Audiophile cables, an interesting question.
Apr 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #542 of 1,186
My whiskey has a flavor. My cables don't.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #543 of 1,186
Assessing the differences in single malts and cables are in no way related.  It's an unworkable analogy.

I say that as someone with significant investments in headphones and over 300 bottles of high end whiskey, over 80 of which are single malts.

I've actually done some testing before - people can tell the difference between single malts the vast majority of the time.  No one has ever passed a cable DBT.

Now that that's out of the way, what's your favorite single malt?  I'm a huge fan of the whole Glengoyne line, particularly the 21 year old.  Macallan 25 y/o fine oak is another favorite, though not an every day drink due to cost.
Have you tried many of the Japanese singles?  Some of them give the traditional houses a run for their money.

For everyday my personal preference is the Springbank 15. I agree the Macallan 25 is great.

Have you had a chance to sample the Macallan 50? I bought one bottle to celebrate my elevation to partner in my law firm. Now that was spectacular.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #544 of 1,186
All this talk of cables and whiskey makes me thirsty, got a bottle of Dewars 12 and a 15 year old interconnect from a compaq pc speaker system, you know the kind with the bright green ends on it..plug that into my t50rp and enjoy. For all the people out there who believe cables matter i have a lovely bridge i'd like to sell.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #546 of 1,186
If a cable has a red and white stripe wraped around it does it make the sound "peppermint"?

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #548 of 1,186
My whiskey has a flavor. My cables don't.

There was this one time (could have been at band camp, i cannot recall precisely) when I actually chewed on some speaker cable in a rough-ass effort to strip it. It did distinctly have a taste. However I would not call it a flavor.

And while alcohol consumption is arguably an act of slowly filling ones body with a usually awesome, oft umbrellaed, mixtures of toxins, I'm quite sure the consumption of various dielectrics, copper and silver simply cannot be good for you. Even the ohno continuous cast types.

Having said that, Amazon is a little late on some of my stuff so the SYS will take another week to get to me from my forwarder :frowning2:
Is it a holiday or something in the US? And if so, where are the SALES!!! announcements?

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #550 of 1,186

There was this one time (could have been at band camp, i cannot recall precisely) when I actually chewed on some speaker cable in a rough-ass effort to strip it. It did distinctly have a taste. However I would not call it a flavor.

And while alcohol consumption is arguably an act of slowly filling ones body with a usually awesome, oft umbrellaed, mixtures of toxins, I'm quite sure the consumption of various dielectrics, copper and silver simply cannot be good for you. Even the ohno continuous cast types.

Having said that, Amazon is a little late on some of my stuff so the SYS will take another week to get to me from my forwarder :frowning2:
Is it a holiday or something in the US? And if so, where are the SALES!!! announcements?

Easter is on its way but shipping times have never been faster, amazon 2 day normally shows up next day and if i'm willing to pay an extra $6 it shows up before 8pm same day. Now if its not shipping from amazon directly i have had packages take weeks. They should have painted 100% silver stripes on the boxes to make handing times faster.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #551 of 1,186
If a cable has a red and white stripe wraped around it does it make the sound "peppermint"?

Don't be silly, it's a cable you lick before you hook it up, so you have that peppermint taste and the saliva helps the electrons travel more freely.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #552 of 1,186

No, I mean a cable that would actually taste of peppermint, or whatever.

I actually had the Flav-R-Cable idea some time back. I'd made some "vintage" guitar cables for a friend of mine (just had my braiders cover some Mogami W2524 with cotton). He later sent me this photo which inspired the Flav-R-Cable idea. :D

se

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #555 of 1,186
For everyday my personal preference is the Springbank 15. I agree the Macallan 25 is great.

Have you had a chance to sample the Macallan 50? I bought one bottle to celebrate my elevation to partner in my law firm. Now that was spectacular.

Springbank 15 - yum.

You're a lucky man on the Mac 50.  I'd love to try it but the bottle cost is too high right now and the price of a single dram where available is outrageously overpriced (at least for my wallet)

Did have a chance to have some of the limited edition Glengoyne 35 they recently released.  Can't compare it to the Mac 50, but I suspect we would like them both.

End - off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back