Audiophile usb interconnects.
Feb 21, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #16 of 31
Here is my experience with digital cables, but you guys can believe what you want on it.
What I have experienced in testing prototype cables, is for coax cable, one with extensive shielding (more like noise absorbing) and one with plain shielding, of the same cable can make a substantial difference. Not just subtlety like more detail, which it does improve in spades, but can change the soundstage as well where there is shift in positioning of the image. That kind of change for me is not found easily.
For USB cables luckily, using a Monarchy upsampler with a Transit grafted into it (done by Empirical Audio), does not make a difference. I have it passing though an active USB hub as well, and the USB interface is not affected by what it is passed through.

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Out of subject but... a glass TOSlink and a plastic TOSlink are basically the same thing? Did i waste 35 bucks on my glass toslink or wut?

No, I hear a difference in my setup. I actually prefer the sound of the plastic, it sounds more musical to me, eventhough the glass seems to have slighty more detail. However, there have been threads on this subject already which you can search for, so we don't need to get into whether there is a difference or not.

dshea

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
I've used 20' USB extensions, and they work fine. You can get even better range if you put a powered hub every 20' or so in the chain.

That depends on the device. Some won't get detected by the controller if there is too much signal attenuation. The USB specs only spec out to around 3m for that reason. Not every device won't work after 3m but some definitely don't.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #19 of 31
In my setup, a USB 2.0 cable is significantly better than a USB 1.1. There is more throughput in the signal so there is more bass, fuller sound, and more detail.
You can buy a cheapo monster usb 2.0 cable, or you can purchase a custom USB 2.0 cable from me for $200 per 6 inches. It may look like a regular USB 2.0 cable but that is part of its beauty... it actually contains iridium wiring with a flexible adamantium exoskeleton and bipolar sealant.
IMHO, this is the best upgrade an audiophile can buy.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

In my setup, a USB 2.0 cable is significantly better than a USB 1.1. There is more throughput in the signal so there is more bass, fuller sound, and more detail.

Same here, except I wouldn't say it's more bass, but rather just deeper bass, because the speed of the electrons physically displaces the diaphragm further. Greatest tweak EVAR.

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 31
Whoa, this sounds intriguing. I thought I was done with my cheap upgrades.

This may be a stupid question, but do you need to have specific hardware to run USB 2.0. My Mac laptop is only a year old so I think it supports USB 2.0. On my profile sheet it shows a setting for high speed USB in addition to a USB connection, would this high speed USB be 2.0?

I am connected to a Waveterminal U24, but does the Waveterminal have to support 2.0? I don't see any mention of 2.0 in the documentation. Is the plug different? or is it just a difference in the cable. Sorry for all the questions.

dshea

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #23 of 31
For a limited time only, I'm selling a sticker that will make any computer USB 2.0 compatible. Some people have reported that it does wonders for all audio devices. My friend pasted it across her forehead and suddenly she could kareoke like a champ.
The sticket will cost $200. If you buy it with my super special USB cable, I'll give you a $50 discount.

PS: Any fool who says that just switching my cable into a mouse to get better sound in itunes is a damn liar. Everyone knows that you need to sticker it too.

Feb 22, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by utdeep
For a limited time only, I'm selling a sticker that will make any computer USB 2.0 compatible. Some people have reported that it does wonders for all audio devices. My friend pasted it across her forehead and suddenly she could kareoke like a champ.
The sticket will cost $200. If you buy it with my super special USB cable, I'll give you a $50 discount.

PS: Any fool who says that just switching my cable into a mouse to get better sound in itunes is a damn liar. Everyone knows that you need to sticker it too.

Does that sticker work permamently, or will it loose its effect after being used ten times, like that red chip from a few weeks ago?

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
As always... YOU DECIDE.

If I was able to produce sane & sound decisions I would not inquire
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
If I was able to produce sane & sound decisions I would not inquire
wink.gif

You don't need to inquire- for the kind of "improvements" we're talking about here, you only need to decide what you want to hear and it will be.

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
You don't need to inquire- for the kind of "improvements" we're talking about here, you only need to decide what you want to hear and it will be.

No way, by that logic total bliss would be almost for free, and then this whole place becomes pointless.
biggrin.gif
I have just decided that my Cosmic sounds just as nice as Blockhead though, for starters. Now where is my medication...

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #30 of 31
so far I have 20 orders for the 6 inch cable, 13 orders for 1ft cable, and 1 order for a 100 ft cable. I've sold 6 stickers.
If people on head-fi decide to go for a group buy, I will lower my price by $5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back