audiophile quality albums
Sep 1, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #61 of 340
Quote:

Check out the handful of Audio Fidelity discs thats are still in print as well. Bad Company, Doobie Brothers, Deep Purple, and to a lesser extent the Faces sound great on the Audio Fidelity version.

Fantastic, I've been wanting a decent Bad Company and Deep Purple recording for ages. The ones I have are absolute s**t! Now I know where I can get them. Thanks for that
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #62 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E.S Posthumus: Combination of Orchestra (80 Piece), Choir (Worldwide), and Electronic Production work.

Celldweller: Heavy rock, bordering on mosh pit rock, blended with trance like electronic music. This music will test out a wide range of sound.

What Celldweller's and E.S. Posthumus' albums do you think are 'audiophile sounding'? I really dig 'Nara' and Harappa from E.S. and most celldweller songs.

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #64 of 340
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #65 of 340
Good stuff guys! I had never heard of George Winston before reading this thread and now I've been through December about 8 times... I can't get enough of it! Excellent study music. It should be even better closer to finals in December with (hopefully) snow and such
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #66 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good stuff guys! I had never heard of George Winston before reading this thread and now I've been through December about 8 times... I can't get enough of it! Excellent study music. It should be even better closer to finals in December with (hopefully) snow and such
smily_headphones1.gif

You can get several of the George Winston seasonal themes on Amazon for about 5$ each if you are lucky. Lot of good study music there.

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #68 of 340
Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter
Barenaked Ladies - All New Revue - Live at the Glenn Gould Studio
Michael Bublé - Call Me Irresponsible
cool.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #69 of 340
I've just started listening to Babatunde Olatunji - Circle of Drums (Chesky SACD) Man... thanks for the suggestions!

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #70 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've enjoyed the Chesky recordings very much. Great for appreciating soundstaging, airiness, imaging characteristics of your headphone. And damn nice jazz music too...I would recommend the Ana Caram albums if you like bossa nova jazz
smily_headphones1.gif

i second that... chesky discs are hard to come by in my area (Hong Kong), but it pops up occasionally on secondhand shops. I have 10 chesky cds in my collection, all good!

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #71 of 340
For classical -- any Decca recording of Charles Dutoit conducting the Montreal Symphony. Especially "The Planets" by Holst, or any of the Ravel and Debussy stuff.

Those discs are just so lush and detailed and perfectly realized. They sound incredible with my K701's.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #74 of 340
The Dark Side Of The Moon does not belong in an audiophlie albums list.

Its a fabulous fabulous album, and deserves the love it gets. But even the best releases of it are still fundamentally flawed. The same applies for any massively re-taped album (like Tubular Bells for example). Sound is simply not good enough no matter how clean the mastering is because the base master tapes quality isnt up to it.

Some other suggestions in this thread I also find a little contestable, but Stadium Arcadium takes the cigar. Even the Steve Hoffman mastering of that, which is an order of magnitude better than the stock, still isnt an audiophile record.

Donald Fagen, Dire Straits and Beck have been mentioned. All much better choices.

I'd like to throw out my nominations for Hank Shizzoe - Low Budget and Taj Mahal - Dancing The Blues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back