Audiophilia is stupid
May 5, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 21
music nath charms to soothe the savage beast.

or to keep the stress at bay.

in your case it helps you study.

in others, it helps them think clearly, or at least clear the thoughts of the mundane world. your attention is completely devoted to internalising, though few close their eyes.

in a world where we are all stressed out over being overcrowded, music gives us a little space to breathe.

May 5, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #17 of 21
I must be unique here, because i acually came here because i didn't like the equiptment here, not out of a vauge search for something better. The sporta pro's that i had had at the time just weren't cutting it for me, and oddly enough, the one thing this place has taught me, is how good that stuff really was. Now, a grand later, I've found better, but i'm still not happy with anything that i own at the moment. Sure, it's good, but when is good ever good enough
wink.gif

R-10's, here i come
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 21
I do not consider myself an audophile but - last night I caught myself smiling while I was listening to a song I know for years due to a whole new dimension of closeness to the music, unknown to me before. The lyrics of the song are very personal and I loved them for years. Yet it is the quality of the Ultrasone HFI-650 that made obvious how brilliantly this particular tune is produced, played an recorded. I felt so into the music, with the vocalist telling his story right inside my centers of perception. I can`t imagine it closer than this, even if this guy was whispering the lyrics right into my ears in real life. I was picking the way he was pronouncing specific letters, I could hear the sound of his lips an tongue inside his mouth - very spooky feel. Not to mention distinctive layers of accoustic and electric guitars coming from all directions, distant echoes, gentle drums in the background...

I agree that the music undoubtly comes before the sound, since I was enjoying the same song for years using $15 sony earbuds, but, according to my humble experience, nice equipment makes a difference well worth the invested money. Now I just can`t decide whether this constant absence of money in my wallet is my bad or good luck, because I have pretty wicked upgrade related ideas on my mind.

What I actually was trying to say is that this is one of the nicest threads I`ve seen here recently.
smily_headphones1.gif

And that I like Head-fi very much.

May 10, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 21
goose,

you've only spent a grand?

you got another $1500 to go before you hit the average median.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

An increase in fidelity I actually had to train myself to hear.

Are you sure? Or was it a matter of discovery? Think back to when you were a baby. Why did you want to learn how to walk? <I want to inject an idea concerning diapers> When we are young we can't wait to grow old. When we are old we wonder what the rush was for. <pass me that Bing Crosby 78>

are you going to wish you had learned how to play the piano or violin?
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #20 of 21
I already play piano, guitar, bass, a little bit of drums, a little bit of turntables and I sing constantly. Not much interest in violin but I think it'd be fun to play a double bass. Why do you ask?

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 21
There is nothing wrong with your opinion. Maybe it’s best that you just stick to average gear like sound bars and stock headphones .

I spent years listening to cheap plastic speakers and loved It actually. Nothing wrong with that.

However, I do believe that the rich sonics of good audio gear is a beautiful thing especially in the realm of vinyl and tubes.... but it’s not for everybody and you don’t have to be embarrassed or frustrated if hi fi is not your cup of tea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back