Audiophile cables, an interesting question.
Apr 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #512 of 1,186
  I had someone set my cables up for me. Couldn't see behind the rack. I tried controlling it like that. 

There is a LOT more to controlled listening tests than that. If you are interested in going to the trouble to do a proper comparison test, there are plenty of folks here who would be happy to give you advice. We've all done tests like these ourselves.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #513 of 1,186
  Dude I have been reading what people write learning all sorts. I like how you said "might be clueless on" Could you be warming up to me? 

Charming don't cut it here.

They aren't ignorant opinions, when you and I base our opinion on a difference set of facts.

You have yet to demonstrate that you understand the rules of evidence sufficiently to establish a scientific fact.

I could be crazy but there are a lot of crazy people

Fine, you won't be lonely.

Any suggestions as to what I should try next at work? 

Get an honest job, like, say... a lawyer, or a real estate agent.

w

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #516 of 1,186
I posted it too, but he hasn't bothered to look at it.

What's the point of helping someone figure something out when they don't make any effort themselves to do their homework?

I have and it was one of the links to which I referred with I mentioned articles about wire gauges. I also referred to it in my post.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #517 of 1,186
What did it say about audibility?

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #522 of 1,186
I LIKE PURPLE!

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #523 of 1,186
It says a lot about it. Which specific parts are you referring to? It's mainly about speaker wire gauges and how that affects sound etc. there's a lot about audible and inaudible differences.

Did you see this part? And did you take note of Roger Russell's resume?

The Big Picture
There is big money to be made in wire, not only speaker wire but all kinds of exotic wire—hookup wire, audio cables, power cables and a wide variety of speaker wire including the new term of “speaker cables.” The term cable implies more robust and heavy duty qualities than wire.

I have learned from one wire company that much of this exotic wire is not manufactured in the USA at all. It comes from places like Taiwan and China. It can be bought in industrial quantities at surprisingly little cost and sold for tremendous profits. Custom runs in large quantities, can be purchased having any number of different features and are not a problem for versatile wire manufacturers. It can even be made with various terminals already installed.

The strategy in selling these products is, in part, to appeal to those who are looking to impress others with something unique and expensive. There is also pride of ownership and the belief that if it costs that much it must be good. It reminds me of the Percy Bysshe Shelley poem Ozymandias but for speaker wire it translates to “Look upon my expensive wires ye mighty and despair.” It will always sell to those who want the latest thing and would spend as much for a Rolex watch as they would for wire. Of course, there are ordinary watches that will tell time accurately they but don’t have that name or that price.

Another part of the strategy is to capitalize on the lack of truth in advertising, particularly the whole truth. Perhaps the two words “truth” and “advertising” are on opposite extremes but half of the truth can be worse than a lie. I don’t think the average consumer is any match to cope with the persuasive sales “hype” of professional salesmen praising a questionable wire science and doubtful benefits.

When confronted with the truth, believers do not want to hear about it. They want to remain in the magical world of fantasy where they think they can hear improvements in their wire, often arrived at by making listening tests without adequate controls or understanding of the problems involved including speaker impedance and amplifier stability. One of the prime tools in creating such a faith for the average consumer is by capitalizing on fear and ignorance as in many other things that aren’t readily apparent. There is fear that the wire currently in use is not good enough. There is ignorance because most people do not have scientific knowledge in this area and lack adequate measuring equipment to prove otherwise.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #525 of 1,186
You should put a $2 mono price RCA to RCA in there, maybe the Chinese cables that come with cheap CD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back