Audiophile amp for speakers & headphones?
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

meekers

New Head-Fier
I'm developing a small but high quality recording studio and have come to the point of looking at getting some top quality amplification for headphones and speakers. I have a pair of Mackie HD626 Active Studio Monitors and am about to purchase Sony SA5000 headphones for monitoring. Can anyone save me some time (researching these things is a minefield!) be telling me:

1- Can I get a single, audiophile quality amp that will be great for both active speakers and quality headphones?

2- If so, which models would you recommend for under £1500 / $3000 ?
P.S. It's an analogue studio and I'm partial to tube gear but at the same time want accurate, neutral gear.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated!

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 19
If you are partial to tubes, the Cary Audio 300-SEI integrated amp is an amazing output transformerless single ended tube head amp and a pretty great speaker amp. It falls nicely into your budget on the used market and will drive most reasonably efficient speakers.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 19
The Cary SLI-80 is also a good choice. More power (40W/ch 4 ohm, 80W/ch 8 ohm) than the 300-SEI or the Woo 5, so more real-world speakers can be driven at real-world volume levels. It also is a VERY good headphone amp.

I would look on A-gon for the Signature F1 version. This is a modestly upgraded amp that was bought originally from Upscale Audio. The the triode-only, 40W/ch version has almost all the sweetness of an SET but with more power. You can almost get it new from Upscale at the price you are considering.

Good luck!

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, the SLI-80 is also VERY good but the 300 is just magic. You are far less limited on speakers with the SLI-80 but the 300 will run an efficient Focal or almost any Tannoy among others.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 19
very satisfied with the Eddie Current ZDT.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 19
missed the active monitor part...

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 19
Everyone is recommending specific high-end speaker amps to someone who has powered speakers. Talk about lack of synergy!

So, you have $1400/pair active monitors and $350 headphones, and you're ready to spend up to $3000 on a preamp with headphone output? Totally not worth it. Do you have a separate budget for the rest of the gear for your studio? I recommend that you look at your total budget for the entire studio as a whole and see how best to divide it up between everything you need. You may find, for example, that the money you put into acoustical treatment will pay far more dividends than the miniscule differences between preamp #1 and preamp #2.

Also, read this article about mixing on headphones. The author points out a concern mixing on the SA5000.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 19
You could also opt for the Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA. Ask Vinnie to configure the DAC RCA outs as variable to be controlled by the volume knob thus you would not need a pre-amp. If you need multiple inputs including analog ones then an used Isabella would be in order.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 19
I am also shopping for a tube headphone amp/pre-amp to work with powered monitors. One unit that looks to have very good sound is the Decware Zen Select CSP-2. However, it may or may not be suitable for low impedance cans due to it's OTL design...

I wonder if somebody makes a quality tube headphone amp with pre-amp features that will work well with both high and low impedance cans? Although I am also planning to get high impedance cans such as the 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic dt880's so it really wouldn't be a problem, but it would be nice to have a flexible system...

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going with active monitors, then I would suggest this, HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (GS-1 Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp)

I've never heard the GS1 but it is well regarded and is said to be very neutral and accurate.

Actually He needs a GSX due to the Active Monitors. =)

But it should be a safer bet due to the nuetrality requirement.

But all in all. Puting a pre-amp with active Monitors will still give some coloration to the sound. Specially if you plan to have a tube based pre-amp.

I'm actually using a RSA Apache also a headamp/preamp unit. I'm using nEar05 near fields and using the apache as a volume control/preamp. The Simplicity of the setup is a very nice advantage. With a flip of a switch i go from my headphones to monirotrs and adjust the volume at the same place.

I didn't recommend my system as it is nowhere neutral. Due to the Apache's house sound. And I actually love the bit of warmth the preamp is giving my monitors.

IMO If you plan to do recording just stick with a mixer. My old Mackie was nice w/ my nEar05s but they were a bit dry and bright for my taste. =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also shopping for a tube headphone amp/pre-amp to work with powered monitors. One unit that looks to have very good sound is the Decware Zen Select CSP-2. However, it may or may not be suitable for low impedance cans due to it's OTL design...

I wonder if somebody makes a quality tube headphone amp with pre-amp features that will work well with both high and low impedance cans? Although I am also planning to get high impedance cans such as the 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic dt880's so it really wouldn't be a problem, but it would be nice to have a flexible system...

The only amp I can think of tube with pre-amp and headamp with gain control is the B52. And it should drive 600 ohms if you go balanced. =)

I'll try to read your link.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 19
I found another possible contender, the Experience Head One Reference Tube Headphone Amplifier from Trafomatic Audio out of Serbia. It is a transformer coupled headphone amp.

There is a very extensive article on Trafomatic amps over at 6 moons audio which briefly mentions the Head One amp:

"Sasa had also dispatched his matching black-glossed € 870 Experience Head One headphone amp with 2 preouts which thus can serve as a dedicated preamp. The Head One runs a pair of 6S45P triodes with 1.8dB of negative feedback on the outputs while one EZ80(81) serves as indirectly heated rectifier.

Two inputs switch via rear-mounted toggle, the preouts allow for biamping or subwoofing. The right frontal four-pole control knob selects from 30, 100 and 300-ohm loading for the headphone output or preamp duty. Max output power on the 1/4" socket is 300mW while preamp gain on the pre-outs is 18dB, with a max voltage swing of +/9V.

Beyond the expected Trafomatic trannies and choke, parts include Rubicon electrolytics, an Alps potentiometer and metal-film resistors."

There is a thread about it here at head-fi also that I just found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back