Audiophile Speaker Setup for Computer
Jun 9, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #16 of 29
Okay, I've decided on which speakers and amp to get(well, almost. Narrowed it down to 2). Here is what the setup will look like:

Computer -> Amp/DAC -> PSB Image B25/Monitor Audio BR2 -> X-Sub/Boston XB6

Now I have to decide on an Amp/DAC. I only have about $300 MAX to spend on an Amp and DAC(Combined or separate, doesn't matter). I currently have 2 in mind; the NuForce Icon and the KingRex T20U. Unfortunately, those are the only 2 in the price range that I could find. Space isn't a big concern, and the amp doesn't have to be able to drive the speakers to insane levels. The majority of my listening will be near field and low/medium volume.

Any opinions are welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I've decided on which speakers and amp to get(well, almost. Narrowed it down to 2). Here is what the setup will look like:

Computer -> Amp/DAC -> PSB Image B25/Monitor Audio BR2 -> X-Sub/Boston XB6

In situation like this more might be less, 6.5" woofers are a bit too big in my opinion given you 1m nearfield application. something smaller like the similar PSB B15 will likely image better and since you are using a sub you won't be missing anything in the low end.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In situation like this more might be less, 6.5" woofers are a bit too big in my opinion given you 1m nearfield application. something smaller like the similar PSB B15 will likely image better and since you are using a sub you won't be missing anything in the low end.

It may provide better imaging, but what about the other aspects of the sound? The B25 should be superior to the B15 in more ways than just the lower end, should it not? Such as increased sound stage and whatnot.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 29
Hi there.

I wanted a similar near field desktop system that would not own the table.

There were some old Bose Accoustimass 3 and 5's around. The 5's were too bright for near listening but the 3s worked well. I paired them to an '80's Cyrus One amp and then put an Apogee Duet on their front side.

Amazing sound for about $800 or so.

I know we all hate the Bose headphones but I have to give them credit for the Accostimass speakers. They work for me.

Regards

Sceptre

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

It may provide better imaging, but what about the other aspects of the sound? The B25 should be superior to the B15 in more ways than just the lower end, should it not? Such as increased sound stage and whatnot.

It's hard to say if the B25 would sound superior overall, but it looks like they use the same tweeter, so the treble should sound the same. The only difference is that they put the crossover point lower for the B15 which lowers the power handling slightly. It all depends on how well the drivers blend at the crossover point...that's the art in making speakers. Knowing past PSB speakers, I'm sure they both sound great.

Scott

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Assuming all things being equal between the 5.25" and 6.5" drivers the only (significant) difference would be low-end extension and distortion in the lower frequency ranges (cleaner bass). But since you are going to be integrating a sub into the system those points are more or less moot.

The rest of the speaker is probably nearly identical. The 5" woofer would probably have cleaner upper mid-range so the crossover point might be pushed up (as mentioned above) which would take some of the load off the tweeter (another advantage).

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 29
I've read that the B25 is very different from B15, much more balanced, neutral, same details and mids, and tight bass. This makes me think spending the $70 might be worth it over the B15. What do you think?

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #24 of 29
You might be able to find some used Era Design 4s on audiogon or the like, the pair it with an HK 3480 or similar to keep within budget. Hard to beat the Design 4 for desktop use. I have mine paired with a Musical Fidelity X-DACv8 and A5 integrated + a REL sub. Though I used an HK 3480 while waiting for my MF gear to come in. I was really impressed with the sound for the budget.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #25 of 29
Thank you for all the replies. I just have one quick question regarding recievers.

Does the Onkyo SR505 include a DAC that will work when hooked directly to my computer? They say is has a 192/24 digital-to-analog converters, but is that the same thing, as say, my Zero DAC/Amp has?

Edit: And it has a Sub Woofer out right? So I can hook up a sub as well.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

I've read that the B25 is very different from B15, much more balanced, neutral, same details and mids, and tight bass. This makes me think spending the $70 might be worth it over the B15. What do you think?

They shouldn't be that different. They share the same tweeter and the woofer is from the same line so it should be of similar quality. Unless they didn't put the same effort into the crossover they should sound pretty similar.

Keep in mind the application makes a big difference. If you are trying to fill a decently sized room there the experience could very well be described as "very different". The B25 has a 20% bigger woofer and a bigger cabinet after all, one is just going to sound "bigger".

Since you using them in nearfield & paired with a sub the bigger woofer of the B25 will be of little if any benefit and will probably just a hindererance due to the larger baffle.

Quote:

Thank you for all the replies. I just have one quick question regarding recievers.

Does the Onkyo SR505 include a DAC that will work when hooked directly to my computer? They say is has a 192/24 digital-to-analog converters, but is that the same thing, as say, my Zero DAC/Amp has?

Edit: And it has a Sub Woofer out right? So I can hook up a sub as well.

Yeah, any receiver that has digital optical/coax inputs will function as DAC. It wouldn't be on par with a dedicated DAC but it will work.

If I were you though I'd look for a good integrated amp that has subwoofer outputs and pair that with a dedicated DAC. Good 2 channel receivers don't really exist and 5.1+ channel receivers are big/bulky and you end up paying for features you'll never use.

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #28 of 29
Most subs will work fine with an integrated amp Very integrated have bass management, but most subs have how level inputs, so you run your speaker wire to the sub, then to the speaker. Using a REL sub was very easy to integrate.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Thanks for the response Operandi. Do you have a specific Integrated Amp w/ a Sub Woofer out that you could recommend?

No, I don't really have a specific amp recommendation in mind (that has good sub outs). I know they exist but most of them are actually pretty spendy come to think of it.

Iostream has a good point in that most mid-range and up subs will take high level and low level inputs and take care of crossing over to your main speakers. So that would have you covered no matter what amp you go with.

As far as amp recommendations I would suggest the Trends TA-10. It handled itself very well in this shootout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back