Audiophile Speaker Setup for Computer
Jun 4, 2008 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

[S]uds

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there, how's it going? I'm currently trying to configure the best sounding 2.1 Speaker System for my Computer, meaning near field(<1m) listening. I'm quite new to speakers, having just decided to make the switch from headphones to speakers, so I'm not sure where to best spend my budget(which is ~$750).

I am trying to configure it so that it would consist of a DAC, an Amp, Speakers, and possibly a Sub Woofer. This setup will be used at my computer mainly for music, but it will also be used for gaming and movies(hence what want for a Woofer). Music preference, if it matters in speakers like it does with headphones, is Progressive Rock/Metal, Reggae/Ska, and various other genres. Here is what I have come up with so far...

My first setup, which was configured with ease of use and space in mind consists of a pair of Audio Engine A5's, Dayton SUB-120 12", and a good DAC. This will cost approximately $500-$550.

The second setup was configured to get the best possible sound for the money, space not being a concern. It consists of either PSB B25's or AV123 X-Series, Dayton SUB-120 12", and a good Amp and DAC(combined or separate). This will cost about $750, my max budget.

I am hoping to get some valuable opinions from some members. Thanks for looking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 29
I ll also be following this thread as i too need some help here...

Btw..i am a Fan of Sub-woofers so i ll say this..

Sub-woofer is gonna be more important part of your speaker setup....coz if they suck then they will screw up your entire system.

Most Woofers distort & give Bass much more than needed ..donno about Audiophile level SW's though

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 29
I have the Audioengine A5's and they sound sweet.

Another set I am looking at are the Mackie MR5's...300 for a pair...I will be at Guitar Center the day they get a pair I can listen to.

Buy Mackie MR5 Active Studio Monitor online at Musician's Friend

An intresting PCI sound card is the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2...You can roll the opamps to taylor the sound of the card to your taste and speakers...Nice high quality DAC...Headphone amp...I ordered one last week...Still not here...GGGRRRRRR !!!!!!!!

AUDIOTRAK - Prodigy HD2

I tried a bunch of PCI computer sound cards with the A5's...They are very paticular about what you are feeding them...Nice sound card...Nice sound...Crummy sound card...Cummy sound.

That being said, from all I can gather from hanging around here for a short time you really would be better served buying a USB/DAC...I am just a buy it, try it, sell it kind of guy and decided to go with the Audiotrak HD2 before buying a DAC...Like the idea of playing with the opamps and modding the card via re-capping it.

But after all that business I will be buying a USB/DAC...Something like the FUBAR II or III...Trends Audio...Nothing over 200 bucks...Or right in that area anyway...I too want to try combinations in the 700-750 dollar range.

On the subwoofer end I have a Velodyne VX-10 connected to my A5's and it rocks the house...They can be had for about 150 duckies...Really makes a huge difference when playing at higher volumes and stuff with strong bass lines...Makes upright bass stuff and stuff like Stanley Clarke, Billy Colbham, Jeff Beck type fusion jazz really come alive.

I am looking at the 8" version of the Dayton before actually buying the VX-10...It can be had from PartsExpress for 199 bones...The 10" version may be a little overkill for something like the A5's or MR5's...The VX-10 is way more sub than the A5's need for sure.

Parts Expressayton HSU8 8" Powered Subwoofer

I went over to a friends house who has one of the discontinued versions of the HSU Dayton and I must admit it sounds killer paired with the A5's...I am going to take the VX-10 over to his house and do a side by side comparision...They both sound killer with the A5's...Wished I would have taken the VX-10 when I took the A5's over there.

That and some of my music...He is a Drum and Bass guy and really had nothing that I was familiar with...Really hard for me to get and idea of how the 2 compared.

One thing for sure...For 750 duckies you should be able to get a pretty sweet sounding set-up.

I know the A5's, VX-10 puts a smile on my face...A really big smile.

The A5's have "full range" RCA outs...So I have the VX-10 connect A5's out to VX-10 RCA in.

The VX-10 has a cross over if you connect it via speaker wires...So I am going to take a inexpensive pair of Radio Shack RCA's and chop one end off...Go out from the RCA's on the Audiotrak and connect them to the speaker inputs on the VX-10 and then take a mini to RCA...Chop the RCA ends off...Connect them to the VX-10 and go into the Audioengine's with the mini end.

Seems like the smart thing to do...If all that business helps the sound quality then I will attempt my first DIY project making some interconnects.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 29
Okay, it's decided. I am going with a set of Powered Speakers, most likely the Audio Engine A5. From all reviews I've read, they sound amazing. But I've also read they are already bass heavy(not boomy, good bass). This makes me question the need for a Sub Woofer. If anyone has any experience here, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what DAC I should get. I am thinking about the Keces right now, or even just keeping my Zero DAC and using the headphone Amp for my cans.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 29
I have the smaller A2 speakers and they offer a remarkable amount of bass for their size. I haven't heard the A5s, but I too have heard they offer plenty of bass for music. I would hold off on the sub; if you find you're missing the extra thump later you can always add it.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 29
I have a pair of A5's, and while they do deliver "good enough" bass for those on a budget, i find the bass lacking when it comes to the bottom end. when you start to hit those lower frequencies that are tight/quick I find the A5's bass begins to "rubber out" if you will and sound slightly similar to what you'd expect a rubber ball hitting a wall to sound like. I can live with it if I had to because the other aspects of the speakers sound amazing, but I am exploring sub options. I'm also pretty much using my computer as a cheap but pretty effective home theater setup so I want some rumble as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 29
If there is a Guitar Center in your area I would seriously recommend going and listening to the Mackie MR5's.

I am a AudioEngine fan boy if there ever was one...I love the sound quality of their speakers...I have had the A2's and now the A5's...Their customer service is easily the best I have ever experienced with any online vendor...Throw in the 30 day test drive and they are really hard to beat.

But for about the same money...Acutally a little bit less expensive...The Mackie's are something I would no doubt about it check out before buying the A5's.

You can pretty much bank on the A5's sounding good...I have only seen one thread where the guy was not totally impressed with the sound quality of the A5's.

I just hate buyer's remorse and think you really owe it to yourself to go and listen to the MR5's if possible.

There should be some real reviews on them coming out very soon.

Even the "preview reviews" I have seen seem to put a very favorable opinion of the MR5's.

My 2 cents.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 29
i "auditioned" the MR5s and the Yamaha 5" competing monitor. the Yamaha may have been slightly better for this purpose, and the sales guy said the Yamaha has a slightly more "hifi" sound to it. it's more expensive though, and you would need a sub i think.

Jun 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 29
You can't go wrong with PSB; they have always had good performance/value. I use PSB minis (roughly equivalent to the current B1) for my television. I used to have them in my office, but thieves stole my power amp, so I moved my office system into the living room. I think you could get by with the B15 just fine and save about $100 towards the rest of your equipment.

Scott

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 29
The M-Audio BX8a and BX5a monitor speakers are on sale ATM. M-Audio came out with new "deluxe" versions of those speakers so the old versions are being heavily discounted. Not sure how much longer they'll be available.

I just set up a desktop system for myself with the BX8a monitors. Finally I have good speakers at the computer to compliment the headphone listening. I don't have a sub and don't really want a sub (the downstairs neighbors are happy about that).

The BX8a monitors are a bit big for desktop use, but I have a big desk. They're also rear ported and need to be moved away from the rear wall. So I had to move my desk out from the wall. If your desk is up against a wall you'll want to make sure that the speakers you choose are happy about being close to a wall. Front ported speakers may end up working better than rear ported if you're up against a wall.

My setup is a Mackie Big Knob for volume control and input selection. The Mackie Big Knob also makes it easy to switch between the speakers and a headphone amp. Plug in the soundcard/DAC of your choice. Plug in powered monitors of your choice. Plug in a headphone amp or two of your choice. Makes for a good desktop nearfield listening system IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back