Audiophile Car Audio?
May 30, 2003 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

dustinyo

Head-Fier
sorry, i don't know if this is the right forum, but i thought i'd try anyway.

who makes the best sound car audio? like a real hi end audio company. i get a feeling Alpine isn't the best of the best in car audio, but i don't see much else.

i'm wanting to get a nice system for a car.

thanks

May 30, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 36
Dynaudio makes excellent car speakers.

May 30, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 36
The main problem with car audio sounding good, is the fact that the car itself is not a good environment for producing good sound. There are all sorts of reflective surfaces, and there are obviously loud noises associated with driving. So the big thing in making an "audiophile" class sound system in your car is to deal with the interior of your car first.

On the equipment side of the sound, I remember reading about Will Smith's suburban, that had Dynaudio and McIntosh stuff in it. Another less exotic approach would be to check out Nakamichi, I think they make some pretty good cd decks. Not sure about the best drivers though.....I always liked the Kenwood Excellon stuff.....but I'm sure there are nicer drivers out there.

May 30, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
Dynaudio makes excellent car speakers.

I agree Dynaudio makes incredible car speakers, but they're really expensive.

Mark Levinson makes a great car stereo system, but I believe they only make them for Lexus and don't sell aftermarket.

Linn makes car stereo for Aston Martin, but again I don't think they sell to the aftermarket.

You might want to make some inquiries if you're after the ultimate car stereo and you've got lots of money!

May 30, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 36
Alpine source are really good. My dream is to have a complete McIntosh system put in my car. Subwoofers by audiobahn are good. For an afordable system try Alpine cdp, and MTX amps (the better MTX amps are nice) Any of a bunch of good speakers.

May 30, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 36
The best CD *unit* in the world was the Sony CD-XC90, which was a pre/pro only, and cost 1200 dollars at crutchfield

www.angelfire.com/gundam/dej915/CDXC90.bmp

right click and hit Save Target As
biggrin.gif
, I got it off crutchfield a looong time ago
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

The best CD *unit* in the world was the Sony CD-XC90, which was a pre/pro only, and cost 1200 dollars at crutchfield

<voice = "Tim Allen Grunt">Eh?!</voice>

That looks very, very nice... I always figured there was something above Alpine. (I've seen the specs for them, and while they have a pretty good SNR, there's *always* something better...)

Anyway, here's an ePinions review.

Finally, what about subwoofers? A lot of speaker-based systems for audiophiles don't seem to have them. I've got a cheap Boston Acoustics 2.1 system on the computer that has a small sub, and while it's not as detailed as my cans, I do enjoy the punch. If no one's around, I often crank the speakers, and wear my cans. Get the punch and the detail
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 30, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 36
The best sub's I've found were the Sony XS-HS10/12, They're from the same range as the XC90, and they don't make them any more
frown.gif
, anyway...Infinity Kappa Perfects are probably your second best bet (the sony's can handle some major power...and no distortion, I think they started the metal cone craze in car audio)

Here's a hot sony one: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...o&i=158L1290P5
x158L1290p5-f.jpeg

May 30, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 36
Well, just to let you know, eBay had three CD-XC90 units. It had none of the Sony subwoofers you mentioned, D-EJ915.

I believe Crutchfield sells Kappa Perfects. Maybe Reference. Anyway, yeah, I figured they were pretty good. I believe I saw them in a car audio magazine once. That lovely white expanse... so pretty. Ah, there's a ton of them on eBay... BIN for about $120-$160...

Listening to Linkin Park just re-affirmed in my head that a sub is neccesary. I'm not a basshead, but for certain types of music, one needs a solid thump.

Our church has some JBL main speakers, and some Sony monitors. (for the band, not the mixer dude, who's my friend
very_evil_smiley.gif
He said the JBL's are good for about 350 watts, and the Sonys about 200 watts or so. The JBL's have a woofer, midrange, and horn tweeter. I dunno what the Sony's have. Prolly a woofer and tweeter. We had a lock-in there once and took over the sound system. We popped the monitors over on their sides and aimed them out. Their amp has around 700 watts, however, so we had to stop around 1/3 up on the slider. But it was loud... and clear...

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 30, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

It had none of the Sony subwoofers you mentioned, D-EJ915.

I'm not surprised, they are the best Sub's in the car business (new ones handle more but sound baaad)...I don't see why people would sell their XC90's, it just doesn't make sense, anyway...still the best one, if you've got the dough ->go, just be warned that you'll need separate amps for power, since it doesn't have any
biggrin.gif
, I'd recommend the matching 80*4 amp (or something like that) that cost 800 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back