AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #4,651 of 10,194
Maybe so. I can see changing the distance and angle making the difference. I've gotta say that after this experience, I'm not too interested in buying additional BW pads to try out, though...

No, I didn't think you would - or should lol. I do appreciate you getting the pads that you did though and trying them out - thanks. If you were in Canada I'd fire off my pairs to you.

Do you (or anyone) know how much the AQ velours are going to cost?

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #4,652 of 10,194
Not me. Love that Liquid Wood look!

+1 Yeah so do I.

Even tho the Ether Flow beats the Hawks I'm not departing with mine. Hawks make a damn good spare.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4,653 of 10,194
Not me. Love that Liquid Wood look!

+1 Yeah so do I.

Even tho the Ether Flow beats the Hawks I'm not departing with mine. Hawks make a damn good spare.

Haha, after I chipped one of the woods and it cost $100 to fix I think I want something a little sturdier.

And I'd hope the Flow beats the Hawks, we're talking $1800 vs $550 MSRP lol. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,654 of 10,194

And I'd hope the Flow beats the Hawks, we're talking $1800 vs $550 MSRP lol. 

Yeah. Exactly.

Not by much tho. Only reason I mentioned it. Hawks still have their place. I think the Hawks might be better than Flow on bright music. Time will tell.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #4,655 of 10,194
Nope, I think the AQ Velours provide a sound more headfi'ers will prefer vs AQ Pleathers. But for all of the HD800 lovin' "audiophiles" of there, I think BW Angled Velours will be your pads choice.

And please don't think that just because something is highest in a category that I think it's the best. For instance, I prefer the lowest Sibilance option. Some would say the BW Velours are just exposing Sibilance present in the recording. Frankly, I don't care to hear that. I want to enjoy my music, so the AQ pads ability to suppress sibilance while retaining detail makes them a much more enjoyable choice for me.

Same with the Upper Mid and Treble rating. This is another "less is more" category for me.

The only category the BW pads won that I thought made them better was Soundstage, but I totally understand that's because of the decreased bass and increased upper end.

Hope that clears things up!

Yes, it does!. Thanks again for taking the time to give your opinion regarding the various pads and how they work with the NH, nmatheis!

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #4,656 of 10,194
Yes, it does!. Thanks again for taking the time to give your opinion regarding the various pads and how they work with the NH, nmatheis!

No problem. Honestly, Nighthawks are the first full size headphones that have really grabbed me besides HEX, and I've heard quite a few TOTL worthy headphones. The problem I encounter with most of them is piercing treble. I'm so glad Nighthawks don't have that!

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #4,657 of 10,194
How does the sound on the NightHawk compare to the V-Moda M-100? Just curious.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #4,658 of 10,194
For the AQ IEM, I'd think the current similarity already available would be the Audeze iSine series. They're supposedly diminishing low distortion as well and really spacious sounding, like full sized cans. As for the Ether Flows, those were the first cans I've heard that made me consider dropping 4 figures for. It instantly takes me out of the room I'm in, and into the world of the music, like you're floating along with each note -- that engaging. I had it right next to the $4k focal elears and still preferred the flows. I heard the $4k lcd-4, stax on a gsx2, and hd-800s at the same head-fi sf meet. I still preferred the flows.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #4,659 of 10,194
For the AQ IEM, I'd think the current similarity already available would be the Audeze iSine series. They're supposedly diminishing low distortion as well and really spacious sounding, like full sized cans. As for the Ether Flows, those were the first cans I've heard that made me consider dropping 4 figures for. It instantly takes me out of the room I'm in, and into the world of the music, like you're floating along with each note -- that engaging. I had it right next to the $4k focal elears and still preferred the flows. I heard the $4k lcd-4, stax on a gsx2, and hd-800s at the same head-fi sf meet. I still preferred the flows.

I'd need to hear iSine outside of show conditions. Heard them at RMAF, and they reminded me of Oppo planars. I'm not a fan of the Oppos, so I wasn't digging the iSine. Maybe I'd like them better in a quieter, home setting. But then again, I don't want to have to wear IEM at home for optimal listening, lol :p

Anyways, I'm happy to wait and see what SkylarGray & Co. bring us with the new IEM, and I wholeheartedly volunteer as IEM beta testing guinea pig!

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #4,660 of 10,194
How does the sound on the NightHawk compare to the V-Moda M-100? Just curious.

I find the M-100 to be much less refined and more V shaped than the Nighthawk. The M-100 is fun for a bit but over the long term I get very tired of listening to them. With the Nighthawk I would say they are warm, smooth and non-fatiguing, yet detailed and extended. Also, the Nighthawk is MUCH more comfortable than the M-100. Overall the Nighthawk is a vastly superior headphone IMHO.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #4,661 of 10,194
Nov 28, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #4,662 of 10,194
I'll have to check 'em out at next year's New York spring meetup if someone brings a pair. I'll be particularly interested in hearing how they perform with my extreme EQ presets, versus my M-100s.

Just watched your RockBox EQ / M-100 infomercial. With that amount of EQ what does it matter which headphones you're listening to? LOL!

Sorry, not for me. Glad you're liking your setup for you though.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #4,663 of 10,194
I find the M-100 to be much less refined and more V shaped than the Nighthawk. The M-100 is fun for a bit but over the long term I get very tired of listening to them. With the Nighthawk I would say they are warm, smooth and non-fatiguing, yet detailed and extended. Also, the Nighthawk is MUCH more comfortable than the M-100. Overall the Nighthawk is a vastly superior headphone IMHO.

I second this. Nighthawk is on a different level. It also scales much better with higher quality equipment.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #4,664 of 10,194
With that amount of EQ what does it matter which headphones you're listening to? LOL!

It matters, bigtime. Power handling and X-max of the drivers, volume sensitivity, sub-bass sensitivity and low-end extension, clarity and detail in the mids & highs, response to EQ'ing, portability and durability, etc. All of them matter...absolutely.

Sorry, not for me.

You mean...you never, ever, ever had a big, loud, thumpin' system in your car when you were in your late teens and twenties -- rollin' down the block bumpin'...while bobbin' your head and thinking, "I'm cool, I'm cool, I'm cool, I'm cool"?

Man,...you sure missed out on an essential part of youth! That's like...a rite of passage! 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, you might be pleasantly surprised at how my headphone setup sounds. With the right EQ preset for the song that's playing, it doesn't have excessive midbass, nor does it bleed into the midrange, either. And if the treble sounds a little harsh on that song, then you also can choose a less-bright treble category in the EQ presets, as well.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #4,665 of 10,194
It matters, bigtime. Power handling and X-max of the drivers, volume sensitivity, sub-bass sensitivity and low-end extension, clarity and detail in the mids & highs, response to EQ'ing, portability and durability, etc. All of them matter...absolutely.

You mean...you never, ever, ever had a big, loud, thumpin' system in your car when you were in your late teens and twenties -- rollin' down the block bumpin'...while bobbin' your head and thinking, "I'm cool, I'm cool, I'm cool, I'm cool"?

Man,...you sure missed out on an essential part of youth! That's like...a rite of passage!  :D

Anyway, you might be pleasantly surprised at how my headphone setup sounds. With the right EQ preset for the song that's playing, it doesn't have excessive midbass, nor does it bleed into the midrange, either. And if the treble sounds a little harsh on that song, then you also can choose a less-bright treble category in the EQ presets, as well.

Yeah, I tried that about 30 years ago, not for me. I remember you from the M-100 thread now. Good luck to you. Moving on......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back