Audiophile, yet portable-ish headphones for under 250$
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

roksraka

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody!

I'm thinking of buying some new headphones and I need your help. I've been using Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones for over 3 years now, but since I'm not longer DJing, these headphones no longer suit me, since they overemphasize the bass, also, they are quite cheaply built (although nothing broke). I'd like a pair which would justify the buying of a 200$ DAC/amp, has a neutral, balanced sound (I listen to a lot of jazz, funk, tech house, rock...), but that I could still take them to school when i'm working in the studio (I'm an architecture student). So I would prefer either closed or semi-open, over-ear headphones, preferably with a case, which cost no more than 250$, and would benefit from a dac/amp, but could still be power from my macbook when i'm not at home.
I have considered Sennheiser Momentums. What do you think? Other suggestions?

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Give the ATH-M50's a try, it's pretty much what you are describing :)

These cans are closed, well, maybe semi closed? Anyway, they sound fairly flat, they're called monitor headphones. They've got 38 Ohms to power, they can be powered from phone/tablet/laptop/pc but will benefit from an amp and a good DAC.

So yeah, get these, they are well within that 250 USD and could say quite a bit less, you'll have more money to spend on a proper amp/dac that way :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 6
I suggest you wait for the momentum to be on sale, they can go for as low as $240 ish
You can also try the Creative Aurvana Live! which can go for as low as $60. It isn't all that durable but it's very light weight and has sound quality comparable to $200~ headphones :)
Give them a shot 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back