Audiophiles = natural preferance towards "warm" IEMS?
Dec 7, 2008 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gothamm

100+ Head-Fier
or so it seems...even though by definition, self-proclaimed audiophiles are supposed to lean towards a "flat" sound...my personal observation.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 9
Audiophiles usually (or used to) have (though high-end) speakers, which IMO presents less highs to the listener. Not that the speakers (tweeters/horns) can't produce it, but high frequencies being directional, really anything other than "1-inch from the ear canal" (IEMS, headphones) will let in relatively less amount of high frequencies. Since the audiophiles are used to speakers, this sound signature becomes their reference.

Then when some IEMs/Headphones try to present the high frequencies, it seems harsh or fake to them.

That's my guess anyway.....

Now that you bring this observations, I think it explains why there are top-of-the-line IEMs such as the Shure SE530 that has so (IMO serverly) rolled-off highs....

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Dec 7, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or so it seems...even though by definition, self-proclaimed audiophiles are supposed to lean towards a "flat" sound...my personal observation.

1. Most audiophiles will lean on a side of neutral - some prefer brighter sound (they like to call it 'analytical') and others prefer some warmth (and often refer to it as tube-like).
2. Show me an IEM that sounds like HD600 and we can discuss why people don't lean towards the neutral sound. Until then - people don't exactly have a choice between neutral and otherwise. I guess for portable listening, warm is the lesser of the two evils.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 9
eh...the DT880's are 'cold' and 'analytical' in the sense they have lots of detail so it blows that theory out of the water.
That said, I have 'cold' cans and 'warm' cans.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Most audiophiles will lean on a side of neutral - some prefer brighter sound (they like to call it 'analytical') and others prefer some warmth (and often refer to it as tube-like).
2. Show me an IEM that sounds like HD600 and we can discuss why people don't lean towards the neutral sound. Until then - people don't exactly have a choice between neutral and otherwise. I guess for portable listening, warm is the lesser of the two evils.

so what you are inferring is that there is not a single IEM on the market that has a flat sound?
confused_face.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 9
I agree about the neutral sound. As IEMs bypass the outer ear, they don't need to have a flat frequency response, but rather to be perceived as flat.

Right now, I know of no IEM that's really neutral, at least among universals.
I don't know if the UE10 was neutral, but a guy I rely on said it has rolled off treble.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 9
audiophiles are not attracted by the flatness of the sound, i consider myself an audiophile but like a nice bassline...

ill explain. aslong as the sound is quality, clear, musical and clean then this is what audiophiles look for. no distortion, no harmonics or unsettling resonance and pure crystalline sound.

it dont matter if your listening to worlds best bassline 7 or whatever, aslong as the quality of sound is top notch then it all goes down to what sound you prefer, in other words it does not matter if you like pure bassline or classical. audiophiles are concerned with the sound quality not frequency quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back