Audioquest from ebay: real or fake?
Feb 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audioquest is a rip off company, on that I will agree. They sell an optical cable for $400 that is identical in every way to this 150 strand (I think that was the count) glass optical generic cable I picked up for $20.

did you hear any SQ difference w/ this cable over regular plastic toslink?

well, there's only one chinese manufacturer making glass toslink AFAIK...they're all rebadging their products(hence the "glass optical fiber" logo on the plugs on all of them): SHIN KIN - GLASS TOSLINK CABLES

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 25
I would most certainly call it fraudulent from the price however proof would be in opening it and seeing how it has been terminated and what it's made of. The VDM 2m "should" cost £29 and if he says that they are new and he has them due to his friend closing down then really I can't see why he is not asking for £20, there or there abouts. The chinese are bad for frauds, I am aware that Sennheiser headphones are another product that the chinese like to try copying.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 25
I did a lot of research with this. It turns out at least 90 percent of high end cables listed on e-bay Australia are 100 percent non-genuine. Even one passed off locally for used Audioquest I know are fake - the packaging is nevver shown and the endcaps protecting the plug are of incorrect design.

High end cables on e-bay = don't.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #19 of 25
LOL, the Ozzies must have found a cheap supplier from China and bought the cable in bulks, and now selling it on eBay
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you hear any SQ difference w/ this cable over regular plastic toslink?

well, there's only one chinese manufacturer making glass toslink AFAIK...they're all rebadging their products(hence the "glass optical fiber" logo on the plugs on all of them): SHIN KIN - GLASS TOSLINK CABLES

I didn't have a plastic Toslink on hand at the time so I cannot say. Unlike coax, I haven't heard a difference between plastic cables or glass and I see no reason for there to be, especially since you will get audio even if the cable isn't plugged all the way in.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't have a plastic Toslink on hand at the time so I cannot say. Unlike coax, I haven't heard a difference between plastic cables or glass and I see no reason for there to be, especially since you will get audio even if the cable isn't plugged all the way in.

many ppl say that glass toslink is a night and day w/ plastic..to them only glass toslink can sound as good as coax
redface.gif

Introducing the dt700 Glass Toslink Deluxe! - Agoraquest - Sony Forum, News, Reviews
Quote:

the traditional Glass Toslink that I have been recommending here at Agoraquest for the last 3 years.

LITE AUDIO DAC AM REVIEW
Quote:

In my opinion, the Dayton glass optical cable was a little smoother and warmer than the coax but with better sounding highs and imaging.

Parts-Express.com:*Dayton GOC-3 Glass Optical Digital Cable 3 ft. | toslink optical cable glass optical fiberoptic. digital optical Dolby digital 5.1
Quote:

You can literally see the higher level of light transfer.

glass toslink - Agoraquest - Sony Forum, News, Reviews
Quote:

you will have to go far above a $600 Digital Coax maybe even all the way up to the $1,000 Tara Labs THE ONE to possibly be able to top the sound quality of Fused Silica Glass Toslink.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #22 of 25
Not meaning to rise this thread from the dead, but...

There is this fella ebay who sells all his audioquest cables for roughly 50% msrp. I also know that he cannot be an authorized dealer since aq prohibits them from selling on ebay. However, he seems about 60% (per my judgement) legitimate in regards to his products. I do know that cable companies mark up their products like no other, so I wouldn't be suprised if they are the real deal (or not). Here is the link:  http://stores.ebay.com/Cables-More.

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #23 of 25
Wouldn't be surprised if my King Cobra's were fake. Still, they sound a damn lot better than the crappy stock $2 RCA cables I have. Getting a pair of 40cm custom made RCA cables soon that cost me $280 anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
Not meaning to rise this thread from the dead, but...

There is this fella ebay who sells all his audioquest cables for roughly 50% msrp. I also know that he cannot be an authorized dealer since aq prohibits them from selling on ebay. However, he seems about 60% (per my judgement) legitimate in regards to his products. I do know that cable companies mark up their products like no other, so I wouldn't be suprised if they are the real deal (or not). Here is the link:  http://stores.ebay.com/Cables-More.

Send an email asking about the packaging.  They won't respond - FAKE!!!

I did my research, my Audioquest Cheetahs were bought from a physical retailer with packaging and the unmistakable endcap that AQ uses to plug up the bare RCA ends.  These E-bayers cannot show you these.  I've seen Sky interconnects without the DBS being sold (not that I believe DBS actually works).

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 25
Guarantee it's fake.  For the Chinese, it is child's play to manufacture cables at next to nothing, throw up pictures of a well-known cable, and claim it's that.  They'd probably sell a lot more if they got a billing address in the US and raised the price.

I've dealt stuff before and you can't sell it for below MSRP, ever.  If it's less than MSRP, it's going to be fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back