Audiophilia is stupid
May 5, 2003 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
Well it is. As I write this I am listening to my POS Sony bookshelf system which I used to think was great. Now all I hear is grainy mids, muddy bloated bass, and a rolled off high end. And you know what? I'm still enjoying the music. (Led Zeppelin compilation disc, Hot's on for nowhere as I write this)

What is our problem? I've spent upwards of a grand from the time I lurked to the time I became vwap wannabe, useless poster extrodinaire and what has it gotten me? An increase in fidelity I actually had to train myself to hear. Am I insane? Of course I am, but that's besides the point. The point is that we spend all of this time and money and effort to chase something as inane as the reproduction of recorded music. Why? I understand that music is an amazing spiritual, artistic and creative medium that can ease or stir the soul in a way that transcends the simple mechanics of a vibrating eardrum. But why can't we tear ourselves away and find a higher purpose for the uncountable hours we have spent in system tweaks and analytical listening. I mean analytical listening? How the hell did that come about? Why am I listening for a minuscule amount of bass extension or soundstage width in a/b testing when I could actually be enjoying the music like normal people do?

Or more than that, I could be out. Breathing the air and hearing the birds sing. Going to the beach and being awed by the majesty of the breaking waves as they glow luminescent with that freaky plankton and roar with their grand power (there's a beach up near zuma I go to for that).

Even further I could actually be doing something meaningful in a greater sense. Mentoring a troubled youth. (actually I got fired from doing that, another long story) Building shelter for the homeless, feeding the hungry, working to discover the cure for cancer (something I actually am doing come to think of it). I could be out, meeting new people, sharing stories, finding love and rapture and being enthralled by the human experience.

But no. I'm here. Posting on a damn headphone forum! A headphone forum!

Anyways, there's no real point to any of this. I'm just ranting cause finals start this week and I'm goofing off. I love this community. I think it is populated with extremely good and decent people with a knowledge base that astounds me in all things, headphones and otherwise. So what's my point?

Ummm... yeah, no point here. I'ma try and go back and get some studying done I guess.

Later.

May 5, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
What is our problem? I've spent upwards of a grand from the time I lurked to the time I became vwap wannabe, useless poster extrodinaire and what has it gotten me?

Anyways, there's no real point to any of this. ...[snip]... So what's my point?

Ummm... yeah, no point here.

Spoken like a true Team Useless Poster.
biggrin.gif

Glad to have you aboard
wink.gif

May 5, 2003 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 21
After reading this thread I couldn't help but join in too... Maybe someday we will outgrow Team Broke!

May 5, 2003 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 21
Sounds like you had quite an epiphany there Goose.
biggrin.gif
Is that last amount of sound you can eek out of your system worth it? Is that next insane amount of dough worthwhile for a new source that costs as much as a car? Will this quest for the Holy Grail of sound ever end if you dare to get on the merry-go-round? You can get off at anytime you know, but you never will.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, at least you ended on a positive note. At least you get to bask in the company of some of the finest people around, that, if you actually met face-to-face, you would easily and gladly call your friend. There are some exceptions, but even then I think even those people just need someone who will look past their rough exterior and let a few insults slip by. Far too often a misunderstanding, miscommunication, or pride gets in the way and causes problems here. (Well, alcohol also, but we won't go there.) This forum has more of a family atmosphere where people genuinely TRY to help other people out who are either: just getting started; got a big tax refund; or is just plain itching to spend some hard earned dough and we want to live vicariously thru them.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2003 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Far too often a misunderstanding, miscommunication, or pride gets in the way and causes problems here. (Well, alcohol also, but we won't go there.)

And sleep deprivation...don't forget sleep deprivation...

May 5, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 21
If by stupid you mean impractical, well then sure... One could argue that all hobbies are stupid. They don't serve any real purpose outside the enjoyment of those who practice it.

I wouldn't quite call Audiophilia stupid, if you get enjoyment out of hearing the best possible sound, then it is merely impractical. I couldn't explain it if asked to, but I get enjoyment out of listening my favorite music from different perspectives and levels of quality.

As having participated in two expensive hobbies, cars and audio, I am only left with one thing to ask...

What the hell else would we do with our time and money?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Do what makes you happy.

May 5, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 21
Team useless poster LIVES!!
and uh, hey TWIFOSP, whats up with team w00t?
I might be interested in joining.
-Mag

May 5, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
And sleep deprivation...don't forget sleep deprivation...

....and ramen, you develop a keen taste for ramen.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it may be stupid, but aren't we a loveable bunch?

May 5, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 21
Well, for me, the music always comes before the sound.

I prefer to listen to music on a high-fidelity system, but if a portable CD player and a pair of stock headphones are all I've got, I'll take them gladly. The music is what moves and inspires me, not the sharp treble and deep bass.

- Chris

May 5, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
Team useless poster LIVES!!
and uh, hey TWIFOSP, whats up with team w00t?
I might be interested in joining.
-Mag

Team wo0t is my attempt at humor.

Team wo0t is just a way to say woo, which boils down to you should be on whatever team that makes you go wo0t!

It isn't really a "team"
smily_headphones1.gif

wo0t!

May 5, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
... and what has it gotten me? An increase in fidelity I actually had to train myself to hear.

But it sounds so damn good on a decent system. It's a drug...we get hooked on Koss, build up a tolerance and see the flaws in that, buy the next set of headphones...and a new source...and before you know it you're looking at $150 interconnects and RS1s. And you look out from your smug little corner and know that this is how the music was supposed to be heard.

Hobbies are expensive. But they're so much fun.

May 5, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 21
"Audiophilia is stupid."

More like: Audiophiles are amazingly gullible, sometimes have no apparent taste, and lack direction (easier to say what one wants than to find it).

NGF

May 5, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 21
I agree with you. This hobby is a bunch of crap. Unfortunately, I enjoy it immensly, and I don't regret a dollar I have spent since I joined Head-Fi. It's like I'm an alcoholic who is fully aware that he has a problem, yet he drinks because he enjoys it. In the Audiophile world, it would appear that admitting you have a problem is not the first step toward recovery.
frown.gif

Quote:

What the hell else would we do with our time and money?!

Women, alcohol, tuition, food, charity...

In the end, the music just sounds so damn good that I can't convince myself that the money could really be better spent elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back