlier today how his planars sound anemic in comparison to the NHs. After A/Bing I am not so sure it isn't nearfield that sounds anemic in comparison to farfield. I mean, relatively speaking, the US pads make the NHs sound anemic when compared to the Classics. @SkylarGray's goal with the original tuning was to recreate as much as possible the experience of listening to speakers. He nailed that! The only way to do better is to use some exotic DSP... something I am playing with :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back