audiophile quality albums
Feb 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #273 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulw86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the idea of picking out audiophile quality albums just for the sake of testing out headphones is silly.

I think that statement is silly.
popcorn.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #276 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulw86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And your reasoning behind that statement?

For one, I meant no disrespect in that comment. For me personally, When I'm listeneing to any new audio gear, be it phones or amp or source, I want a nice clean, well mixed and recorded CD to listen to it on. And I usually use that exact same CD when testing new gear.

That way I can hear what differences let's say a new cable, CD player, DAC, headphone or amp offers in sound. Trust me, I like some loud rock music but I'd rather use a more mellow balanced "audiophile recording" as it were, to test new equipment.

I would think that many, many people here would agree. Now that I have answered you, explain why you think it's "silly".

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #277 of 340
I have to agree with madmax7 here, while it is useful to test new gear with records that I know inside out, I have a few albums I use just to get a kick out of new gear and listen to how good it can sound. Musically I am not that inclined to those albums. Some demo and reference albums I have get play time only for the wow factor.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #279 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsedgwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are MFSL UDCDs generally good audiophile releases?

In general the answer is yes. I own about 40 MFSL releases (on vinyl, SACD, and CD), and I can't think of one that I was disappointed with. Some are real stunners and when they go out of print they can get pretty pricey on the collector market. One of my favorites is B.B. King Live at the Regal.

--Jerome

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #280 of 340
MFSL UDCD's are good audiophile "versions" of the corresponding albums. Meaning that for that particular album, the Mofi pressing is one of the best versions you can have. If the original album was fairly well recorded to begin with, then the Mofi release will definitely be an audiophile reference disc. Examples such as Live at Regal (stunning album, the "live" sound is exceptional, Patricia Barbers Modern Cool, Pixies Doolittle just to name a few.

Feb 18, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #281 of 340
I think Robert Plant and Allison Krauss's new album Raising Sand is 1) amazing! 2) can really benefit from gear that paints the soundstage accurately. My best gear can place the voices and each instrument at the right depth and L/R placement...

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #282 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FSOL - Lifeforms

i was gonna say dead cities!

i take it for an audiophile recording it must be the best mastered recording, probably of a music you can listen 'deep' into (ie: not too much going on, so you can contrast the instruments, sounds with the more quieter (silence even))

me, i want music that takes me on a journey, plays on my emotions & makes me think. the recording should be 'good enough' quality so it doesn't interfere with that thought process.

but i'm guessing most people want both of these. both analytical AND emotive?

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #283 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MFSL UDCD's are good audiophile "versions" of the corresponding albums. Meaning that for that particular album, the Mofi pressing is one of the best versions you can have. If the original album was fairly well recorded to begin with, then the Mofi release will definitely be an audiophile reference disc. Examples such as Live at Regal (stunning album, the "live" sound is exceptional, Patricia Barbers Modern Cool, Pixies Doolittle just to name a few.

Thanks.

I have the MFSL Doolittle... it is FANTASTIC.

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #284 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the DVD-A of Muddy Waters Folk Singer any good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't know there was one...but I just ordered it from Amazon.com

By the way, this DVD-A is also from Classic Records so I suspect it will sound great.

--Jerome

Oh my.

I really don't even know where to begin in terms of using superlatives to describe this one. Simply amazing. Fantastic. Incredible.

Yes, the sound is extremely good. Very natural sounding. I would describe it as "analog" for lack of a better description.

But let me just say this: the music on this disc is simply ridiculously good. I can't remember the last time that I felt this way about an album. I doubt I could articulate what makes this music so great, all I know is that it has made a big impact on me.

Extremely highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back