Audiophile Car Audio?
May 30, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 36
I think I'd prefer a 10" sub, as opposed to the 12" that you linked, however. My car [is to be] a 1973 VW SuperBeetle, which is rather small inside. I don't want to just hear bass. I don't like loose boomy stuff, either. evil dual 12" ported subs in a dinky Civic...

As for amps, I'm teetering between buying one and building one. I have some fairly simple designs (well, it's at the library...) that I could use. Up to about 500 watts RMS, if I remember right. From High-Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 30, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 36
MB Quart are some of the finest car audio speakers made (although I didn't know Dynaudio made any -- may have to look into that). Quote:

Originally posted by jms007bnd007
The main problem with car audio sounding good, is the fact that the car itself is not a good environment for producing good sound. There are all sorts of reflective surfaces, and there are obviously loud noises associated with driving. So the big thing in making an "audiophile" class sound system in your car is to deal with the interior of your car first.

I disagree with this -- it depends on the car. I mean, look at the PT Cruiser -- no parallel surfaces, hardly any corners. It's got to be good.

But I do agree with the "outside noise" issue. Definitely a big step in improving your car audio's performance is putting some audio dampening material in the doors and behind the firewall.

May 30, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #20 of 36
Unholy carp, Focal make car speakers? I may have to look into that, too.

May 31, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #21 of 36
I heard burmester is doing the sound systems for bugatti these days. I know McIntosh made some pretty sweet car audio stuff too.

Most of McIntosh's stuff can be found second hand for the price of new sony/pioneer/alpine stuff.

May 31, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #22 of 36
Don't forget about Fujitsu-Ten (Eclipse) Subs and Precision Power Amps. I had these and it is an amazing combo. Amps will run down to 2 hertz! It's amazing watching a woofer with 3 inches of travel peak to peak doing 2 hertz!

MB Quart Q-Series for speakers. Can't go wrong with that set up.

May 31, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #23 of 36
2 hertz? OK, so you'd see the sub move, and maybe watch the car fall apart... Here's a question. Can volume out of the range of your hearing damage you if it's above safe levels?

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 31, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #25 of 36
They are many high-end car audio brands. Many good ones have been mentioned.

In my old car a ran an Eclipse head unit, Rainbow speakers, Diamond Audio Mac daddy sub, ran off a ppi amp and an Arc audio amp running the component. You can get better equipment like Brax, Macintosh and Dynaudio but unless you spend thousands on the install you waste your money.

I would recommend checking out Focal, Rainbow and Mb Quart for speakers. Or also go can by high quality raw drivers match them with a good tweeter and build your own crossovers too.

There are numerous amps out their that are good such as, Arc Audio, PPI, and JL Audio. At least those are the ones that incite me.

For subs there are also many choices the new JL woofer is really nice or even Focal and Rainbow make some nice woofers.

Car audio is just like any other hobby, many brands at many price points. I would think though for a couple of grand if you did the install your self you could have something that sounded very nice.

Or you could easily spend 10 grand but would sound some better but probably not worth the extra cash.

Hope that helps.

Check out a forum that help me get started in that hobby. Elite Car Audio.com If you search the archives you can find a lot of good info. And people always love to tell you what they think is best.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #27 of 36
if i had the money to do so i would dynamat EVERYTHING. even the trunk and especially the firewall. also putting insulation under the hood will help. then i would either by ALL Mcintosh stuff or go mostly JL audio... definatly a JL subwoofer probably about 500watts rms, then i would go with infinity, boston acoustics, Pioneer, polk or JL, or Focal component speakers. and a JL amp. and a Alpine head unit. More specifically here's what i would get personally. If i had unlimited funds. lol

JL Audio HD Series HD600/4 4-channel amplifier 150 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield Signature

JL Audio Slash v2 Series 500/1v2 Mono subwoofer amplifier 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield Signature

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS PRS Series 6-3/4" component system at Crutchfield Signature
or
Polk Audio MM6501 6-3/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield Signature

JL Audio 12W7-3 W7 Series 12" 3-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield Signature

Alpine INA-W900 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield Signature

AND LOTS OF

The Official Dynamat Website

Enjoy if you have any questions about gear let me know. i LOVE car audio

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #29 of 36
Cool resurrecting the 2003 thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool resurrecting the 2003 thread
smily_headphones1.gif

thread_necromancer.png

--The last part isn't relevant, because the necromantic post is actually a valid contribution, but you get the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back