AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 18, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #5,701 of 10,196
That's magnets. The Utopia uses neodymium magnets as well. In fact most dynamic headphones use neodymium magnets. I believe I read somewhere the Elear uses less powerful Ferrite magnets. The Z1R has a magnesium dome and an aluminum-plated LCP surround for it's driver. The drivers in the Z1R are not cheap or easy to make. Nor are the Focal drivers, especially the Beryllium Utopia driver.

Thats interesting indeed but with my listening the z1r is only slightly better then the elear not in any way shape or form worth $1300 more then the elear. At all. The nighthawk though continues to impress me for its price performance ratio. Im happy I jumped on these when they went on sale for $350

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #5,702 of 10,196
Thats interesting indeed but with my listening the z1r is only slightly better then the elear not in any way shape or form worth $1300 more then the elear. At all. The nighthawk though continues to impress me for its price performance ratio. Im happy I jumped on these when they went on sale for $350

Well that's how audio often is and you often reach the point of diminishing returns. Sometimes you get the best deals looking at vintage gear, especially if you don't mind tinkering a little. Then there is preference to factor in. Did you spend much time with the Z1R? 

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #5,704 of 10,196

Are they the boost pads? I didn't realize they were suede. If they are I'm out. I can't stand suede.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #5,705 of 10,196

Are they the boost pads? I didn't realize they were suede. If they are I'm out. I can't stand suede.

The Boost pads have 0 'micro' or 'Ultra' suede. Take a look at your OEM pads. There is a thin strip of microsuede inside. The Boost replaces that strip with pleather so the entire Boost Pad is Pleather.

The UltraSuede pads are indeed suede.................but a VERY nice suede!

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #5,708 of 10,196

No-o-o.... The 'boost' are the Leather Pads (which will 'Boost' the focus of the Bass to accentuate the Mid- Bass impact; I thought it might have been a lukewarm idea to name the earpads anything other than by what material is being used for the 2 various earpads)

Who would have been confused by just calling them the Leather Pads & the Ultrasuede pads . If they going to be honest about naming the pads why didn't they also name the Ultrasuede pads , 'balanced' pads..

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #5,710 of 10,196
Nooo... There are three types of pads:

1) Classic -- Pleather on the outside and US on the inside. The US on the inside soaks up the mids and allows the bass to hit with full force. These create the unique tuning that we all know and love.

2) Boost -- Pleather inside and out. These decrease bass a little bit and enhance the mids compared to the Classics.

3) Ultra Suede -- US inside and out. These decrease bass a couple of dB while leaving mids and highs untouched compared to the Classics.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #5,711 of 10,196
Hello. If anyone want to get Mint AQ Nighthawk, check out listing (http://www.head-fi.org/t/832707/audioquest-nighthawk-as-new). I just got AQ NH a couple of weeks ago and want to try planar headphone so letting NH go (I already have a couple of DD headphone but never tried Planar). I am pretty sure that I will miss NH a lot...

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #5,712 of 10,196

The Boost pads have 0 'micro' or 'Ultra' suede. Take a look at your OEM pads. There is a thin strip of microsuede inside. The Boost replaces that strip with pleather so the entire Boost Pad is Pleather.

The UltraSuede pads are indeed suede.................but a VERY nice suede!

Yeah, they do look a bit similar to the Audeze LCD Microsuede pads I'm using on my NHs.

One of the first things I'm going to do,when my NOs come, is to compare the Ultra to the Micro pads . Looks are deceiving but it looks like the Ultras aren't quite as Deep or Thick as the Audeze pads (Which might be a good thing if it means they add a bit less weight to the headphones; but it really isn't that big a deal as I'm doing all my listening in my 'easychair' in my 'Audio System Room')

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #5,713 of 10,196
  That's magnets. The Utopia uses neodymium magnets as well. In fact most dynamic headphones use neodymium magnets. I believe I read somewhere the Elear uses less powerful Ferrite magnets. The Z1R has a magnesium dome and an aluminum-plated LCP surround for it's driver. The drivers in the Z1R are not cheap or easy to make. Nor are the Focal drivers, especially the Beryllium Utopia driver.

Does anyone know how much Beryllium is used in the Utopia or why they've decided to use it?

As far as I remember it sells for around $20 per 1 gram pellet, though if you buy it in larger quantities, you can get it for closer to $5 or $6 per gram.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #5,714 of 10,196

Please post how you like them!

Quick check in, at a high level, the ultrasuedes put the bass in check by lowering the db and tighten up slightly. the mids and trebles are accenuated making it more balanced. The orginials were a little too bassy for me so this works out perfect. All in all I'm happy with the change in pace.

For kicks when I installed, I put the ultradsuede on one side and left the other to check comfort (don't even try to play music this way, it's awful), the US felt cool to the skin at first and more comfortable, but warmed up quickly moreso than I ever had with the originals, which I never noticed with my ears heating up before. A little concern for long term listening, but maybe it's just excitement?! 

As for the cable, I could not tell much of a difference from the originals, I guess I bought it for the microphone. I'll probably swap back and forth a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back