Audiophile/Consumer Headphones Influenced by Popular Music in Manufacturers Country?
Sep 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ruckus

Do you think Beyerdynamic headphones are well known for bass because their home country is one the best countries to live in if you love drum and bass, house, club music, trance music, and Heavy Industrial Rock.

I'm not Goth. But from just casual conversations, my understanding the current Goth culture has greatly been influenced by Germany. Goth rock music is also very Bass Heavy.

Trance/House - DjsAtWork, ATB, BlankandJones, Paul Van Dyk, Tomcraft are just some of the biggest names on Tour.

Industrial Rock:Rammstein, Megahertz, KMFDM, are only among the most well known.

Electronic Dance: Because I didn't know where to put them. VNV Nation. While founded by an Irish, if it wasn't for German fans and their German Label, I don't think VNV Nation would be as well known as they are today.

New Age: Enigma. Though born in Romania, studied and graduate in Germany. And who those who love Enigma I'm would say the beats and bass lines in his music is wonderful

So to recap:

Beyerdynamic Bass heavy because Germany is well known for their Trance, House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Goth Rock, Heavy Industrial sound?

Would make sense to me.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I think Beyer covers everyone. Lean(880), Mean(770), and in between(990). AFAIK, bass heavy cans are in the minority of Beyers higher end stuff. Maybe if you count the low end consumer stuff like the DTX-50.

Are you saying they are bass heavy or that you think they should make them bass heavy?

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 8
I was just thinking the reason why Beyerdynamics are bass heavy.

Would seem if you are a bass head, the DT770 especially is always recommended. And also others complain that its too much bass.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 8
I dunno about Sennheiser.

But I was just speculating about the Beyers. I know the DT880 and 990 have different sound, but overall from all the reviews of various Beyerdynamic headphones, bass has been the focus.

My speculation was because audiophile/consumer headphones are made to make the music sound great, not for monitoring and hearing every detail possible like professional audio. My guess was the types of popular music in German influenced the design of Beyerdynamic headphones.

EX: Grado

Seems unanimous, Grado headphones rock. They sound amazing for Rock is what the reviews are saying, whether you use SR60, SR225 or RS-1, Rock sounds great.

Grado: USA, New York. Well music history will tell you New York was the place to be when fledgling rock bands started and became huge. New York still is an amazing city for Rock music. Yeah yeah, USA loves all types of music I know. But still, USA has gone crazy for Rock. Nut crazy. I don't think USA music history has ever had fans as nuts for Rock as say even jazz. Country would come second, especially with that dude who was featured on People magazine a lot.

Grado makes headphones that makes rock sound awesome, cause where they are made, Rock is the music. My guess.

Does Hip Hop sound great on Grados? Haven't read any reviews that say much on that. But then when Grado was founded and manufactured, his son John continuing the work, Hip Hop was not popular at that time anyways. Plus wouldn't you say RnB Hip Hop fans are either girls who really don't care about headphones anyways, spending time in clubs waiting to flirt with some dude to convince him he should buy her a drink. Or some dude who wants to brag about how his entire car shakes and absolutely inconsiderate of anyone else with his subwoofer?

Big Generalizations I know... don't take my opinions seriously, nit picking, and looking for an arguement.

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Differences in popular music affect headphone design more over time than by region. Certainly the last decade or so has seen nearly all the headphone companies change to accomodate bassier popular music. There has, however, historically been a difference between headphones from Germany and elsewhere in the opposite direction from the one noted by the OP: up to fairly recently, the German sound was always bright and mercilessly clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back