Audiofly AF140 Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN Tour Thread and Impressions
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #92 of 137
Cool! I'll check which track and which album it was, but one if the Robert Cray tracks was epic on the AF140 - it felt like I could have walked around amongst the musicians

It's funny you say that because I've had the same sensation with a few albums using AF140, like I was actually there, or least close I've found (in a strange way) to a live presentation, it's really peculiar how the earphone does this under a slightly darkish mid-range. If I stick with AF140 long enough (say a few hours) then go back to a bright / analytical IEM, say Altone, or Dunu DN-1000 they sound completely artificial and fake. Yes, brighter, clearer though very fake and coloured. So I certainly think Audiofly new what they were doing with the tuning here.

I'd love to try or review their flagship AF180 or the AF160. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #94 of 137

It's funny you say that because I've had the same sensation with a few albums using AF140, like I was actually there, or least close I've found (in a strange way) to a live presentation, it's really peculiar how the earphone does this under a slightly darkish mid-range. If I stick with AF140 long enough (say a few hours) then go back to a bright / analytical IEM, say Altone, or Dunu DN-1000 they sound completely artificial and fake. Yes, brighter, clearer though very fake and coloured. So I certainly think Audiofly new what they were doing with the tuning here.

I'd love to try or review their flagship AF180 or the AF160. 

I get that sensation whenever I switch from a natural sounding IEM to something brighter
That's why I can only really listen to the Dunu's with synthetic genres, instruments just sound off at times

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #95 of 137
Just bought a pair.

Tried the AF120, and found the tone waaaay off. Too glassy/metallic and shallow. The AF140 kicks the AF120 into touch (you'll understand what that means if you play rugby union:wink:) The mids are meatier and the sound is just fuller across the spectrum. Not fatiguing at all. I can listen to these all day, and they sound very expansive. Are they worth $349 AUD? Yep. Triple driver, natural sounding etc. There have been some questioning whether a new company can charge that much, and, well, yes because they know what they're doing…. Think Audeze LCD-2.2 with a more prominent treble, and thats what the tone reminds me of. Also, the bloody things are SUPER comfy. Found the nozzle on the Aurisonics too big, and would have sore ear holes after wearing them for a while. GREAT BUY!! I doff my flat cap to Audiofly:)

If Audiofly is listening, I would have gladly paid extra if you had built them here in Australia too. Thanks to the current government, manufacturing is going down the pan here..

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #96 of 137
  Just bought a pair.

Tried the AF120, and found the tone waaaay off. Too glassy/metallic and shallow. The AF140 kicks the AF120 into touch (you'll understand what that means if you play rugby union:wink:) The mids are meatier and the sound is just fuller across the spectrum. Not fatiguing at all. I can listen to these all day, and they sound very expansive. Are they worth $349 AUD? Yep. Triple driver, natural sounding etc. There have been some questioning whether a new company can charge that much, and, well, yes because they know what they're doing…. Think Audeze LCD-2.2 with a more prominent treble, and thats what the tone reminds me of. Also, the bloody things are SUPER comfy. Found the nozzle on the Aurisonics too big, and would have sore ear holes after wearing them for a while. GREAT BUY!! I doff my flat cap to Audiofly:)

If Audiofly is listening, I would have gladly paid extra if you had built them here in Australia too. Thanks to the current government, manufacturing is going down the pan here..

The AF140s are awesome, but not sure about the LCD-2 + treble comparison - that might depend on your setup because I find my LCD 2s (Dec 2013, non-Fazor) to have a bit more treble than the AF140, but that's just a technicality and question of perception. What matters is you have a great pair of earphones and they sound awesome - congrats!!

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #97 of 137

The AF140s are awesome, but not sure about the LCD-2 + treble comparison - that might depend on your setup because I find my LCD 2s (Dec 2013, non-Fazor) to have a bit more treble than the AF140, but that's just a technicality and question of perception. What matters is you have a great pair of earphones and they sound awesome - congrats!!

Yeah, thanks:)

Good to support a local company too.

My head must be wired differently;P

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #98 of 137
  Yeah, thanks:)

Good to support a local company too.

My head must be wired differently;P

Yeah, the Audiofly guys are great.

Perhaps it's just a question of different sources and amps - I use my LCD 2s on an amp I never tried with the AF140s so it might just be my varying setup.

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #99 of 137

Yeah, the Audiofly guys are great.

Perhaps it's just a question of different sources and amps - I use my LCD 2s on an amp I never tried with the AF140s so it might just be my varying setup.

I used to have a Rega P5>Violectric Phono stage>Woo WA22>LCD 2.2 .. and I still miss it:frowning2: These AF140's tonally fill the void for me…:) (With my perceived stronger treble hehe:))

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #103 of 137
Experimenting tip rolling again with the AF-140, and I think that these earphone benefit alot of large bore eartips. It just gives a lot of air, stage and treble extension. So the trick is to get some tips stems over to be able to put some larger bore ones over and keep them in place. I really like the UE balanced double flange on the AF-140. Isolation and fit is good and I get good amount of details and the good far reaching bass. So for people who think those are a bit 'dark', this is the trick really.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #104 of 137
I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of these last night, they will be with me tomorrow.  
It was a toss up between these and the Fidue A83,  but after a lot of reading these seem to be more of what I am looking for compared to the A83.

Looking forward to getting my hands on them (or should I say ears), I still get that "like a kid waiting to open his Christmas presents" feeling when I order stuff 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back