audiophile tablet - possibly usb/lineout
Feb 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I wonder if there exists a tablet with high quality audio either from headphone out or suing an external amplifier or dac/amp - wanted for streaming spotify

thanks

d

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 9
There does not appear to be such a device although I would be interested if someone knows of one. There seems to be little demand for this type. I've often thought it would be more suitable for audiophiles than small portable players like an AK100 if they listen at home often. As I have said before a tablet has many audiophile strengths: big battery to supply high grade electronics, lower restrictions for circuit board design, potentially long battery life, massive storage possibilty etc. Cost might be prohibitive as tablets are expensive devices as they stand at present. The thing is audiophile players mostly concentrate on sound whereas a tablet by its very nature is multi-functional. Audiophiles might prefer the greater purity of a dedicated player. Apple's players have good sound quality that will please most people but it's not really audiophile level. I can't imagine them making a tablet with a dual mono setup and fancy Wolfson or Cirrus DACs. Many buyers would be unable to appreciate the benefits while suffering the extra costs and lower battery performance.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Any windows tablet with a USB output?

I currently have a Surface Pro 2 to which I can directly hook up any USB dac. I also have a Dell Venue 8 Pro which I can also hook up to a USB dac via a USB OTG cable.

Works wonders.

Headphone output of the tablets.....don't even bother.

Paul

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 9

I currently have a Surface Pro 2 to which I can directly hook up any USB dac. I also have a Dell Venue 8 Pro which I can also hook up to a USB dac via a USB OTG cable

Paul

Does it work with portable self-powered DACs such as the Audioquest Dragonfly?

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 9
The Surface Pro certainly does. I will have to test the Venue 8, but wont get a chance until Tuesday.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Surface RT has worked fine with the handful of USB DACs I've thrown at it as well... Power's not an issue, but anything that would ordinarily require drivers on Windows 8 will be trouble on RT. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm currently using my Lenovo Thinkpad 2 as a portable audio device.  It has a duo-core Atom processor and comes with a full size USB port and a microSD slot that supports 64GB cards, so it easily fulfill my needs rather well.
The processor is fine for PCM when I use it with my Meridian Explorer but underpowered for DSD -> PCM on the machine.  However, when I use the iDSD nano from iFI, it plays everything properly, all the way until DXD and DSD128.

To me, the Thinkpad 2 is near its EOL so I'm looking at the next gen machines.  The new lower cost consumer tablet from Lenovo is the Ideapad Miix 2 10.1 (not the 11 inch) which uses a quad core Atom processor (Z3xxx atom processor); the 11 inch unit uses an i5 processor instead.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm currently using my Lenovo Thinkpad 2 as a portable audio device.  It has a duo-core Atom processor and comes with a full size USB port and a microSD slot that supports 64GB cards, so it easily fulfill my needs rather well.
The processor is fine for PCM when I use it with my Meridian Explorer but underpowered for DSD -> PCM on the machine.  However, when I use the iDSD nano from iFI, it plays everything properly, all the way until DXD and DSD128.

To me, the Thinkpad 2 is near its EOL so I'm looking at the next gen machines.  The new lower cost consumer tablet from Lenovo is the Ideapad Miix 2 10.1 (not the 11 inch) which uses a quad core Atom processor (Z3xxx atom processor); the 11 inch unit uses an i5 processor instead.

May I know what is the music play you are using on the Lenovo Thinkpad 2? Thank
Plan to pair Ideapad Miix 2 8 inch with NuForce uDAC-3 :)

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 9

I currently have a Surface Pro 2 to which I can directly hook up any USB dac. I also have a Dell Venue 8 Pro which I can also hook up to a USB dac via a USB OTG cable.

Works wonders.

Headphone output of the tablets.....don't even bother.

Paul

I happen to have the two same devices as the user and, yes, I confirm that the Dell Venue 8 Pro also works with a USB DAC (ODAC) via a male micro to female full-size OTG cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back