AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Aug 28, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #692 of 957
  People keep talking about a huge 1kHz dip on the Nighthawk. That perception appears to be driven from some really terrible independent measurements taken from a particular source.

There isn't a 1kHz notch. Do sine sweeps yourself. Use a tone generator and sweep up and down to find the peaks and valleys. If there is a 1kHz dip, it is almost imperceptible, and is nowhere near the 10-15dB that some people are claiming.

I don't actually own these headphones, I just have them on loan to review them, but I feel like I have to defend them from some of the crazy comments pervading various threads about them. I don't get to keep them at the end, and I'm probably not going to buy them (my ears are bigger than the pads), but the "massive 1kHz dip" claim is just objectively and measurably false.

My pair are completely burned in, but I can't imagine burn-in is responsible for removing a canyon of a dip. They've improved and brightened a bit over time, but it's not like I have a different pair of headphones on my head than I did 200 hours ago.

Very well said! People should try these themselves, rather than take the advice of a few amateur reviewers who post their reviews and measurements all over the web. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #693 of 957
  People keep talking about a huge 1kHz dip on the Nighthawk. That perception appears to be driven from some really terrible independent measurements taken from a particular source.

There isn't a 1kHz notch. Do sine sweeps yourself. Use a tone generator and sweep up and down to find the peaks and valleys. If there is a 1kHz dip, it is almost imperceptible, and is nowhere near the 10-15dB that some people are claiming.

I don't actually own these headphones, I just have them on loan to review them, but I feel like I have to defend them from some of the crazy comments pervading various threads about them. I don't get to keep them at the end, and I'm probably not going to buy them (my ears are bigger than the pads), but the "massive 1kHz dip" claim is just objectively and measurably false.

My pair are completely burned in, but I can't imagine burn-in is responsible for removing a canyon of a dip. They've improved and brightened a bit over time, but it's not like I have a different pair of headphones on my head than I did 200 hours ago.

+1000.  I've been wanting to say the same thing for a while. I've run frequency sweeps and test tones on my NightHawks and there is no huge dip at 1000Hz. I've compared them to pre-Fazor LCD3 and Oppo PM2 to confirm that the midrange level is comparable on all of them. My pair has 35-40 hours on them. At first, there is an obvious boost and a somewhat 'thick' sound on the lower end. This continues to tighten and improve as you use the phones. As the low end improves the high end also becomes a little more prominent and the sound is much more balanced. It's not a 'brighter' high end, just there and very detailed when it should be. One thing I really love about the NightHawk is that, as music gets louder or you increase the volume, the phone just gets louder as needed, but there is no added harshness or brightness, just a smooth increase in the volume. It never sounds strained or like it has more distortion, no matter what the volume level is. Skylar has discussed the low distortion of the NightHawk and I absolutely agree on this.

My observations are based on using good amps and dacs, not on using iphones or portable amps. Nothing against either one, but I don't feel you should make a critical evaluation of a full size headphone using an iphone. Not saying the iphone can't sound good, but you won't get the power and control to properly test with an iphone. Some portable amps will get you close, but a lot of them, while having good sound quality, again are limited in power. Use iphones and portable amps to verify they can so a good job on your chosen headphone, but I would always reserve final judgment to using a good dedicated amp.

I would also say the NightHawk is somewhat amp dependent, but I think it is showing the character of the amp more than some phones do. Tube amps can add some warmth and thickness that may not agree with the phones, whereas solid state can tighten the sound and make it more lively, so you need to try both. It's kind of funny that people will bend over backwards to find an amp that will work well for them with high end phones like the HD800, LCD2 and 3, TH900, etc., but think they can use any amp with the NightHawk, HD650, etc. Most better quality phones will respond to different amps in different ways, which also will be influenced by your source, so try to experiment with any phone before making a final decision.

These are my opinions and impressions, so you may not agree. What I can say for sure is that the NightHawk is, to me, is a very nice headphone. It does need a lot of break-in time to reach it's final sound signature, so give it a fair trial. Keep an open mind and make your on decision instead of relying solely on what others may say. For me, I can say that mine are staying here with me.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #694 of 957
As stated, I tested burned in cans on both an iPhone and an audiophile DAC and amp. I don't recall the names, I was focused on the AQ. I was surprised how similar the result was. I don't debate, there are folks here who like them, and don't notice a mid dip in their testing. Just as others here had said they heard boxiness in the lower mids as I did. Nobody is right or wrong, it's just opinion. It does not always mean and inferior playback path, or a non burned in pair. It's okay to disagree. I respect your opinions on these.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #695 of 957
  As stated, I tested burned in cans on both an iPhone and an audiophile DAC and amp. I don't recall the names, I was focused on the AQ. I wa surprised how similar the result was. I don't debate there are people here who like them, and don't notice a mid dip in their testing. Just as others here had said they heard boxiness in the lower mids as I did. Nobody is right or wrong, it's just opinion. It does not always mean and inferior playback path, or a non burned in pair. It's okay to disagree. I respect your opinions on these.

To a very large extent you are correct mate! We are all different and there will be as many opinions as there are people trying the Nighthawks. From what I see the majority who give a good long listen to them, find they are better than at first glance and in fact better than what seemed possible at first. People who take a hard stance on one of the top headphones, will find it hard to  admit that the Nighthawks might be as good as they really are and maybe better than their favourites.
I know I will never let these go! From my cold, dead hands...!   LOL!

Leo

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #696 of 957

To a very large extent you are correct mate! We are all different and there will be as many opinions as there are people trying the Nighthawks. From what I see the majority who give a good long listen to them, find they are better than at first glance and in fact better than what seemed possible at first. People who take a hard stance on one of the top headphones, will find it hard to  admit that the Nighthawks might be as good as they really are and maybe better than their favourites.
I know I will never let these go! From my cold, dead hands...!   LOL!

Leo

It's always been my contention, after being able to review the NightHawks for a fair amount of time, is that, if you go into your listening session with preconceived notions of biases, then you'll come out of it disliking the NightHawks. But if you go into that session with your mind free and open, give them a fair, long listen, then you'll come out of that audition feeling as I do, that the AudioQuest NightHawks are worthy of being classed with the best on the market. Whether or not that means you'll buy them? well, that's up to you. But at least you'll know.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #697 of 957
That's the thing. I went there expecting to be floored by the quality. A dynamic that did what high end planars did for half the price and weight. I wanted to enjoy them, especially seeing them in person. They'd also had some of the best subs I've heard regardless.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #698 of 957
  That's the thing. I went there expecting to be floored by the quality. A dynamic that did what high end planars did for half the price and weight. I wanted to enjoy them, especially seeing them in person. They'd also had some of the best subs I've heard regardless.

The first impressions of them aren't always the greatest, they are headphones you really just need to sit down with for a few days and decide if you like them or not. It's like that with a lot of headphones, but especially so with the Nighthawks.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #699 of 957
Woohoo!!! I finally managed to receive my raffle prize from AudioQuest. A big thank you to AudioQuest for the generous prize and big shout out to Nick Allen from AudioQuest for co-ordinating it.

The NightHawks look beautiful in person and the packaging is great. I need to run them in but intial listening experience is that like everyone said, they sound unique. There is definitely a slight boxiness to the sound the funny thing is that if I didnt have any other pair of headphones to compare it with, I wouldnt know it. I am running them through Fiio X5ii + Hugo combo and boy do they sing. I have to burn them in but it looks like I might sell my LCD-2 v1 as they are just as capable or arguably better than the original LCD-2. The top end sounds sparkly and very detailed to me compared to the LCD-2 and HD650 while the mids do appear restrained. The bass on these things make me smile. I will reserve judgement following extensive listening and burn-in but I am one happy head-fier.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #700 of 957
  Woohoo!!! I finally managed to receive my raffle prize from AudioQuest. A big thank you to AudioQuest for the generous prize and big shout out to Nick Allen from AudioQuest for co-ordinating it.

The NightHawks look beautiful in person and the packaging is great. I need to run them in but intial listening experience is that like everyone said, they sound unique. There is definitely a slight boxiness to the sound the funny thing is that if I didnt have any other pair of headphones to compare it with, I wouldnt know it. I am running them through Fiio X5ii + Hugo combo and boy do they sing. I have to burn them in but it looks like I might sell my LCD-2 v1 as they are just as capable or arguably better than the original LCD-2. The top end sounds sparkly and very detailed to me compared to the LCD-2 and HD650 while the mids do appear restrained. The bass on these things make me smile. I will reserve judgement following extensive listening and burn-in but I am one happy head-fier.

Glad you are enjoying them. You got really lucky winning them like that.

They definitely do sound unique. I'm personally planning on selling my HD 650 and DT 150. I think the only headphones I'll keep alongside with them is probably the K712.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #701 of 957
These aren't the 'end all be all' of headphones as much as many folks here seem to believe. In the end, they're pretty decent $600. cans and probably compare favorably to headphones costing more. But my LCD-3's are better, and by not a small margin.

I get that a lot of folks love these but gotta be realistic.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #702 of 957
  Glad you are enjoying them. You got really lucky winning them like that.

They definitely do sound unique. I'm personally planning on selling my HD 650 and DT 150. I think the only headphones I'll keep alongside with them is probably the K712.

I've never won anything in my life and this will probably be the last I ever win anything
biggrin.gif

In my opinion, they are proving to be far more enjoyable than the HD650's which by comparison feel a bit dull now.

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #703 of 957
I've never won anything in my life and this will probably be the last I ever win anything :D

In my opinion, they are proving to be far more enjoyable than the HD650's which by comparison feel a bit dull now.

Enjoy your new cans. Let your ears decide what is best for you. Hope you find yourself re-listening to all your favorite music as well as discover some new music with the NightHawks.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #704 of 957
  These aren't the 'end all be all' of headphones as much as many folks here seem to believe. In the end, they're pretty decent $600. cans and probably compare favorably to headphones costing more. But my LCD-3's are better, and by not a small margin.

I've listened to the LCD-3's, the HifiMan SE-560's and the Oppo PM-1's. All are/were superb headphones. All rate right near the top of today's headphone market. But I have to say, after spending quite a bit of time with the NightHawks, the new AudioQuest headphones can stand right there with those three planar's at the top of the heap. Which you choose will be dependent on your priorities and your ears. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #705 of 957

Why do I/we have to be realistic? End all, be all, maybe not, but right up there with the best in our opinion! LCD-3's are better for you...yes, enjoy!  We think the NH's are excellent! We will enjoy the heck out of them regardless of those who don't like them as much and who also think we are not being realistic.
Everybody, enjoy your music with whatever devices you have at hand.  That is what is really important! 

Leo 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back