Audiophile usb interconnects.
Feb 19, 2005 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
I wondered if something like that existed, since I want to get the best out of my
setup, which inclusdes an external usb soundcard. Do mind that I'm one of the
supersticious ones that believes in the power of the difference that hq cables
can make.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 31
jesus. no, it does not make a difference. optical cables, usb cables do not make a difference. digital = digital

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 31
A sheilded cable with ferrite cores at each end would probably reduce jitter and data corruption a bit, but the difference between a "stock" USB cable and an "audiophile" USB cable (if they even exist) most likely wouldn't be much bigger than the difference between a plastic optical cable and a glass optical cable.

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 31
Well since there are different quality versions of optical and dvi cables I also
thought about getting something better for my USB, but since it won't make
a difference I won't go wasting money for it, if it exists then.

It's all in my head.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 31
If the device is detected and connects, then the cable is working perfectly. If it does not connect, or if you're planning on running the USB cable an ungodly long distance, then start thinking of something a little better shielded. But as long as it connects, then it's getting a perfect signal, and spending money on a "better" cable is like spending money on rainbow foil.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 31
It is indeed a tad long, say 2.5-3.5 meters. But I really might not invest in
something like that then.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

It is indeed a tad long, say 2.5-3.5 meters. But I really might not invest in

"Long" in terms of these type of electrical signals would be measured in miles, not feet.

Just get the cheapest USB cable you can find. It will work exactly as well as any other.

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
hmmmm..no USB is pretty much limited to 3 meters, not miles...not sure why you think USB cables will work over those types of distances?
confused.gif

They wouldn't IIRC. But if you're worried about what distance you'd have to be looking at for a cable to make a difference (at the power requirements we're talking about), you're going to have to be looking at a map, not a room diagram...

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
hmmmm..no USB is pretty much limited to 3 meters, not miles...not sure why you think USB cables will work over those types of distances?
confused.gif

I've used 20' USB extensions, and they work fine. You can get even better range if you put a powered hub every 20' or so in the chain.

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 31
With Toslink, as far as quality go, glass and plastic should the same. The light gets there or it doesn't and makes a 1 or a 0. If you were doing a run of 1000 ft or so, you might want glass if the signal is dropping out, but with a meter, it makes no difference.

With the word audiophile in cables, you are just spending a lot more money for a well built cable that sounds like any other cable. There is no reason for cables to cost more than $50, except to make money off people willing to pay the premiums.

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 31
This was just what I needed to cheer up, thanks a bunch!
icon10.gif

The only things that could make a USB (or optical) cable more "audiophile" is some shielding (irrelevant on short range unless you live... well, inside a microwave-oven or something), using glass not plastic for excessive runs, and then some decent connectors. I think I parted with some... €10 or so for my optical cable, and I did so for two reasons:

1. It has nice connectors that sit tight and feel good.
2. It just looks better than the equally well €1,50 black thingy.

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 31
It is true that the optical cable will transfer the digital data intact, but glass has a measurably lower jitter than plastic (which is why glass is used in AT fiber runs rather than plastic). Whether we can or cannot identify the measurable jitter discrepancy is another issue entirely. Your science-only approach to audio is appreciated but at least dole out correct responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back