Audiophile Changing your Musical Taste?
Aug 20, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 26
Audiophillia hasn't changed my musical tastes but is has definately broadened my horizion. I find myself still listening to the same genres but more new artists than ever before. For the most part I have the people here to thank for that.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 26
It introduce me to classical music. I'm not saying that i love classic music now, but i pretty much can stand and listen normally, which was impossible before ...
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 26
I just find myself listening to my really well mastered CDs more than my underground stuff. I'm not saying my taste has changed, because it hasn't. Also, I haven't really stopped listening to the stuff I used to, I just find myself listening to my new, amazing sounding CDs more than my others.

Then again, I guess listening to new CDs more than old CDs is normal...

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 26
I try to get into some of the more "audiophile" music, but I find that it isn't for me. Sure it sounds great, but I do not like the music. I think tastes in music change over time, but it should never be because of sound quality. I still listen to music that has horrible production, because I love the music. Do i wish it would sound better? Sure. I will still listen to it though.

Now seeking out versions of older albums I like with better mastering, that's a different story. MFSL, DCC, and the like, yummm...

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiophillia hasn't changed my musical tastes but is has definately broadened my horizion. I find myself still listening to the same genres but more new artists than ever before. For the most part I have the people here to thank for that.

Me 2. I have been turned on to alot of new music here. I am not a radio listener so the only exposure I had was through my children. I brought them up on a steady diet of 70's progressive (always listened to it in the car). So they tended to like underground type stuff in the 90's. My latest discovery has been Transatlantic and Porcupine Tree....lovin it
eggosmile.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #21 of 26
Before I had any nice equipment I mostly listened to main stream radio pop and rock. Then when I got some low/mid-end speakers that sound quite okay I noticed that there are much music that sound really bad and unnatural. I can't listen to music that sounds bad.

So, I have started to discover new genres like modern jazz/blues and slow rock as well as old music like Dire Straits. I have found much music that I like better than my old stuff and that sounds good too. Nowadays I firstly listen to the sound and if I like it I start listen to the music.

Sadly, much music in main stream pop/rock/soul genres are so badly mastered (loudness war) that I can't appreciate it
mad.gif
. Well, I can appreciate it in the budget sound system in the car
tongue.gif
. I hope that the loudness war will end soon
blink.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #22 of 26
I'm interested in what kind of music you listen to powertrip. Since you went from listening to underground to mainstream with high production values, I'm thinking either rock or hiphop, but just curious.

I, for one, began my journey into audiophilia as an almost strictly nu metal listener. After I purchased my first pair of sennheisers, (my beloved eH150's) I delved deeper into other genres. Now, if you look at my last.fm (linked in sig), you'll see a little of almost everything. My primary genre these days is doom or black metal, depending on the mood, and in those genres, sound quality would severely limit your music choices, so I try a little of everything I can get my hands on, regardless of whether or not it was recorded in a bathroom.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossfeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, much music in main stream pop/rock/soul genres are so badly mastered (loudness war) that I can't appreciate it
mad.gif
. Well, I can appreciate it in the budget sound system in the car
tongue.gif
. I hope that the loudness war will end soon
blink.gif

Thoroughly agree. Little point in listening with high grade equipment if the source material is reduced in SQ.

As for me, has my music appreciation changed?

Yes.

But how much is it to do with the music itself, particularly the quality of production, and how much is to do with other factors surrounding the artist and how much to do with how I've changed over time, I'm not sure.

I think mostly it's to do with the latter, with some degree of the former built into that.

For instance, I still love the best Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac recordings I grew up with (even though most of it has too much compressed production), but the less-than-best (that I listened to quite a bit 20 years ago) just aren't worth my time nowadays.

Don't know what that says except that in music appreciation we all grow, change, and develop over time.

For instance, a good mate of mine has gone very heavy metal over the last couple of years (previously rock/pop/orchestral/jazz/blues/world music background). Metal started out as a 'phase' he thought. Now it's an integral part of his music listening portfolio.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thoroughly agree. Little point in listening with high grade equipment if the source material is reduced in SQ.

You're missing out on some of the best music ever recorded. There is a 100 year history of recorded music, featuring many amazing performers who are no longer living. Listening to just current performers with modern recording technology is like just eating the crust on the top of a pie. There's more to it than you can possibly imagine.

Music is language. You need to turn on your brain and think about what you're hearing, not just how it sounds.

See ya
Steve

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #26 of 26
I must admit buying some decent gear has made me realize what I have been missing, So now if I hear about a great recorded album I will buy it.

It still as not stopped me buying all the usual Cd's I would have bought anyway.

It just means I now buy twice as many Cd's
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back