Audioquest from ebay: real or fake?
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

soberspine

Head-Fier
I found on ebay audioquest speakers cable type 4 or type 8 for example. They are located on China. Here, second hand they are twice the price.

My question is are they fake? otherwise they are a real good deal imo. tnx

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 25
Price too good to be true?
If so, then they are most certainly fake. Hard to guess without knowing anything else than you wrote above...

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

My question is are they fake? otherwise they are a real good deal imo. tnx

tempting isn't it? I've just returned mine, which was obviously fake. these are harder to tell. It would be interesting to see a poll of how many think they're fake or real.

imo, it's totally fake. Chinese are the counterfeiters of the world - anything worth faking has probably been faked at one time or another - and the best part is sometime the fake is better than the original!! LoL (I kid)
the fat multi millions business corporations have only themselves to blame. greedy f-ers

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone the other day posted that a vendor was selling the top of the line interconnect from Audioquest for $25. These are all obviously fake.

I think it was me, and it doesn't look too fake to me: Audioquest/CinemaQuest VDM-Xr 2M Digital Video Cable - eBay

VDM-XR is the top of the line cable for digital audio/video

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 25
The item location says it all. Ebay is flooded with stuff from China, and they have no scruples that I can see. It's made just well enough to separate Yanks from their dollars.

edit - I recall that a few years ago, there were "Bryston" amps being sold, but some people noticed that they did not weigh enough, and guess where they were coming from?

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 25
the bad part is if you don't know how the original product looks and sounds you can buy fake cables and never know it. Ill just avoid audioquest from unknown sellers. tnx for answering me.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it was me, and it doesn't look too fake to me: Audioquest/CinemaQuest VDM-Xr 2M Digital Video Cable - eBay

VDM-XR is the top of the line cable for digital audio/video

Having the box is usually a good sign. VDM-X is in no way the top of the line anything. It's just about the bottom of the AQ line. Above that there's VDM-1, 3, 5, and above those, Hawkeye and Eagle Eye with 48V and 72V DBS systems. Eagle Eye costs $750 I think.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having the box is usually a good sign. VDM-X is in no way the top of the line anything. It's just about the bottom of the AQ line. Above that there's VDM-1, 3, 5, and above those, Hawkeye and Eagle Eye with 48V and 72V DBS systems. Eagle Eye costs $750 I think.

from what I see on their website:

they only have two 75Ω RCA cables? VDM-A and the higher end VMD-X? I've got no use for BNC at this point..it's only $45 on amazon, though..so it's not uber-snake oil: Amazon.com: AudioQuest class X video cable - RCA plugs 2m (6.56'): Electronics

it's said to be a very good cable, so hopefully I'll be covered
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

they only have two 75Ω RCA cables? VDM-A and the higher end VMD-X? I've got no use for BNC at this point..]

AQ offers their higher end digital coax cables in both RCA and BNC terminations. That's what those pictures are showing you. VDM-5 is a pretty good digital coax for the $120 or so that it goes for on Audiogon. Otherwise there are better alternatives out there.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 25
They're not fake, they're fraudulent. As far as function is concerned, these Hong Kong cables are as real as those of any overpriced domestic brand they rip-off.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not fake, they're fraudulent. As far as function is concerned, these Hong Kong cables are as real as those of any overpriced domestic brand they rip-off.

it is not legal on many accounts. there is little that can be done because it is in china. they know this and that is why this cottage industry has come to be. if someone was making/selling fakes in the us or a number of other countries they would be in serious trouble.

all i can say is if there is one reason to compel you not to buy this stuff it is that it is 99% of the time lower quality than lamp cord!
i have seen in person some of the examples and they are trash.

some might question why aq makes cables that run $10k+, that is a different story. i assure you no one on the planet is offering the same thing(or even close) for the prices on ebay. in fact if they are copying a $100 aq(or other name brand) cable you can rest assured it is probably much lesser quality!

there are very nice chinese companies and it is obvious who they are. these guys on ebay are simply thieves. they are robbing the real manufacturer and they are robbing the buyer as well!

if it is too good to be true... look at legit auctions for the same products and you will see the sellers are asking a whole lot more money.

music_man

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #14 of 25
Price looks too good to be true, hence most certainly fraudulent.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Audioquest is a rip off company, on that I will agree. They sell an optical cable for $400 that is identical in every way to this 150 strand (I think that was the count) glass optical generic cable I picked up for $20. The only difference was the name silk screened on the connector. I've seen both in person so I can verify that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back